Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

APS Oil Pan Drain Plug Size (?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:42 AM
blackfairlady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default APS Oil Pan Drain Plug Size (?)

I've called a few different shops and I am getting different answers as to whether the APS finned oil pan uses the same size plug as the OE Pan.

Can anyone give me a definitive answer?
Old 09-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Ixyl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It uses a different size drain plug, 14mm x 1.5.

The parts list calls out for a 14mm x 20mm washer to be used with it, but a standard copper M14 size will fit.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:12 PM
blackfairlady

Originally Posted by Ixyl
It uses a different size drain plug, 14mm x 1.5.

The parts list calls out for a 14mm x 20mm washer to be used with it, but a standard copper M14 size will fit.
I'm assuming you have the APS pan? How's your experience with it?

This is going on an N/A car btw, but I need a new pan anyway, so figured I would upgrade.

Oh, another thing, the plug that comes with it isn't magnetic by any chance, right?

And it's an M14 x 1.5 pitch? In other words, you're not saying to use a 14mm socket, but the actual metric size is 14mm, right? Cuz I just bought the pan, and called the auto parts store, and they have an M14 x 1.5 magnetic drain plug waiting for me.

Last edited by blackfairlady; 09-22-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:21 PM
blackfairlady

Come back online Ixyl!

Old 09-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Ixyl

Just put the pan on this weekend. The Plug that comes with it does not appear to be magnetic (bolts didn't stick to it in the bag of parts). 14mm is the size of the thread, not the socket required (socket = 13mm). Careful torquing the plug before the fill, it's going into aluminum. I used 22 ft/lb and that felt a little sketchy (probably use 20 ft/lb in the future).

Also, follow the bolt tightening pattern in the service manual when you install the pan.

Ixyl
Old 09-24-2008, 12:01 PM
blackfairlady

Just put the pan on this weekend. The Plug that comes with it does not appear to be magnetic (bolts didn't stick to it in the bag of parts). 14mm is the size of the thread, not the socket required (socket = 13mm). Careful torquing the plug before the fill, it's going into aluminum. I used 22 ft/lb and that felt a little sketchy (probably use 20 ft/lb in the future).

Also, follow the bolt tightening pattern in the service manual when you install the pan.

Ixyl
Will do. Do you remember if it was the same size as the factory plug? That's what I'm hoping.

I will definitely heed your warning about torquing. I have hear these pans like to strip. Aluminum anything likes to in motors (i should know ).

I just had to place another order for an APS pan because the first company failed to inform me that theirs are on backorder til God knows when. I don't have a car until I get a new pan. Anyway, this new vendor said they have plenty in stock. They better!
Old 09-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Ixyl

Not the same plug as stock. Not a bad idea to go magnetic, may do that myself after the next oil change.

Something else to keep in mind:
Not sure what year you have, but in an 06 there is a baffle plate around the oil intake that needs a little modding to let things clear once you install the intake spacer. The plate is held on by five little screws that are threadlocked in, so have a tube of locktite 'blue' handy if you have to remove it. Those screws are only tightened to ~12 in/lb (1 ft/lb), but check the service guide on that one...

Ixyl
Old 09-24-2008, 07:25 PM
blackfairlady

Not the same plug as stock. Not a bad idea to go magnetic, may do that myself after the next oil change.

Something else to keep in mind:
Not sure what year you have, but in an 06 there is a baffle plate around the oil intake that needs a little modding to let things clear once you install the intake spacer. The plate is held on by five little screws that are threadlocked in, so have a tube of locktite 'blue' handy if you have to remove it. Those screws are only tightened to ~12 in/lb (1 ft/lb), but check the service guide on that one...

Ixyl
Check my sig, I have an '04.

I wish I knew the exact size of the plug so that I can check autozone or somewhere to see if they have it. I had to special order the OE replacement magnetic plug online. $20 later.... and now I can't use it.

Well, I guess that's what the classifieds are for.

Anyone know the EXACT size of the drain plug? None of the vendors even know! I've asked 4!!! wtf is that. APS won't return my e-mail. Real nice.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:21 AM
coachk
Banned

OEM plugs are 12mm x 1.25............ APS are 14mm and iirc its a 1.5 thread pitch

Last edited by coachk; 09-25-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:25 AM
Cain

they are the same as the Mitsubishi

i got an e-mail from aps saying its 14x1.5

make sure you do it up, i ran for about 500m with no sump plug as mine fell out. thankfully i was driving it hard so the oil never had a mass chance to reach the sump hole, untill i reached my destination where all $130 worth of brand new oil recoated the concrete thankfully no engine damage was done
Old 09-28-2008, 08:54 AM
blackfairlady

Originally Posted by Cain
they are the same as the Mitsubishi

i got an e-mail from aps saying its 14x1.5

make sure you do it up, i ran for about 500m with no sump plug as mine fell out. thankfully i was driving it hard so the oil never had a mass chance to reach the sump hole, untill i reached my destination where all $130 worth of brand new oil recoated the concrete thankfully no engine damage was done
At least APS returned your e-mail! haha

That's some story, by the way. Man-oh-man. Glad you did no damage.