Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

blowing engines?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 01:49 PM
halfass872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SharX59
B.T.W. what i do want to do with my z in the future is just to make it perform a little better than the 370z (acceleration, 1/4th, handling,...so on)
Then buy a Stillen SC, which is the most mild FI you can get. It will meet your goals, and you throw your engine blowing and reliability worries out the window. No need for a build, or tuning. Plug and play!!

As far as your "real question" is concerned, it was answered in this thread. Read over the replies again.

Last edited by halfass872; 11-24-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:34 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Kind of difficult to have a worthwhile conversation with someone (a guy at the gym) who is not here.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:24 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^its been answered this guy u talked to does not know what he is talking about and was blowing smoke up your *** cause he could prolly tell u didnt know either...The vq is a pretty stout motor and will take some low boost for many many miles no problem...There were certain year z's where oil consumption was a problem and it was warrantied, beleive the 06's but still that was a problem for n/a or f/i from factory..Theres no reason that any year z that does not have any problems on its own with oil consumption or something like that cant take 400whp or a little more for years and years and many miles..And if u were concerned with the oil pump just upgrade the oil pump to a better pump and get a oil cooler for temps..this talk of high revs i dont know what thats supposed to mean as the z really doesnt rev that high compared to alot of cars..He prolly doesnt even go to the track and to say that z's end up on the trailer is just crazy..ive yet to see it happen

Last edited by tylerxfire; 11-24-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:52 PM
SharX59

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

OK well thanks a lot everyone for you input. Ive come away from the forums with a little more knowledge thank to you guys.

oh and for the stillen super charger i would need their hood as well to make it fit. i don't like that idea.

i think a turbo or twin turbo application would be better, unless you disagree?

Last edited by SharX59; 11-24-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:06 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK well thanks a lot everyone for you input. Ive come away from the forums with a little more knowledge thank to you guys.

oh and for the stillen super charger i would need their hood as well to make it fit. i don't like that idea.

twin turbo is the best option for power and torque and to make it a nasty car, but u need to take other things into consideration also as far as where u llive and inspection time and all that and what ur gonna do with the car...but do not waste ur time with stillen for damn sure
Old 11-25-2009, 02:43 AM
halfass872

Yeah, that's a good reason. I bought the Cowl vice a whole new hood. It's a scary "point of no return" situation once you make that first cut in the hood!

I would be lying if i didn't say i'm concernerd at how much you are relying on other members to agree or dieagree with what YOU should choose and do as far as FI goes. Please do your own research, and decided how far YOU are willing to go. It seems like you want the "go" without putting the time into research, and purchasing supporting mods to ensure a toruble free setup.

This is a big step for you car, do it right the first time, or get ready for the consequenses.

As far as supporting mods are concerned. Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing IMO!

Read this!! ------> https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...for-noobs.html

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
..but do not waste ur time with stillen for damn sure

I suggested that based on what he said he wanted to accomplish. Not everyone's FI goal is to break records. The OP said "....what i do want to do with my z in the future is just to make it perform a little better than the 370z (acceleration, 1/4th, handling,...so on)". And i can honestly say that's a pretty good guestimate of where i am with my Stillen Setup.

Let's not turn this into another Stillen bashing thread!! (Leave that one to Doug)

Last edited by halfass872; 11-25-2009 at 03:35 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:27 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

(Leave that one to Doug)
You can also leave that one to me as i will not rec the stillen to anyone anymore.I know you still like it but if you could drive the 2 back to back you would **** yourself......the stillen versus the greddy twins at the same boost level.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:19 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by superchargedg
(Leave that one to Doug)
You can also leave that one to me as i will not rec the stillen to anyone anymore.I know you still like it but if you could drive the 2 back to back you would **** yourself......the stillen versus the greddy twins at the same boost level.
No doubt!

But like i said, i only suggeested it because it has what he's after as far as gains over stock.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:05 PM
SharX59

Originally Posted by halfass872
Yeah, that's a good reason. I bought the Cowl vice a whole new hood. It's a scary "point of no return" situation once you make that first cut in the hood!

I would be lying if i didn't say i'm concernerd at how much you are relying on other members to agree or dieagree with what YOU should choose and do as far as FI goes. Please do your own research, and decided how far YOU are willing to go. It seems like you want the "go" without putting the time into research, and purchasing supporting mods to ensure a toruble free setup.

This is a big step for you car, do it right the first time, or get ready for the consequenses.

As far as supporting mods are concerned. Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing IMO!

Read this!! ------> https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...for-noobs.html

I suggested that based on what he said he wanted to accomplish. Not everyone's FI goal is to break records. The OP said "....what i do want to do with my z in the future is just to make it perform a little better than the 370z (acceleration, 1/4th, handling,...so on)". And i can honestly say that's a pretty good guestimate of where i am with my Stillen Setup.

