Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have any suggestions, sorry
Old 12-25-2009, 07:02 AM
B1nKs
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was really hoping to have more info about OS Giken LSD since that is one I am really interested in. Does it make noticable noises is my main question..what about on long trips ? Cusco RS still cheaper than Quaife for base models ?
Old 12-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't see what long trips has to do with how an LSD performs - it's inconsequential. The full description, in detail, of each of these LSD's can be found on our site in the drivetrain section:

http://www.z1auto.com/submodel.asp?m...&cat=driveline

The Cusco is not less than the Quaife for a base. The most cost effective solution will depend completely on what the car is being used for.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:25 AM
jmccarty

I have had enough listening to my Nismo LSD chatter away so I have ordered a Quaife QDF13L.

My tuner/mechanic says it will not chatter when new but eventually will also start to chatter. Do any of you with a Quaife LSD have this experience over time or have any thoughts on this?

If it starts making noise after daily driving and the occasional track day at 50,000km (20,000-30,000 miles) I will not be worried about it and will just replace it.

I did see mention of changing the fluid and of different fluid suggestions, any consensus on what is a good interval and best fluid in general?
Old 06-12-2010, 07:57 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,578 Likes on 2,037 Posts

My car is a 3/06 build. Do I need to be concerned with this:

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ne&prodid=2349

Please note, some 2006 + cars come with different output shafts vs previous cars and one shaft may need to be trimmed down for proper installation. Instructions are included for how to perform this.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:02 PM
drivesolo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Type of LSD:
OS Giken Super-lock

Can i Change the Lock-up rate?:
Not really, comes from OS set to 100% but can be customized on special request to OS.

Type of Driving you Do:
Autocross, Track Lapping Days, daily driving when the weather is dry.

Type of conditions you live in:
Pacific Northwest (Seattle area), Rainy conditions 7-8 months out of the year. Winter time lows rarely drop below freezing, summer highs rarely exceed 100F.

LSD Loudness:
1/10, only audible during tight parking lot maneuvering.

Overall Impression:
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...sd-review.html

Recommend to Others?:
Yes.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:02 PM
MKZ33

So I just read through this entire thread as I am looking in to throwing a LSD at my 04 base but I have heard no mention of the Tomei 2 way, does anyone have any experience with this diff? My shop is recommending the Tomei and they have earned my trust over the years but of course I would like to do my homework.

So i am just currious as to your thoughts on this? reliability, strengh, noise level and performance.

I know the Tomei is definitely more of a track/drifting diff with the clutch disk system and I have hear good things about it but I guess i am looking for a insiders review.

Thanks guys,
Old 07-06-2010, 05:51 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

You didn't say what kind of driving you will be doing. For a DD I would go with the Cusco or if you can afford it the OS Giken. For drifting Tomei if you are a cheap *** or Quaife if you aren't.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:59 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up Nismo LSD

Type of LSD:
Nismo GT LSD

Yes 60,80,100

Type of Driving you Do:
Weekend fun car. Plan to do autocross, drag, etc.

Northeast: Teens in the winter( Doesnt get driven much in the winter) General 80's in the summer.(BUT IT HIT 100 TODAY )

LSD Loudness:
7/10, General driving there isnt much noise but your average right hand turn you will probly here a pop or 2. Parking lots make quite a bit more noise. I've been asked a few times, "WTF is wrong with your car?!" I laugh.

Overall Impression:
Completely transforms the nature of the car. Besides the popping and clunking the car almost feels tamer. Less of an animal so to speak. High speed long turns are so fun and the car gives you much more confidence. Straightline launching is a complete different story. The car just digs and goes. With the 4.08 gears far and away the best mod done to the car yet.

Recommend to Others?:
Yes. If your car is a weekend fun or secondary car. Questionable almost no way if you daily drive it.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:21 PM
MKZ33

Originally Posted by dikspiel
You didn't say what kind of driving you will be doing. For a DD I would go with the Cusco or if you can afford it the OS Giken. For drifting Tomei if you are a cheap *** or Quaife if you aren't.
It will be daily driven and track/drift days once a month

Do you have a logical reason for why you say "Tomei if you are a cheap ***"?
Why is Quaife higher quality then Tomei? or better in what reason? Tomei seems to be favored in Japan...
Old 11-23-2010, 01:58 AM
iamahobo

Hi, I'm a new 350z owner, and I'm thinking of getting a used LSD. I'm thinking about getting a used Nismo LSD with 19k miles on it, but I dont know if this would be a good idea even though I save $500 rather than buying brand new nismo LSD. How long can LSD last? can someone give me an estimate Mileage on how long it would last, that would be helpful.

BUMP for this awesome thread
Old 11-23-2010, 02:33 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

At 19k Miles you should be fine. I believe the recommended fluid changes are around 20k. Unless it was on a race car that boiled the fluid everyday and wore the **** out of the clutch packs, it should be a good bargain. Go for it.

Understand though. The nismo is LOUD. If your a whiner who complains about funny noises in the slight, dont get it.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:02 PM
iamahobo

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
At 19k Miles you should be fine. I believe the recommended fluid changes are around 20k. Unless it was on a race car that boiled the fluid everyday and wore the **** out of the clutch packs, it should be a good bargain. Go for it.

