Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

motors gone

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TreeFiddyZee
Yes, they will cover it. It's covered under comprehensive insurance. I know this because a version of this happened to me about 4 months ago.
so my comprehensive insurance might as well be a mechanical warranty also? if I blow my tranny is it covered?
Old 01-24-2010, 02:51 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@Blackline
so my comprehensive insurance might as well be a mechanical warranty also? if I blow my tranny is it covered?
Since he ingested water into the engine during a rainstorm, it could be covered. A blown tranny has nothing to do with comprehensive insurance.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Sleeper01

Originally Posted by Mike@Blackline
The car was damaged due to rain and floods, the insurance will cover it. My friend hydrolocked his engine awhile back and had the engine replaced by his insurance. They will offer to give you a used engine but demand a new one. My friend did that, he got a new engine.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:22 PM
vinniePOOH

hmmm i want a new one! but should i put back the stock parts?
Old 01-24-2010, 10:33 PM
dirtbikr

You should start it.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:41 AM
FineWine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not an expert, but why would you dismiss the engine as gone without at least trying to start it?
Old 01-25-2010, 09:42 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Put a small bit of oil into each cylinder and then do the compression test. The piston-ring interface is just washed out. It's a good idea to get an oil film back in there before starting anyway.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:19 PM
vinniePOOH

k guys started the car. nothing happen and my heart sank soo now i need to get rid of my header back single full ti-exhaust.

damn..anyone with a long block??
Old 01-27-2010, 05:41 AM
FineWine

Describe "nothing happended"?

It didn't crank?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:22 AM
vinniePOOH

it cranked but that's all it did.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:44 AM
FineWine

Have you verified spark? Do the cylinders smell of fuel? Were there any unusual noises?

I feel like it should have at least _tried_ to start up.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:00 AM
shiftdrift06

Originally Posted by binder
wtf, how are all these people hydrolocking engines? my cai on my honda was 2"...yes, 2" off the ground and i drove it year round in snow, rain, the whole horrible midwest storms and no problems.

You have to completely submerse the intake tube to hydrolock. Hydrolocking doesn't happen with just water on the filter, it has to be under water.

I also am very skeptical of having all cylinders of a pressure reading of under 60. I'm not saying you didn't do it right, but ya, basically i'm saying you didn't do it right. If you cracked a piston then you would have a low compression (or none) on 1 cylinder. It's highly unlikely that not only did you hydrolock your engine but you have low compression on EVERY cylinder.

Also, if the car sputtered then died, you didn't hydrolock. When enough water gets in the engine to hydrolock it stops dead in it's tracks (hence the hydroLOCK). I've hydrolocked bike engines with oil before. One i remember the most was at 9k rpms. It went from 9k to zero instantly. No stall, no sputter.

An engine that stalls out due to water ingestion would sputter and die because the water would absorb the energy of the combustion and not allow the engine to fire properly. I work on many GNCC bikes that do this going across streams. I drain the engines and they usually run just fine afterwards.
I beg to differ, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO COMPLETELY SUBMERGE THE INTAKE.

A small puddle will do, I had a CAI on my ECLIPSE. I pulled the plugs and crank the engine over acouple times to let all the water out.
It still ran okay after wards but a year later when I rebuilt the engine this is what i found.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:06 AM
vinniePOOH

Originally Posted by FineWine
Have you verified spark? Do the cylinders smell of fuel? Were there any unusual noises?

I feel like it should have at least _tried_ to start up.
i installed new spark plugs NGK plat. laser. The cylinder did smell of fuel and not really really unusual noises but you can somewhat distinguish some metal to metal rubbering. but other then that it didnt start.

my neighbor and i was all disappointed.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:20 AM
FineWine

Originally Posted by vinniePOOH
i installed new spark plugs NGK plat. laser. The cylinder did smell of fuel and not really really unusual noises but you can somewhat distinguish some metal to metal rubbering. but other then that it didnt start.

my neighbor and i was all disappointed.

Verify spark before you pronounce it dead. There's more to ignition than just the plugs
Old 01-27-2010, 09:28 AM
vinniePOOH

true
Old 01-27-2010, 09:53 AM
dirtbikr

Man, it doesn't sound like you're trying very hard, give it a chance before you pronounce it totally dead. If it's cranking that's a good sign, keep trying and verify spark, fuel and air. That's all it takes to get it goin, make sure you have all 3.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:22 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shiftdrift06
I beg to differ, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO COMPLETELY SUBMERGE THE INTAKE.

A small puddle will do, I had a CAI on my ECLIPSE. I pulled the plugs and crank the engine over acouple times to let all the water out.
It still ran okay after wards but a year later when I rebuilt the engine this is what i found.
If you hit a puddle how do you know the intake wasn't completely submersed for a brief second? More than likely it did for at least a complete revolution of the engine which is a very short time. 287k on my honda with a CAI 2" off the ground. Daily driver year round in midwest storms. Also I've had my GNCC racers cover their bikes in water multiple times during races and never had an issue. If you can take the plugs out and crank the engine over and water comes out then yes you have ingested enough water to cause damage. There should never be that quantity of water inside a cylinder.

Originally Posted by dirtbikr
Man, it doesn't sound like you're trying very hard, give it a chance before you pronounce it totally dead. If it's cranking that's a good sign, keep trying and verify spark, fuel and air. That's all it takes to get it goin, make sure you have all 3.
i second that. I would be doing a few more diagnostics before giving up on it. How do you know the water didn't damage your electrical system or ignition system? That would cause it not to fire therefore not start up.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:44 PM
davidc

I had this happened before, if you got water in the engine your problem might be very serious, since water can't be compressed your engine might be done.
Your inssurance should cover it but like someone already said they change it with a salvaged engine, make sure you have info on the engine before you agree to put it in your car, you are entiteled to an engine with the same or less millage than yours, be aware of where it is coming from, get the name and phone number of the seller from your inssurance, ussually it is BKQ and talk to someone there about the engine before the repair shop orders it.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:14 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The long intake gives you an extra 2 horsepower, but combined with rain ruined the motor. Hell of a trade-off. Hope all members read and heed this thread.