Lsx 03 350z

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010 | 10:26 AM
Quamen

Originally Posted by Royal_T
Okay thats not bad I knew about all of that.. Thanks

Quamen,

Man you lucked out on that motor, nice pick up
For sure. I had spent about three months researching prices on the LS1 via ebay and LS1tech. When I cam across the eBay add I immediately contacted the seller. I was very skeptical at first but the guy was a true standup guy. When we got there we were amazed at how nice his shop was. He provided me with recipts and documents also which made me feel more comfortable with the purchase. Sometimes deals aren't really deals. I lucked out though.
Old 03-15-2010 | 10:59 AM
lgear080

Havok - That car is BAD ***.

VERY IMPRESSED. VERY.

Considering the amount of custom fab - I don't know how you completed
it with your sanity intact. I would like to see a pic of the installed shifter.
Looks like you could move planets.
Old 03-16-2010 | 02:56 AM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by Quamen
I can do all the welding and wiring myself no problem. It is really not that hard to do if you are running a standalone that is not specific to the Z such as I am.

In regards to the motor, I got a fully rebuilt LS1 from a retired GM mechanic out of Michigan who had it all ready to go for his 69 Chevelle but needed the money and dropped the project. Motor only cost $2,300 picked up!

My TH400+Converter+Cooler+Flexplate+Shifter comes out to about the same price as a T56+Clutch+Flywheel. Then you would have to add the shifter and the master cylinder so I come out a couple hundred cheaper there also.
Yeah.. Like I told you in PM I didn't expect for any of the wiring or welding to be a problem for you. Sweet deal on the LS1.
Old 03-16-2010 | 03:00 AM
Havok_RLS2

I hear you on all that. These kits just don't seem to be "complete" swap kits like the are lead out to be. Sure they mount the motor and transmission but that is just the start of a swap.
Correct. It's best for folks to really understand what they are getting themselves into before just going out and buying the kit. There is a lot more to it than that. This is not a bolt on solution for power, it's a game changer.
Old 03-16-2010 | 03:04 AM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by lgear080
Havok - That car is BAD ***.

VERY IMPRESSED. VERY.

Considering the amount of custom fab - I don't know how you completed
it with your sanity intact. I would like to see a pic of the installed shifter.
Looks like you could move planets.
Thanks
I'll work on gettng more pics
Old 04-08-2010 | 04:08 AM
Quamen

OP- Any update on this project?

I have almost all the parts for my car in the garage now and my Speedhut Tach should be here tomorrow! I took the cluster apart and used black silicon to cover up all the lights that will turn on under the dash. So far here is what I got:

1) 2000 Rebuilt LS1
2) Canton Oil Pan
3) TCI Streetfighter TH400
4) TCI 399753 Flexplate
5) TCI Torque Converter (3500 Stall)
6) Electromotive Tec GT Standalone
7) Electromotive Direct Fire Ignition Units
8) B&M Pro Ratchet Shifter
9) Moroso Spiral Flow Mufflers
10) Summit X-Pipe
11) Summit UD Damper
12) FAST Fuel Rails
13) Moroso Coolant Expansion Tank
14) Howe Double Pass Racing Radiator
15) Massive Derale Transmission Cooler
16) Janzter Performance Ported Throttle body

I am in the process of mounting the stock alternator and power steering right now. I am going to end up making my own headers next month once the motor and transmission are mounted. Still need to by some of the odds and ends like fittings, throttle cable and the driveshaft but otherwise I am ready to go!
Old 04-08-2010 | 09:12 PM
Resolute

Man, I really like these LS swaps. Please document your build Quamen! People really loved your first two builds and all the documentation you put into showing the custom work. I hope you do the same again.

I wish there was more of a "plug-n-play" install option. The RX-7 guys have made it popular enough that it can be done at home with mail-order swap kits and a complete tool set. Hopefully, there will be some similar development for the 350Z.

How are you going to get the electromotive to communicate with the Nissan CAN? You are using the 350Z PS pump and alternator?

Will
Old 04-08-2010 | 09:33 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic
Premier Member

OP- Any update on this project?

I have almost all the parts for my car in the garage now and my Speedhut Tach should be here tomorrow! I took the cluster apart and used black silicon to cover up all the lights that will turn on under the dash. So far here is what I got:

1) 2000 Rebuilt LS1
2) Canton Oil Pan
3) TCI Streetfighter TH400
4) TCI 399753 Flexplate
5) TCI Torque Converter (3500 Stall)
6) Electromotive Tec GT Standalone
7) Electromotive Direct Fire Ignition Units
8) B&M Pro Ratchet Shifter
9) Moroso Spiral Flow Mufflers
10) Summit X-Pipe
11) Summit UD Damper
12) FAST Fuel Rails
13) Moroso Coolant Expansion Tank
14) Howe Double Pass Racing Radiator
15) Massive Derale Transmission Cooler
16) Janzter Performance Ported Throttle body

