VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I'll stick with my K&N...
Old 11-14-2008, 06:18 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, SteveZ. I've been redeemed in the eyes of the skeptics!
Old 11-14-2008, 06:44 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

BTW, PartsPeddler: The OEM Nissan filter's actually manufactured by none other than...
FRAM! Yep, pure trash; weak construction, poor filtering, weak valve, you-name-it, it's
got it (all negative qualities, that is!). So, DON'T fall for the stealership's cant on the "OEM" oil filter. It's PUREONE, MOBIL 1 or K&N, if you wanna keep your baby's engine c-l-e-a-n!
Old 11-17-2008, 04:19 PM
ladyzed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will NOT use genuine Nissan anymore

http://www.6mt.net/forum/g35-coupe/9...tml#post309198
Old 11-17-2008, 04:40 PM
SoldzMyZ

O M G!!!! That's kinda shocking to be honest. I personally use k&n right now but I thought nissan was quality.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:03 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So for Mobil1 filters, the larger 110 filter is recommended over the 108 filter?

I have been using the 108, but might switch to the 110...
Old 11-18-2008, 06:59 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ladyzed
I will NOT use genuine Nissan anymore

http://www.6mt.net/forum/g35-coupe/9...tml#post309198
Geez... Good find.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:30 AM
PartsPeddler
Sponsor
Courtesy Nissan

Originally Posted by j.arnaldo
BTW, PartsPeddler: The OEM Nissan filter's actually manufactured by none other than...
FRAM! Yep, pure trash; weak construction, poor filtering, weak valve, you-name-it, it's
got it (all negative qualities, that is!). So, DON'T fall for the stealership's cant on the "OEM" oil filter. It's PUREONE, MOBIL 1 or K&N, if you wanna keep your baby's engine c-l-e-a-n!
Although Fram may make the filter for NISSAN, it is still to NISSAN specs, which includes proper filtration and a coast-to-coast warranty should there ever be a problem. I have been selling NISSAN parts for 29 years and have never been aware of an oil filter creating a problem. I am sure NISSAN would not allow an inferior oil filter on a vehicle they must stand by.

Johnson Controls makes NISSAN batteries to NISSAN specs. They also make the Sear DieHard and Interstate Batteries, among other name brands. What does that mean?
Old 11-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by j.arnaldo
Pure trash? Really?

j.arnaldo, I'm still waiting for you to produce the source for your claim that PureOne has been tested the "best".

Don't get me wrong, I think the Champion Labs M1 and K&N filters are great, and I have said so many times. I have also said that FRAM makes a crappy filter because my old International had wicked bad valve tap on start-up with FRAM filters due to a poorly constructed anti-drain back valve. A switch to WIX fixed the issue. However, I have also said many times that I don't like Pure One because the filtering media is too restrictive. This is an important consideration, and here's why:

With a dense filter media like PureOne, pressure will increase on the dirty side of the filter because it restricts flow. To ensure proper lubricating pressure in the system, a bypass valve must be used to allow oil to circumvent the restrictive media. The oil that bypasses the filter media does not get filtered at all. Which raises the obvious question; is choosing a filter with the highest filtering media really a benefit if it restricts flow and encourages more oil to be bypassed than another filter with lower filtering ability but less restriction? In other words, there is a compromise to be made between maximum filtering and maximum flow. I can see the benefit of having maximum flow knowing that some filtering took place, than to have maximum filtering of some oil while most of the oil did not get any filtering.

This is a simple example, and neglects concepts such as beta ratios and pressure values for various filter's bypass valves, but accurately conveys the idea that maximum filtration alone might not be the best criteria for selecting a filter. While FRAM might not be my favorite filter to use, it has been shown to flow very well, albeit with less filtering capability than the PureOne. To a lot of people, this might be more important.

As to construction, I agree it looks crappy. But that's a straw man fallacy, since it's easy to make a casual association between construction and performance, but there is no proof to show the one is actually dependent on the other. So yes, it might not be constructed as well as another brand of filter, but that doesn't prove it sucks at its job. Points of fact, many Nissan SE-R Cup racers use the Nissan filter on their own SR20 racing engines with success. Cosworth put a FRAM Tough Guard on their Top Shop Challenge car without worry. I haven't found a thread yet detailing the use of a Nissan or FRAM filter having caused an engine issue.

In the Oil Analysis sticky, I only make one comment on filters. It simply relates to an SAE technical paper highlighting the greater efficiency of a synthetic media oil filter to remain in use for extended drain intervals much longer than a traditional paper filter (which is what PureOne is btw). So, for the best filtering over the long haul of extended drains, I recommend a synthetic filter like the Champion Labs or Donaldson-made Amsoil EaO. In fact, the Donaldson is the only filter to be independently shown to filter down to the 5 micron range which UOA spectrometers measure.

But unless you plan on doing a 10k oil change, then I wouldn't worry about internet rumors, marketing spiel, or hearsay on which filter will destroy your engine. Again, I have my own reservations about FRAM and Nissan filters, but to be fair, my own UOA while using a Nissan filter wasn't any better or worse than using some other filters, so I can't really say that they are "pure trash". As I mentioned, there is a decent argument against using the PureOne because of its media type, and I see that as a more valid argument than pointing out the construction of an OEM filter with no recorded history of failures.

My long-winded .02

Will
Old 01-26-2009, 07:41 AM
thepostman

Originally Posted by PartsPeddler
Although Fram may make the filter for NISSAN, it is still to NISSAN specs, which includes proper filtration and a coast-to-coast warranty should there ever be a problem. I have been selling NISSAN parts for 29 years and have never been aware of an oil filter creating a problem. I am sure NISSAN would not allow an inferior oil filter on a vehicle they must stand by.

Johnson Controls makes NISSAN batteries to NISSAN specs. They also make the Sear DieHard and Interstate Batteries, among other name brands. What does that mean?
I hate posting but I had to chime in on this one. So you're saying Nissan doesn't put inferior products on their cars??? I'll kick off a list for my 2004 Z: SUB-PAR window motors for driver and passengers (replaced driver side for $500), SUB-PAR windshields (non-PPG) chipped/cracked after 2 years, dome lights being replaced, BOSE 6 Disk CD-Changers being replaced 3 times, not to mention the infamous tire feathering issue which Nissan STILL have not explicitly admitted to (extending a warranty could be seen as admission).

On my Z I use the Napa Nascar Spin flows and now seeing the deconstruction pics of the OEM filters I'll probably end up getting the $12 Napa Golds for our new Infiniti EX35.