Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

A Little Better than OEM Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010 | 02:52 AM
SilverSpear

Default A Little Better than OEM Clutch?

Hello guys,

I am in the market for something a bit better than the OEM clutch. I don't want something too excessive or too expensive, just something moderate. The stock clutch runs approx for $80 new, I am willing to pay up to $200 for an aftermarket replacement clutch. What options do I have?

Thanks in advance
Dan
Old 03-22-2010 | 03:29 AM
davidv

THe prices you are quoting make little sense to me. OEM clutch for $80? Maybe the wuppees to dollars dollars to wuppees is confusing.

Better clutch? What does better mean?
Old 03-22-2010 | 04:03 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic
Premier Member

ya, prices dont make sense to me either, but i would recommend the JWT clutch with some motul RBF600 fluid in the clutch res, ss clutch line and nismo roller bearing pilot bushing and you will be happy. pivot ball is whatever you want, i have yet to ever see one break, but ya.....u can get that too...

but thats not 200 bucks, but about as cheap as it gonna get on proven parts...

and thats with keeping the oem flywheel...

http://www.importpartspro.com/jwtheduclkit.html

-J
Old 03-22-2010 | 05:17 AM
SilverSpear

Well guys, it is $77 for the disc.

Check HERE please

No way I will pay $400 + Sh for an aftermarket one, not within my budget right now.
Old 03-22-2010 | 05:23 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic
Premier Member

........your just gonna replace the disc.....

80 for a clutch is not a clutch disc.....your not replacing the clutch when doing that.........anywho...ya, no others out there that i know of that make a more aggressive contact "disc only" for sale...

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 03-29-2010 at 04:08 AM.
Old 03-22-2010 | 05:28 AM
SilverSpear

Well if I am not mistaken, when your clutch slips, it is essentially the disc pads that are worn out right? I was looking to replace the worn out part with something a little more durable.

The Z is my daily ride, I'm not looking to race her.
Old 03-22-2010 | 07:10 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by SilverSpear

Check HERE please

No way I will pay $400 + Sh for an aftermarket one, not within my budget right now.
That is just the disc. It will work fine.
Old 03-22-2010 | 09:26 AM
musubi

Well if I am not mistaken, when your clutch slips, it is essentially the disc pads that are worn out right? I was looking to replace the worn out part with something a little more durable.

The Z is my daily ride, I'm not looking to race her.
If your clutch is slipping, you might want to look at replacing your flywheel also, as the flywheel may be worn out as well. Although...for a new stock flywheel, that's about $900 to $1100. There's other parts others would recommend replacing, since the trans is out, but on $200.00 you might only be in for the clutch disc replacement, if you're doing it yourself.
Old 03-22-2010 | 11:15 PM
SilverSpear

Thanks guys for your assistance.
Old 03-29-2010 | 04:11 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Check HERE please

well, let us know when you open up the burnt out oem clutch and find that your clutch pressure plate has wear marks "due to the clutch rivets" making contact.

thats why you should buck up and get the JWT or any other clutch...

Once the oem DISC gets worn out, if your driving around like that for even a week, you will do all the dissassembly and find that the oem clutch pressure plate will have the indentions/grooves in it from the clutch disc rivets making metal to metal contact and fugging it up.........

in the end, just replacing the disk like that and not getting a NEW clutch - with a new mating pressure surface will result in an 80 dollar quick fix......

have fun doing it again down the road correctly as the oem clutch presurre plate ring surface will be worn to hell.....and youll need to do this again in 6months...

-J
Old 03-31-2010 | 09:27 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic
Premier Member

any news? how was the pressure plate on the clutch side? pics?

-J
Old 04-01-2010 | 12:26 AM
SilverSpear

Jason,

If you check my location, I am from the Middle East and I am living there. I am a Lebanese expat working in Qatar, my car is now in Lebanon (Beirut), and its clutch is somehow fine so far, the car has 50k kms on its ODO. I just wanted a spare I can keep aside just in case.

I am not worried about pressure plate or flywheel at the moment. Machining is somehow cheap in Leb, and whatever marks are there, I can resurface easily. If not, I know of a local tuning shop who does swaps and projects on Z's, he probably have a stack of pressure plates laying around. I just want to rest my consciousness with a brand new clutch since I do not believe in used ones.

I have no doubt in your knowledge and I know you are right. I just cannot afford a JWT at the moment since I am in a middle of a 30K$ project on my subaru, my house overhaul and my wedding costs and preparation all at the same time. I have the opportunity to have a new clutch shipped for cheap to where I am right now. He is doing that by sea cargo, and I have a bunch of subaru parts along with this clutch.

Now you know everything
Old 04-01-2010 | 03:27 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic
Premier Member

sounds like ya got it covered......i have seen too many of my buds drop the clutch to have to do it again or leave the car on stands tilll they order more parts....

-J