Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

VQ35DE vs. 2JZGE

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003 | 08:31 PM
Don_Da_Z

Default VQ35DE vs. 2JZGE

I was wondering how much power can the VQ35 take on stock internals???? My brother have a Turbo IS300 and he is saying that the VQ35 can't take as much power as his 2jzge. Is this true??

Thank you
Old 10-27-2003 | 08:43 PM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

yes it is.

2jz=steel block, solid too.

Z=aluminum open head.

it will take some work on the Z to get it to handle that sort of PSI. but on the plus side, it takes far less PSI to get the same power thanks to technology, and less power to get the same speed, thanks to a much lighter engine and car.

215hp N/A vs 287hp N/A. what PSI does he run and how much power?

oh yeah 2JZ=dyno queen.

the supra was well known for its ability to hit 12s at 400hp or 800hp. I never really knew why that was.
Old 10-27-2003 | 09:16 PM
Don_Da_Z

He has the Toyomoto stage 2, i believe he make 438whp at 14psi on pump gas..
Old 10-27-2003 | 09:24 PM
350Now

I believe the 2JZ are like bulletproof and can take some abuse. Our Z motor is open deck and will need some re-sleeving and can be made stronger by making it a close deck...

One more note.. I believe our rods are the weak link and on stock form might not be able to handle more than 450hp... (just from what I've read)

Last edited by 350Now; 10-27-2003 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-27-2003 | 09:25 PM
Dissolved

2jz=forged internals
vq=no forged internals
Old 10-28-2003 | 04:07 AM
Juztin

The VQ definately has technology on it's side as running 14psi on this motor with the 10.3:1 cr & turbo setup would net you ~540rwhp. With some SC/Turbo cams you should see an additional power gain of atleast 20rwhp so that's ~560rwhp for starters on pump gas. Not to bad in my book, only kicker is the cost of strengthening the motor and parts which we all know is not cheap by any means.
Old 10-28-2003 | 07:48 AM
Dissolved

Originally posted by Juztin
The VQ definately has technology on it's side as running 14psi on this motor with the 10.3:1 cr & turbo setup would net you ~540rwhp. With some SC/Turbo cams you should see an additional power gain of atleast 20rwhp so that's ~560rwhp for starters on pump gas. Not to bad in my book, only kicker is the cost of strengthening the motor and parts which we all know is not cheap by any means.
Problem is, 10:3 compression is too high for 14psi..beefier internals or not. The VQ has technology on it's side as far as "being fast for an NA" is concerned. It's a well tuned motor from the factory...which is why gains from bolt on mods are so minimal

Show me someone who would not want a motor like the 2jz in their cars
Old 10-28-2003 | 08:01 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

Originally posted by Pure Tremble
2jz=forged internals
vq=no forged internals
VQ has a forged crank....I'm pretty sure the rods are forged too.

VQ will handle 14 pounds no problem with proper tuning. There are maxima guys with VQ30DEs running 15+psi and nitrous on completely stock motors with no problem.

I don't believe the 2JZ-GE has ANY forged internal parts. The 2JZ-GTE has forged internals but that's the Supra turbo motor...the 2JZ-GE that this guy is talking about is the same block with different internals.
Old 10-28-2003 | 10:42 AM
ravaz

The VQ rods are not forged.
Old 10-28-2003 | 11:16 AM
travis9_350z

Yes they are, so is the crank, the pistons are not however...

Morover though, you people gotta get this straight...

Just cause something is "forged" does not mean its super strong.....there are many diferent levels of metallurgy, and factory stuff is pretty damn weak, even if it is "forged"..
Old 10-28-2003 | 11:31 AM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

my bad, the IS300 2jz is not the same as the supra 2jz, tho obviously he could buy the parts to make it the same and that stage kit may include that even, Im not familiar.

but I wouldnt worry about that, the supra really was way way behind its time. it used brute force to be strong. just crank the boost to the sky and light the tires up. it couldnt handle well, and was rather inefficient. it was really a step back in engineering, rather than making it high tech, they made it lowtech.

not to say it didnt work, cause there are various 800hp supras that say it did. but the VQ is nothing like it, apples to oranges, which engine is better? F1 or drag racer? both incredably powerful, but with very very different methods to get there.
Old 10-28-2003 | 11:32 AM
Dissolved

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

I don't believe the 2JZ-GE has ANY forged internal parts. The 2JZ-GTE has forged internals but that's the Supra turbo motor...the 2JZ-GE that this guy is talking about is the same block with different internals.
my mistake. he said something sbout 2jz and boost and i figured we were talking about the mkiv's 2jz. Are you sure the non-t 2jz doesnt have forged internals?

Originally posted by travis9_350z
Yes they are, so is the crank, the pistons are not however...

Morover though, you people gotta get this straight...

