Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Bolt ons and cost of getting dyno testing

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 05:44 PM
leakyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend with simillar stuff:
04 roadster touring
test pipes, greddy tic, skunk2 spacer, stillen lighten pulley, voltage stabilizer, stock flywheel clutchmasters clutch, stock ecu, fujita intake....made 241(best of 3) on dynojet.

Average price around here is $75 for 3 pulls
Old 02-19-2010, 01:05 PM
lkallos

Cool

Went down to the dealer and as I expected, they said everything was installed correct and the flywheel was the cause of that noise... I drove her differently today, paying closer attention to gear selection. Before I would just torque through where I coulda/shoulda been downshifting,, after the downshift today,,, no more noise. OEM = lazymans clutch. Thankfully the upside of this install is very apparent in the way it revs up now,, much quicker response. Can't wait to get the clutch broken in. The other thing is this setup feels lighter as it comes to pedal pressure vs oem. I thought it would get a bit heavier. Overall, feel like I am driving a totally different car. Trying to grab 1st gear is more finnicky than ever, and I'm trying to be gentle.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:18 PM
*ICE*

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your whp would be at the maximum of 230 on some dyno, or 245 on another. The number which doesn't mean anything really.. I usually dont trust dyno because it could be varies from shop to shop because some shop will actually adjusted their dyno to make the number read more than what your car is actually put down(to make you happy, that will lead to you telling your friend to spend money there, aka marketing gimmick). Dyno is a only a good tool to show you the before and after number when you adding more performance parts to the car. I gained +40whp after have it tuned with Osiris Uprev with pop charger, kinetix plenum, test pipes & HKS exhaust. It was 220whp with all those mods and 260whp after the tune. Now, those number is only good as a conversation starter at car meet, but its the gain that I care about and how the car perform afterward that matter most.

I suggest you sell the "NLP Performance Module (essentially, a ecu piggyback chip)" because it doesn't do much to your car really. It probably making your car run more rich (more fuel than air) because it does not tune to your specific mods, but to the overall modification.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:50 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
You can sleep in your but you can't race your house

You are being heckled because you clearly didn't search...and you have no "real" power mods besides the spacer and the po charger both are not huge gains you might make 10-20whp over stock with those mods. The only way to be sure is get it dynoed but if you didn't get it dynoed before you won't know what you gained only where you are now. With a Nismo cold air intake, skunk II spacer, Stillen dual exhaust and a SAFC (old skool piggy back) my car made 230whp on a Mustang dyno. Its probobly about $230 for a base line that usually means 3 dyno pulls.
On a DE, oh hell no.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:23 PM
leakyZ

Originally Posted by *ICE*
your whp would be at the maximum of 230 on some dyno, or 245 on another. The number which doesn't mean anything really.. I usually dont trust dyno because it could be varies from shop to shop because some shop will actually adjusted their dyno to make the number read more than what your car is actually put down(to make you happy, that will lead to you telling your friend to spend money there, aka marketing gimmick). Dyno is a only a good tool to show you the before and after number when you adding more performance parts to the car. I gained +40whp after have it tuned with Osiris Uprev with pop charger, kinetix plenum, test pipes & HKS exhaust. It was 220whp with all those mods and 260whp after the tune. Now, those number is only good as a conversation starter at car meet, but its the gain that I care about and how the car perform afterward that matter most.

I suggest you sell the "NLP Performance Module (essentially, a ecu piggyback chip)" because it doesn't do much to your car really. It probably making your car run more rich (more fuel than air) because it does not tune to your specific mods, but to the overall modification.

+1 about the dyno. I went to a dyno day once and the first car up was this POS civic, im talking different color panels and rust and ....... you get it. It had a SOHC motor with a make shift ebay turbo kit with JB welded pipes and all kinds of weirdness, anyway the thing was making 275whp. We were all in shock. Then the shop owner adjusted the correction factor and the altitude and viola!! 145whp!!!!!

Last edited by leakyZ; 02-20-2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: misquoted
Old 02-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NISMO_558
On a DE, oh hell no.
I bet it would do 10whp
Old 02-22-2010, 05:17 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NISMO_558
On a DE, oh hell no.
I made 22whp above stock with

i/tp/e/udp/plenum/ecu flash

I also ran 13.1 @ 107mph in a DE.

It is possible but the mods have to work well together and the tune has to be there. Most guys dont ever tune the mods and they pick the wrong ones at that. They end up with a louder car than factory with questionable gains of anything at all.