Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Just installed K&N filters..

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Bo's350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed K&N filters..

Wow, what a difference that a simple filter change can do. I have an 08' base which I recently purchased almost 2 weeks ago. Ever since I've got the car the car drives choppy and the engine feels rough. For a while I was thinking it was the transmission with all the whine and stuff. But after I changed to the K&N filters the car now runs alot smoother, no more harsh rides(jerking),whinning, and ocassional stall outs.... And did I mention the freakin sales man lied to me about how he needed to keep the car so he can change the rear brake pads and air filters. Well, come to find out it was never changed because when I pulled the old filter out, the s@#* looked like hell! Man, I wanted to go back and punch that dude in the face. Yep, that's pretty much what I wanted to share and yea the car feels like it has quicker response and slightly more pull up top.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:59 PM
KS0385

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all in your head.

Also, you sure you want to put dirtier air into your engine?
Old 03-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Bo's350Z

Originally Posted by KS0385
It's all in your head.

Also, you sure you want to put dirtier air into your engine?
What do you mean?
Old 03-01-2010, 03:43 PM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bo's350Z
What do you mean?
You will find that the people on this forum are extremely opinionated. You will undoubtedly hear about how you don't get any gains from an intake, how K&N has holes in it or some crap, and how it ultimately makes your engine dirtier. You will also hear all of this and more from people who apparently know more than even you do about your own experience and can tell you whether or not your personal experience ever happened. Not surprisingly, it's more often than not going to be coming from people who have, ironically, nearly zero firsthand experience about what they're talking about.

Ultimately though, you'll get a whole lot of contradictory crap from multiple people and have the hardest time in the world actually finding any of said crap being backed up by solid evidence or hard data - the trolls don't like that sort of thing. No. In fact, they would much rather clown around and say completely unsubstantiated things that are completely unhelpful to you. It's more fun that way, I guess.

As far as your personal experience, that's awesome that you feel gains. I wonder how much of it is the intake modification and how much of it is simply the removal of a dirty filter. Either way, it's great that you're enjoying it. It might not hurt, since it hasn't been very long, to take the filter back to the guy who "cleaned it" for you, and ... ask him a few questions.

Last edited by onagao; 03-01-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Bo's350Z

Originally Posted by onagao
You will find that the people on this forum are extremely opinionated. You will undoubtedly hear about how you don't get any gains from an intake, how K&N has holes in it or some crap, and how it ultimately makes your engine dirtier. You will also hear all of this and more from people who apparently know more than even you do about your own experience and can tell you whether or not your personal experience ever happened. Not surprisingly, it's more often than not going to be coming from people who have, ironically, nearly zero firsthand experience about what they're talking about.

Ultimately though, you'll get a whole lot of contradictory crap from multiple people and have the hardest time in the world actually finding any of said crap being backed up by solid evidence or hard data - the trolls don't like that sort of thing. No. In fact, they would much rather clown around and say completely unsubstantiated things that are completely unhelpful to you. It's more fun that way, I guess.

As far as your personal experience, that's awesome that you feel gains. I wonder how much of it is the intake modification and how much of it is simply the removal of a dirty filter. Either way, it's great that you're enjoying it. It might not hurt, since it hasn't been very long, to take the filter back to the guy who "cleaned it" for you, and ... ask him a few questions.
Dealer Salesman said he would replace the filter come to find out he didn't. I HATE LIARS!!..I'm pretty sure it's just the change of a dirty filter(real dirty) that help bring back the performance that use to be there. If there are any gains I'm pretty sure it's very little if any.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You may want to get the car looked at by a more reputable dealer since you're probably still under warranty.

If they lied about $10 air filters who knows what else could be wrong with it.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:23 PM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by onagao

Very well said!!! However, that's not everyone here, (but then you didn't say it was). I've found great stuff on this site (audio mods, install how to's, etc). But since I've been around on this site here for awhile, I've seen exactly what you describe. The solution - use the internet and other sources to substantiate your decision or experience (if needed). I'm sure other car owners have had the same questions about K & N's. I know I've had. Onagao, keep posting and keep the truth out there!!!
Old 03-01-2010, 05:09 PM
ZPHILE

Default Something I found on the internet on filters

Interesting reading. My disclaimer is that the tester did not test in a closed (lab) environment. One filter could have been tested on a different/"dirtier" day than the others. Chime in on this if you can.

H.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm
Old 03-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Bo's350Z

Interesting...Hey we got the same color car, carbon silver ftw!