Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Clutch noise? NOT GEARS GRINDING, NOT CLICKING

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 02:07 AM
sweettalker
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch noise? NOT GEARS GRINDING, NOT CLICKING

My clutch is made by competition clutch, 6 puck ironman with competition clutch lightened flywheel. I Only had about 5000 miles on this clutch when it started to make noise. It would go away and come back and eventually it would just stay. The sound can be described as partial grinding and partial dragging. Like when the dremel is cutting away something not the whine of the dremel but the cutting away noise. I don't really know how to explain it but the sound wouldn't go away after awhile and even when I release the clutch the clutch and one time the clutch would still be engaged because I can smell it burning when just cruising. So I had to tow it home because driving it would have probably burnt my clutch to the core. The clutch was taken apart and the throw out bearing was shattered and the ball bearings were rattling around inside. Nothing else wrong, clutch seemed fine, flywheel was fine, no unusual wear. Now after installing a new nissan oem throwout bearing, after 1000 miles, it's doing it again. What could be the problem? Anyone else have this issues? I hear throwout bearing goes out often but man, I shouldn't have to take it apart before my oil changes. ANy suggestions? If anyone is local you guys can come check it out. It's weird, I couldn't find anything about it. Thoughts would be helpful, thanks.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:30 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks. I have the same clutch-flywheel combination. Will keep my eyes open.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:04 PM
sweettalker
Banned

bump for updates
Old 05-07-2010, 06:58 AM
gte959s

any updates?
Old 05-15-2010, 03:53 PM
FA 350z

i think that have the same problem(the noisy sound) ,but with the oem flywheel ,clutch.
i already have replaced the t/o bearing but it wasn't broken or harmed and the sound went away and then it came back louder.

i also couldn't find what is the problem ,should i change the t/o bearing again?
hope to find an answer
Old 06-01-2010, 01:20 PM
gte959s

so mine started with the burning smell and more noises. I dropped it off at Forged Performance. Should hear back tomorrow. I had the noise a couple of weeks ago and Sharif said it didn't sound like there was anything to worry about (the sound was min. then). Then today when I engaged the clutch at a stop light it dragged the RPMs down 200-400RPMs almost killing the engine. Then I started hearing a squel like belt squeking then I smelt the burning smell. I released the pedal (all went away) and pushed it back in (noise came back). Its not consistent the whole way to the shop at each red light. I took it straight to the shop just in case there is something really wrong.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:35 PM
turbotoy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow the stars are aligned. My throwout bearing went out on Friday same description as your second. Push in clutch drag rpms down then the grinding. I would have to say it is in the clutch master cylinder push rod adjustment. If it is not adjusted correctly then the throwout bearing will be forced onto the diaphragm all the time causing premature failure. 1000 miles is extreme. I did this when I first started working on cars the throwout bearing actually ate threw the clutch.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:06 AM
gte959s

ended up being the throw out bearing on mine. It was busted and the ball bearings came out.