Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Drain Plug Washer problem...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 01:47 PM
tware

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only reasons not to have a Fumoto valve is that it drains much more slowly and there is alittle more oil left in the pan... like 1/8" more... if that. then there's a clearance issue on some cars where the drain hole is angled down and the car already sits very low. But I dont think that affects us.

however, accidental draining is not a problem at all. None. no way. The lever will not lift and turn on its own. Some have reported a tiny amount of leaking over many years of ownership, but not enough to be a catastrophic problem.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:29 PM
dirtbikr

I have to agree with this as I use a fram sure drain plug on all my vehicles and their transmissions if it's an auto (including the z) and would highly recommend it. It makes it a breeze to change, and is a lot cleaner than trying to catch the plug. Also, if you have an aftermarket pan, you don't have to worry about stripping the threads if you over torque the drain plug or you bring it to someone else for service (not like that would ever happen) because you put it in once...
Old 11-17-2009, 03:03 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by dirtbikr
I have to agree with this as I use a fram sure drain plug on all my vehicles and their transmissions if it's an auto (including the z) and would highly recommend it. It makes it a breeze to change, and is a lot cleaner than trying to catch the plug. Also, if you have an aftermarket pan, you don't have to worry about stripping the threads if you over torque the drain plug or you bring it to someone else for service (not like that would ever happen) because you put it in once...
Damn, how often are you guys changing your fluids??!! I don't know how poeple have managed to survive with still having to remove the drail plugs, and put it back in without crossthreading!!It;s soooooo hard!!! And it's even harder to slowly unscrew them with a rag, and pull it out of the way before it drops in the drain pan!! Do you guys have quick releases on your steering wheel too to make it easier to get in and out of the car too?? I know what a nuisance that can be too. lol

Last edited by halfass872; 11-17-2009 at 03:20 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Asterix

Originally Posted by halfass872
Damn, how often are you guys changing your fluids??!! I don't know how poeple have managed to survive with still having to remove the drail plugs, and put it back in without crossthreading!!It;s soooooo hard!!! And it's even harder to slowly unscrew them with a rag, and pull it out of the way before it drops in the drain pan!! Do you guys have quick releases on your steering wheel too to make it easier to get in and out of the car too?? I know what a nuisance that can be too. lol
Gee, dude. Chill out. If you don't like the Fumoto valve, don't use it. There's no need to get all abusive.

Asterix
Old 11-17-2009, 09:41 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by Asterix
Gee, dude. Chill out. If you don't like the Fumoto valve, don't use it. There's no need to get all abusive.

Asterix
You're right. I just find the reasons for installing it lazy. Didn't mean to yell!!
Old 11-17-2009, 10:33 AM
tware

I just don't think you grasp all the reasons for using one. A lazy person isnt going to buy and install one. I know some who use it because they do oil sampling to Blackstone. And, having to handle/sample hot oil isnt fun. I know others who dont like using ramps or jacks if they dont have to. With a nippled valve or Fram's solution, the car doesnt have to be raised much, it can be drained by a tube. For some with restrictions (like apts) for working on cars, you can probably drain your oil without anyone noticing.