Let's not turn this into another Stillen bashing thread!! (Leave that one to Doug)
I actually am willing to to do all the necessary preparations and purchase the parts needed to have a reliable setup. I would rather go twin turbo than supercharged as well. For the matter of money that's not a problem. And f.y.i. im not one to do something unless i can insure i am able to do it correctly and trouble free. Unlike other members i have no experience or background with sports cars ( modifying them ). I came from a jeep wrangler and off-roading. I'm a person who likes to keep his car stock as much as possible and thinking about modding a car is a new venture for me. So i think its natural for me to ask. And for the research comment i have done it, maybe not on the forums specifically but i have done enough googling. For me it seems i cant find a solid answer. but for w/e reason u seem to be gettin annoyed by me. so i guess srry? All i want to make sure is that i can reliably put down 400 whp without hurting the engine in any way. This is the only car i have or will have for a long time. If i need to build the engine to do it so be it. I would much rather build a N/A 400whp z than a turbo one, but from what im hearing that would cost too much. So twin turbos are the way to go.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:11 PM
SharX59

that link that you referred to me is awesome.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:45 PM
halfass872

that link that you referred to me is awesome.
No prob! That's why i was getting "annoyed" tho. That link i gave ya is clearly labled at the top of the Forced Induction section, and had you spent soem time there, you would have seen it and answered all your questions! That's why i was giving you crap for not taking the time to search.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:59 PM
SharX59

understandable, but could you clear up one thing for me? I understand that the life of the car will be cut in half with the addition of F.i., but what if im taking it easy most of the time i drive ( rarely smashing on the gas here and there ). Will that make a difference or is it a set rule that the car's life will be cut in half?
Old 11-25-2009, 06:11 PM
halfass872

understandable, but could you clear up one thing for me? I understand that the life of the car will be cut in half with the addition of F.i., but what if im taking it easy most of the time i drive ( rarely smashing on the gas here and there ). Will that make a difference or is it a set rule that the car's life will be cut in half?
There are too many variables to answer that. I think untill you know what you are definatly going with, and you read up/talk to members that have the same setup, you can only really go buy the "guidelines" in that link i posted.

Obviously keeping out of the gas would help. But that's no fun! If you are gonna grit yoru teeth everytime you go into boost for fear that your engine could pop at any time, then FI may not be for you!

I can only tell you what i know with the setup i have. And Stillen being the most mild setup out there, the supporting mods i had to do to keep everything "safe" were nothing compared to what those with higher output setups have to do.

A couple good things to remember is that heat (Boost makes ALOT of extra heat), a bad tune (esp. on turbo setups), and running lean (see bad tune) are three things that will mess ya up pretty bad no matter what you go with! So start looking into what you are gonna have to do to make sure you avoid said issues.

The rest is too much of a variable with you not even knowing what you are gonna get yet.

Last edited by halfass872; 11-25-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:19 PM
SharX59

Well i appreciate all your input. Whenever i choose ill be sure to let u know! (gtm tt kit most likely)
Old 11-25-2009, 06:36 PM
halfass872

Well i appreciate all your input. Whenever i choose ill be sure to let u know! (gtm tt kit most likely)
I would suggest, if time isn't an issue, do ALOT of research, and do the install yourself!! (Obviously maybe with the exception of getting your block built, it you go that route). It's A BLAST to do, you know everything was done correctly. You get extremely familiar with the car. And you get to honestly say "i did that". Instead of "i paid a shop, dropped of my car, and picked it up".

I spent months researching, got all the parts i needed ready. And start to finish installed my whole setup in one day with NO issues. It's a great feeling!!

PM Citymunky. He just installed twins on his G35 and has a great pictorial write up to give you an idea on what you will be looking at.

P.S. Quit taking car advice from random dudes at the gym!!!!!

Last edited by halfass872; 11-25-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:53 PM
SharX59

Originally Posted by halfass872
I would suggest, if time isn't an issue, do ALOT of research, and do the install yourself!! (Obviously maybe with the exception of getting your block built, it you go that route). It's A BLAST to do, you know everything was done correctly. You get extremely familiar with the car. And you get to honestly say "i did that". Instead of "i paid a shop, dropped of my car, and picked it up".

I spent months researching, got all the parts i needed ready. And start to finish installed my whole setup in one day with NO issues. It's a great feeling!!

PM Citymunky. He just installed twins on his G35 and has a great pictorial write up to give you an idea on what you will be looking at.

P.S. Quit taking car advice from random dudes at the gym!!!!!
HAHA yah i wont take anymore gym advice. but doing a built block and a turbo setup =/ iono..thats a lot of cash tp spend on one car.....oh and theres no way i could install something of thi s magnitude myself. I JUST DRIVE! lol