Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

ATF Cooler Installation Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 03:06 PM
screener
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
what kind of tracking are you guys doing? autox, road, drifting.......

are you hitting the course, then sitting before you get to go back out again, which then in turn lets the PS system cool down???

When i drift, i hit the course 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, times straight.......no breaks no waiting in lines at my local events......i found the PS cooler to crap out and PS fluid to boil quick....

what are your track conditions and routines??? that can play a part in WHY you never noticed it before.....
-J
Good intel Jason keep pumping it out. This is my second 350z, and this one I recently bought. My other was a 6 spd, that I had high hopes to track at Sebring frequently, but finances kept me to only doing 1 day at Gainesville road course. This is the reason I never had PS issues, and never ATF issues.
Regardless if my PS cooler is fine for the tracks I am on why change? Drifting has lots of steering inputs at low speed, so cooling the PS fluid effectively might be a challenge. I do not and never plan to Drift, not my kind of driving, cool to look at though.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:34 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by beddow
Good intel Jason keep pumping it out. This is my second 350z, and this one I recently bought. My other was a 6 spd, that I had high hopes to track at Sebring frequently, but finances kept me to only doing 1 day at Gainesville road course. This is the reason I never had PS issues, and never ATF issues.
Regardless if my PS cooler is fine for the tracks I am on why change? Drifting has lots of steering inputs at low speed, so cooling the PS fluid effectively might be a challenge. I do not and never plan to Drift, not my kind of driving, cool to look at though.
I hear ya, yes with drifting it was a absolute must...and was what drove me to finally swapping to an aftermarket core.

However i did notice it at some of my smaller autoX events.....why, because the down time between runs wasn't long..........so the ps coolant never cooled down...

its a mod thats not a MUST DO RIGHT NOW, i think its more as you see it happening depending on your track and race scenario.

symptoms:
1st: i noticed a weak steering wheel....softer and easier to turn the actual wheel, but not the car with the same number of revolutions...get it?

2nd: super hot ps hose lines

3rd: actual fluid boiling.

-J
Old 01-05-2010, 02:28 AM
screener
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was a member of SAFE Motorsports when I was tracking, and with this group you get some serious track time. I had a S2000 at the time at Sebring, and damn that car took good care of itself. I would have it out on track for approx. 35min full blaze and although I am sure the oil temps got high I would purposely short shift for 2-3 laps. That little car still amazes me how fun it was on track, very nimble and talk about late braking, wow!

Thanks for all the info, good stuff.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:45 AM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hi guys. im glad my post was able to help you in a way.

THanks for the info, JasonZ - I was tracking on a pretty fast circuit and so it wasnt too harsh on the PS. So that explains why heat build up on the PS wasnt an issue.

BTW, my rebuild is done and the A/T feels good as new gearshift is quicker due to the vb upgrade.

A/T cooler has got to be one of the best supporting mods i have. I can tell its working well cuz the heat coming from under the cabin (tranny area) is reduced