I am in the process of mounting the stock alternator and power steering right now. I am going to end up making my own headers next month once the motor and transmission are mounted. Still need to by some of the odds and ends like fittings, throttle cable and the driveshaft but otherwise I am ready to go!
Perhaps I missed it, but what are you going to be using for heads and a cam? I am guessing with a th400 and moderate stall that it won't be a stock motor. Keep us updated and take LOTS of pics please.
Old 04-09-2010 | 01:20 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

+1 on the above couple posts. Please document everything.
Old 04-12-2010 | 04:09 AM
Quamen

Originally Posted by Resolute
Man, I really like these LS swaps. Please document your build Quamen! People really loved your first two builds and all the documentation you put into showing the custom work. I hope you do the same again.

I wish there was more of a "plug-n-play" install option. The RX-7 guys have made it popular enough that it can be done at home with mail-order swap kits and a complete tool set. Hopefully, there will be some similar development for the 350Z.

How are you going to get the electromotive to communicate with the Nissan CAN? You are using the 350Z PS pump and alternator?

Will

I don't need the Electromotive to communicate with the Nissan CAN. The only reason that would be necessary in my opinion was if you wanted to retain the ABS. The Electromotive controls the motor and the stock ECU stays in soley to control a couple gauges such as the speedometer. There is no other reason for the stock ECU in my opinion.

I am using the 350z PS pump and alternator. Both are actually quite easy to retro fit to the LS1 and I should be able to post pictures in a 2-3 weeks with them installed. I should be starting my own thread in the beginning of May once the motor and transmission are in.
Old 04-12-2010 | 04:11 AM
Quamen

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Perhaps I missed it, but what are you going to be using for heads and a cam? I am guessing with a th400 and moderate stall that it won't be a stock motor. Keep us updated and take LOTS of pics please.
Stock head and cam for now. I am going to get it up and running first and then put a cam in it. With the mods I will have done to it I should be able to put down mid to high 3XX whp numbers through that trans based on my research.
Old 04-12-2010 | 04:20 AM
Quamen

Default Some pictures:

Old 04-12-2010 | 05:43 AM
binder

i would like to know more about the electronics interface also.

In light of my recent problem with my built engine i might be scrapping it for a simpler to work on engine such as the lsx. I don't want to deal with having to put different gauges and all that jazz though. I want my stock cluster to just stay there. lol
Old 04-12-2010 | 06:26 AM
Quamen

Originally Posted by binder
i would like to know more about the electronics interface also.

In light of my recent problem with my built engine i might be scrapping it for a simpler to work on engine such as the lsx. I don't want to deal with having to put different gauges and all that jazz though. I want my stock cluster to just stay there. lol
I think that people are making too big of a deal about this. The only gauge that you really have to replace is the tachometer. You can buy a Speedhut tach that fits perfect in the stock cluster such as my picture above and Havok's picture. Other than that you can easily mount the stock coolant temp and oil pressure sensors on the LS motor. I will have all working gauges without any interface to the CAN with the exception of the multi-gauge.

Binder looking at the bigger picture I see:

Retrofitting Two Sensors & A Tach One Time>Dealing With The VQ35 Issues Multiple times

Not to mention how cheap parts are compared to the Nissan Aftermarket is huge payback also.
Old 04-12-2010 | 08:20 AM
binder

ya, that's where i'm at now. I would be smooth sailing if i didn't try to take my car and get it tuned.

now i'm trying to decide if it's worth rebuilding my built engine again.
Old 04-12-2010 | 12:58 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic
Premier Member

I think it will be very tough to hit 350 through a th400 w/ stock heads/cam, but I certainly wish you luck! In for more pics too .
Old 04-12-2010 | 01:53 PM
Quamen

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
I think it will be very tough to hit 350 through a th400 w/ stock heads/cam, but I certainly wish you luck! In for more pics too .
I am just basing those numbers off of my findings on ls1tech.com. It seems there are a number of guys who have hit close to 375whp with the LS1/TH400 and an intake, headers and TD. Either way I won't really care all the much. A cam and some nitrous in fall and it will be one quick car!
Old 04-12-2010 | 02:00 PM
binder

question, why the th400 over a t56 or th700r4
Old 04-12-2010 | 02:05 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic
Premier Member

I am just basing those numbers off of my findings on ls1tech.com. It seems there are a number of guys who have hit close to 375whp with the LS1/TH400 and an intake, headers and TD. Either way I won't really care all the much. A cam and some nitrous in fall and it will be one quick car!
Sure will!
Old 04-12-2010 | 04:15 PM
Royal_T

Quamen,

Thanks for the pics, and make sure you post link to your build on here when you post up..

Now I'm getting excited for mine..

Quick Reply: Lsx 03 350z