Understand though. The nismo is LOUD. If your a whiner who complains about funny noises in the slight, dont get it.

Nice, thanks for the tips. I dont mind the loud clunking noise at all.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Jhunt37

bump.. anyone care to give another NISMO LSD review? I've been told by my local shop they can make it "very quite".. with little popping or hopping in slow driving. I'm trying to decide what LSD to get along with the 4:08 FD.. The shop was pretty adamant the NISMO LSD is fine for DD which goes against what I seem to be finding here.. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:35 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Type of LSD:
Cusco RS 1.5way

Yes...60, 80 and 100.

Type of Driving you Do:
Autocross and HPDE

Mid-Atlantic....we get all types of weather and temperatures.

LSD Loudness:
8/10, quite loud and obtrusive at 80% lock-up. I don't DD the car at all, so it doesn't bother me.

Overall Impression:
Does what it is supposed to....and well at that.

Recommend to Others?:
Yes.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:17 PM
350zCDS

NISMO!!!

Nismo 1.5 - 100% lock. About 500 miles on it

Adjustable from 60, 80, and 100%

Type of Driving - Haven't tracked it yet, so only DD and drift (non sanctioned)

Conditions - Dallas, TX. Hot and humid. Dry mostly... dat rain doeee!!!

Loudness - pretty loud at low rpm's but it doens't bother me. With that full lock you can really hear the gears working. Personally I like it all loud and chunky BECAUSE RACECARRRR. But in all seriousness id imagine its perfectly acceptable at lower lock %'s

Overall Impression - Love love love this diff. Drives like a whole new car. Keeps the a$$ grounded when you want some traction, but then kick it out with the clutch a little and this thing produces the ultimate sideways I've experinced in a fairly stock car.

Recommend to others - Without a doubt. Worth the money, and I feel that Nismo does a great job, especially in their drivetrain products. 10 out of 10 son.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:17 PM
shermcs

Type of LSD:
Tomei Trax 2-way

I don't believe so

Type of Driving you Do:
Daily (60 miles a day) and drift events

Seattle Area, so as stated earlier, 8 months of wet

LSD Loudness:
9/10 probably just as loud as a Kaaz. It doesn't bother me at all. I like the noise

Overall Impression:
Going from a welded 240sx to a Z with a VLSD to a Tomei 2way. I will never go back to anything less. Acceleration feel is amazing. Out of a corner the push is solid. I change the diff oil every two engine oil changes with Redline 75w-140. Have had the diff in for about 8 months now and love it.

Recommend to Others?:
Yes, if you don't mind noise. If you do I have a VLSD for you collecting dust
Old 05-29-2013, 09:43 PM
jes1888

ok so i have a 2006 base model with revup, and i'm interested in getting a lsd for my car, i want one with low maintenance, so according to the thread (which i read completely) quaiffe is basically the best option, but then the topic on auto tech started and dropped pretty quick, will one of those can be compared to the quaiffe? Are they the same or not? My car is a dd, no track nor drift, few highway races here and there, no more. The problem mostly lies that this country that i live in, is not designed for cars, only suv's. Everything here has a entrance that my car almost always leaves one of the rear tires flying on the air, i waste the thread on my tires more trying to get the car out of those ditches than on the street, so that's why the auto tech one caught my attention
Old 07-27-2013, 07:12 PM
Calinismo350z

let's bring this thing back to life!!!!! =)

type of LSD:
ATS deftforce 1.5 way can also get it in 2 way or 1 way.

Can I change the lock up set up:
yes but you have to open it up and change discs. currently set to 100%

type of driving you do:
weekends, going out car.

type of conditions you live:
Desert (palm springs area) I'm gonna say 7 month 3 digit weather and 5 months cold weather. rain maybe 4-5 times a year.

LSD loudnes:
3/10 just typical popcorn sound on tight and slow turns nothing Vortech can't cover. haha.

overall impression:
going from an open diff to an LSD. amazing so far tried it on water you can feel the control on the car. Now have to wait for my drag radials so I can take it to the track.

recommend to others:
Yes, according to ATS dealer is one of their best LSDs on the market right now. 1,500 to my door. The best of everything is they have 2 models one for open diff or vLSD witch means you don't have to buy anything besides bearings.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:46 PM
jes1888

Originally Posted by jes1888
ok so i have a 2006 base model with revup, and i'm interested in getting a lsd for my car, i want one with low maintenance, so according to the thread (which i read completely) quaiffe is basically the best option, but then the topic on auto tech started and dropped pretty quick, will one of those can be compared to the quaiffe? Are they the same or not? My car is a dd, no track nor drift, few highway races here and there, no more. The problem mostly lies that this country that i live in, is not designed for cars, only suv's. Everything here has a entrance that my car almost always leaves one of the rear tires flying on the air, i waste the thread on my tires more trying to get the car out of those ditches than on the street, so that's why the auto tech one caught my attention
anyone!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????????????

Quick Reply: ***Aftermarket LSD Reviews***