Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

DynaPack Dyno / Dynojet

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 02:22 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DynaPack Dyno / Dynojet

Which would be the best/beneficial and most accurate system for a dyno session? IMPO, unprofessional of 'cos, I would think that the direct coupling would be closer to real world results compared to the conventional roller dyno system.

Has anyone tried both or the DynaPack 5500 Dyno system? What about DynaPack 5500 Dyno at different garages with base models or similar performance mods?

I plan to dyno my zee before installing the ATI ProCharger?

My zee still holds virgin status and has only accrued 2500 miles; scheduling 1st 3000 mile service and dyno session sometime next week.

Thanks
G

350Z Touring
Old 08-30-2003, 11:53 PM
ChurchAutoTest

I own a Dynapack, so of course I'm a bit biased.

However, let me say that a dyno, whatever type, is a tool. Just like a hacksaw vs. a rip saw vs. a coping saw, etc. They all cut, just in different ways with different advantages. The key is that the operator must know what they're doing.

Now, if you're just looking to measure changes after mods, any dyno will do. All you have to do is make sure you eliminate variables. Make sure the intake and coolant temps are similar for each run. Don't change wheels/tires between dyno sessions. Make sure tire pressure is the same (for a roller dyno) and alignment too. If you do these things, you'll get accurate repeatable results on any dyno. The Dynapack just makes it a little easier to eliminate some of these variables (wheel/tire weight and inflation, alignment, wheelspin, etc.).

If you want to do tuning (which isn't too common yet on 350Z's), then a load type dyno such as the Dynapack is preferable as it can do part throttle testing, fixed load testing, etc. - it basically performs like an engine dyno for the chassis. This is why I purchased a Dynapack over a Dynojet (even though the former is more expensive) - I do a lot of engine management tuning on race cars.

Whatever you choose, pick a specific dyno (not just a type, but a location) and stick with it. This will ensure consistency in your testing as you modify and tune.

SC
Old 08-31-2003, 03:49 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Now that’s what I call, putting things in perspective, and most tactfully done; I must say. I do realize that it is impossible to be unbiased, but I suppose that we can only hope for is a bias opinion, but to a lesser degree.

Originally posted by ChurchAutoTest
Whatever you choose, pick a specific dyno (not just a type, but a location) and stick with it. This will ensure consistency in your testing as you modify and tune.
SC
I get the picture, SC.

BTW, were there any known cases of the car flying off the rollers during a dyno run?

Thanks
Gerald
Old 08-31-2003, 04:13 PM
350Z 2+2 ???

I just thought I'd throw my .02 in.

I shop here in the Phoenix area (Dyno-Comp) has a Dyno Dynamics dynamometer. It seems to combine the best of both worlds. It has the ability to set any ramp rate as well as load the rollers for real tuning... something you can't do with DynoJets. You can set a specific speed and no matter what throttle position you give the car, the dyno will load the rollers to maintain the set speed. This is a great dyno if you plan to do any tuning (e.g. custom ecu flashing, S-AFC setup, etc.). For simple bolt ons, any dyno will do, just do as Church recommends and pick a specific dyno to do all of you testing on.

The Dyno Dynamics has a very quick setup time. Just drive the car on adjust wheel base and strap it down if necessary. Since all four wheels are cradled, cars only need to be strapped down if they are making more than 300whp, but even then it's only two simple straps on the rear of the car.

I don't think the Dyno Dynamics dynos are very common here in the US yet. They rule in Australia though.

If you want more information (biased of course), you can check out Dyno-Comps website. Here's a link to their Dynamometer page.

http://www.dynocomp.com/The%20Dyno.htm

I have attached pics of both of my cars on this dyno.

Attached Thumbnails DynaPack Dyno / Dynojet-dyno1.jpg  
Old 09-07-2003, 05:37 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Dyno Dynamics dynamometer is not readily available in these parts; I would do a dyno run on them if there were one in the area.

Had my first dyno run on Saturday, any pointers?

click on pic to enlarge

click on image to enlarge

If I have the time I might even do a dyno run on the conventional roller systems.

Thanks
G
Old 09-08-2003, 03:12 PM
350Z 2+2 ???

