Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Engine Tick!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Synjn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zazz93
Bad news Gizloc, on the VQ, there is nothing easy about the valve work. A simple adjustment will cost you anywhere from $25 - $600 for parts alone. Unlike most the simple older designs the VQ rarely "falls" out of adjustment. It uses sized cam followers ($25 each) to adjust the height of the valve, so unless the valve builds up residue or gets additional play through seat wear the ticking people hear is not likely due to the valves. Also it seems more and more manufacters are going to this design that increases service cost and decreases servicing intervals. Also labor on this item can't be less than 6 hours because the head basically is taken off (minus the actually unbolting of the head).
Why would i need parts for to adjust the valve clearance? I'm new to wrenchin on this overhead cam business. Could you explain to me in detail how the cam followers work please?

I've built a few v8's in my day, and when I had solid lifters, I constantly had to adjust the valve clearence. It was the only way to maintain proper valve lash. Switchin over to hydraulic lifters solved that problem by filling up with oil, pushing up on the plunger, and filling the gap. But if you were way out of adjustment, the lifter could still be full of oil and your valve could still be out of adjustment. OK...

On over head cam, the cam lobe sits directly on the top of the valve stem. How does it automatically adjust? Is it possible that the person who did the last valve adjustment screwed up on one of the valves?

googletime

Last edited by Synjn; 04-22-2010 at 08:46 PM.