Just cause something is "forged" does not mean its super strong.....there are many diferent levels of metallurgy, and factory stuff is pretty damn weak, even if it is "forged"..
Not the supra motor. Drivetrain can take close to 900hp no problem
Old 10-28-2003 | 11:41 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

Originally posted by Pure Tremble
my mistake. he said something sbout 2jz and boost and i figured we were talking about the mkiv's 2jz. Are you sure the non-t 2jz doesnt have forged internals?
Not totally sure, but I do know that it has different internals than the 2JZ-GTE....
Old 10-28-2003 | 11:43 AM
azrael

Originally posted by ares
yes it is.

2jz=steel block, solid too.

Z=aluminum open head.

it will take some work on the Z to get it to handle that sort of PSI. but on the plus side, it takes far less PSI to get the same power thanks to technology, and less power to get the same speed, thanks to a much lighter engine and car.

215hp N/A vs 287hp N/A. what PSI does he run and how much power?

oh yeah 2JZ=dyno queen.

the supra was well known for its ability to hit 12s at 400hp or 800hp. I never really knew why that was.
this whole thread is loaded with misinformation. but to correct just a few points here:

1. The 2JZ-GE (and -GTE) both have an IRON block, not steel.

2. The VQ35DE has no real technology advantage over the 2JZ-GE other than variable cam timing, which isn't going to make a huge difference under boost.

3. The Supra is known as a dyno queen because it's easy to make huge HP numbers.. but it's not easy to launch the car. The Supra's independent rear suspension makes it a very capable road racer, but a bad drag car. Most owners don't know how to drive it.. but those who do can are capable of great ETs. Keep in mind that the 350Z will probably have the same issue once people start making real power.

I'm not sure why you think that the 2JZ was a technological "step-back" and was only a brute force method of making power. In most ways, it is very much a front runner in the technology arena. Great block design, very stout, forged internals, good airflow numbers for the head. I'd much rather have a 2JZ than a VQ, honestly. The only major advantage we have is weight.
Old 10-28-2003 | 11:47 AM
azrael

Not totally sure, but I do know that it has different internals than the 2JZ-GTE....
wrong. the differences:

The 2JZ-GE has a completely different head, and no piston oil squirters. The rods and crank are identical, and the pistons are made with the same material.. but they are higher-compression. The block is also identical. Check the SupraForums FAQ for more specific details.

EDIT: sorry if I come off harsh.. I just get annoyed when I see a lot of misinformation being spread around.. and I see that a LOT on this forum for some reason.

Last edited by azrael; 10-28-2003 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-28-2003 | 12:17 PM
Dissolved

Originally posted by azrael
this whole thread is loaded with misinformation. but to correct just a few points here:

I'm not sure why you think that the 2JZ was a technological "step-back" and was only a brute force method of making power. In most ways, it is very much a front runner in the technology arena. Great block design, very stout, forged internals, good airflow numbers for the head. I'd much rather have a 2JZ than a VQ, honestly. The only major advantage we have is weight.
So I was right after all about the internals being forged !

Agree with you in your last paragraph there. 2jz is a bad a$$ motor. Nicer than the VQ and VG. Not the RB26DETT though

Last edited by Dissolved; 10-28-2003 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-28-2003 | 12:19 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

wrong. the differences:

The 2JZ-GE has a completely different head, and no piston oil squirters. The rods and crank are identical, and the pistons are made with the same material.. but they are higher-compression. The block is also identical. Check the SupraForums FAQ for more specific details.

EDIT: sorry if I come off harsh.. I just get annoyed when I see a lot of misinformation being spread around.. and I see that a LOT on this forum for some reason.
I SAID I WASN'T SURE....JESUS...

Furthermore...I was right about the internals....the N/A motor has different pistons

There is A LOT of misinformation on EVERY forum on the internet...
Old 10-28-2003 | 12:21 PM
Dissolved

I SAID I WASN'T SURE....JESUS...

Furthermore...I was right about the internals....the N/A motor has different pistons

Well, the NA versions are almost always higher compression though....
Old 10-28-2003 | 12:23 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

3. The Supra is known as a dyno queen because it's easy to make huge HP numbers.. but it's not easy to launch the car. The Supra's independent rear suspension makes it a very capable road racer, but a bad drag car. Most owners don't know how to drive it.. but those who do can are capable of great ETs. Keep in mind that the 350Z will probably have the same issue once people start making real power.

Speaking of misinformation....the Supra is NOT a dyno queen because of the diffuculty of launch....rather the very UNUSABLE powerband of sometimes as little as 1500rpms with the bigger single turbo applications. It's simply useless for anything but going fast in a straight line with that small of a power band.
Old 10-28-2003 | 12:39 PM
Dissolved

Speaking of misinformation....the Supra is NOT a dyno queen because of the diffuculty of launch....rather the very UNUSABLE powerband of sometimes as little as 1500rpms with the bigger single turbo applications. It's simply useless for anything but going fast in a straight line with that small of a power band.
I think he was saying it's a dyno queen become of it's ability to make huge HP numbers. The "difficulty with launch" thing was just thrown in afterwards. The bigger turbos (t-78, t-88 etc) dont really make boost til 4 grand. Making it not very streetable...very good for highway runs though

Quick Reply: VQ35DE vs. 2JZGE