Looks like a good dynamometer. You might want to try another (roller-type) just to see how they compare, but I'd stick with this one if you're doing before/after dynos, testing different upgrades.

Can they adjust the scaling on their printouts, or are they done automatically? Our flat torque curve looks really strange on this scale. And, getting a little **** here, I find it nice to have the HP and Torque curves on the same scale. This way you can verify that they cross at 5252rpm and readily see how the torque compares to HP. Again, that's getting nit-picky.

Congrats on the first dyno pass of hopefully many more to come. Please keep us posted on future ones!!!

Oh BTW, how long did it take to get your car setup and ready to dyno?
Old 09-08-2003, 05:22 PM
rouxeny

I was also there, the setup took a few minutes. I'd say about 15-20. Essentially involved removing the wheels, putting on the adapters, then plugging them into the dyno blocks. Pretty straightforward.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:45 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Thanks 350Z 2+2 ??? and, I am as curious as you are for a Dyno jet and Dyno Dynamics comparison. You will find some of the available user functions listed at the DynoPack web site.

The prepping was quick and painless. And the dynopack coupling is equipped with guides so as not to damage the hub/brakes; the gears and drive slides easily into place without too much effort.

Will continue to meticulously track every stage of my baby zee's growth with dyno mapping Thanks for the pointers

Best
G

Last edited by 350Zzzz; 09-09-2003 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:09 AM
Psycho Z32

Its Craig here from XX Tuning. We have had good luck with the Dynapack. the Dynapack tends to be more accurate in terms of the software also. For those looking to tune we feel that the Dynapack suits our needs. We look forward in doing a lot more 350Z's for the customers here in CT. We are having our Z show/dyno day this Saturday September 13th. All z's are welcome
Old 09-11-2003, 08:28 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Hey Craig, Danny

You guys did a super job on my Zee; I am very happy with the Borla and the R/L install. My friend, Dr SL was also praising you guys for a job well done on his SUV, and I quote, “Danny & Craig did a fabulous job, I love it.”

The best part about the Borla true dual cut back system, generated an unexpected Whp of 240.3 and increased my Torque to 226.99.

Even though you guys are an hour away from Stamford, it was worth the ride. Now I have a shop to rely on for Zee needs and to blame

Very impressive!

Thanks
G
Old 09-11-2003, 08:51 PM
350Z 2+2 ???

Originally posted by 350Zzzz

The best part about the Borla true dual cut back system, generated an unexpected Whp of 240.3 and increased my Torque to 226.99.
Just curious why you considered a gain of 7.9whp and 6.7tq unexpected. It seems like those are pretty typical gains from the Borla.

What are you planning on next? Keep those dyno results coming!!!
Old 09-11-2003, 09:37 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Default “wanting to believe” and being “totally convinced.”

There’s a distinct difference between “wanting to believe” and being “totally convinced.”

Everyone talks of the power increases after respective mods on their Zees, but until it really happens to you, personally; one tends to be somewhat skeptical. It is difficult to distinguish between hype and real world gains, these days.

Moreover, the Zee magazine did a shoot-out between various after-mart exhaust on the market, and Borla returned very low Torque numbers.

That’s me, until I see and experience it myself; the claims are just a pie in the sky

Originally posted by 350Z 2+2 ???
What are you planning on next? Keep those dyno results coming!!!
Pro Charger....ETA: Tuesday 9/16/2003

G

Last edited by 350Zzzz; 09-11-2003 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:29 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Default ProCharger Dyno Mapping

Click on image to enlarge

Apparently, there were misses when idle; some suggested going back to stock plugs and closing the gap to .035 (presently using NGK 1 step colder plugs at stock gap); and some even suggested replacing the ignition coil/s

For for future engine related modifications:
  • Replace to NISMO headers
  • replace fuel pump (combining the stock & ATI inline with one),
  • replace fuel line
  • replacing injectors
  • adding boost gauge
  • adding wideband oxygen sensors
  • hopefully upgrading the ECU

Other Modifications non-engine related:
  • Coilovers (either Tein Flex/EDFC, or JIC) and lowering the car
  • traction arms
  • sway bar (front rear)