Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

My 450Z Build thread - VH45DE Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 10:10 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by archangel72
I have a question for Z1 or any vet about the stock tranny and rear end. Does it make a difference that the cars that have high hp/tq output you mentioned are peak power, vs the fact that since this is a change in engine displacement, the instant torque may put more wear and tear on stock items, such as the case with his freinds previous swap?
look at hal's drag car (up at 1000hp, stock 6 speed), rich's (str8dum1) 1000hp beast, and mike (xkr)'s 1000hp beast.

I'm not sure what diff's they are using but i know they are a standard 6speed. Not many options on upgrading the 6 speeds unless you go to a whole different transmission.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:37 PM
archangel72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:01 PM
supergoji

increase the displacement to 5.0L and twin turbo it.

you wont be sorry
Old 08-15-2010, 07:15 AM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Name:  motivator1789543.jpg
Views: 3147
Size:  50.5 KB

The R200 diff is strong enough. The 6 speed is stronger than the z32 trans. Problem is getting an adaptor.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Deedilus

Hey guys, hopefully going to have a decent sized update tomorrow. Haven't been able to snag any pictures of whats going on or anything lately; but we're getting the tranny adapter onto the tranny tomorrow.

To everyone discussing Z32 vs Z33 tranny: Yes, the Z33 tranny is probably strong enough. I thought it was, and when they said I should think about switching to the Z32 I was extremely confused about it. But since I know someone who has had issues with the tranny and knowing that all 3 VH45-swapped cars that I've seen in person (Z32, and two S13's) are running the Z32 tranny, drifting it daily, and having no problems, I decided I'd go with the tranny I knew would handle it and is also easy to find and inexpensive. Also, the fabrication work to adapt the Z33 tranny to the VH45 would be incredibly difficult and expensive. No thanks.

Also, to answer Sylvia Zcarr's questions:
- The stock radiator will not handle it (I recall that's what my buddy said), what we're going to do is use one that we know will handle it to start breaking in the clutch and get things rolling. After another two pay checks or so once I've caught up with my bills I'm going to invest in a monstrous radiator so I won't have to worry about it what-so-ever.

- The cooling fans will indeed come on when up to temps.

- Check, definitely are considering it. Going to be interesting to see how everything goes together.

- The fuel pump is still up in the air, we're going to try and run some tests this week to see if it will be up to par with the new requirements. I believe the VH45 Z32 out here is using the stock fuel pumps with no issues, so I have a good feeling the fuel pump will be fine. But that one is still undetermined and will be getting tested later on this week.

- Definitely. We've decided to keep it in the engine bay for the current point in time, that way we don't have to worry about anything going wrong. Just keep it simple at first, then we can complicate things later.

bbs350z:
Solid bushings are a check, as well as stand-alone ECU.
We're determined to keep the stock cluster at the moment. We'll see how it works later on in the week when we get it running and all, and if everything fails and we can't keep the stock cluster, then we're going to go custom.

supergoji:
Increasing displacement to 5.0L is definitely on the to-do list . Problem is getting the cams, I haven't done my research on them yet or done google searches, but a Z32 in the UK with this swap did the ECU and increased displacement to 5.0L and is running 420whp... and GOD it sounds good! But from what I remember he had to get everything fabricated and it cost him ~ £1,890 or so. Definitely not affordable at the current point in time.

Thanks for the support everyone, like I said hopefully going to get an update with pictures and stuff tomorrow. Planning on having it all done this coming Sunday.

Last edited by Deedilus; 08-18-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:11 AM
Deedilus

Some overdue pictures!

My new V8 inside of it's new home! Time for some cleaning / painting, then mount fabrication and whatnot!

The very same engine I posted before, an example of how incredible it will look when it's all done!

My new tranny on the way to my friends garage to get it's adapter plate fitted! Hardest part of the swap.

My new Centerforce clutch and Fidanza lightweight flywheel! Scored these off of a 300zx TT at the scrap yard, they have less than 20 miles on them! Owner of the 300zx was on the second test drive of the TT when they wrecked... ouch!

Always nice to reward yourself after a long, tiring day with some fresh Tuna Nigiri and Seaweed, Squid and Sesame salad

Tranny adapter will be on tomorrow, and then tranny will be attached to the engine, and the fab work begins... Still shooting for it being finished on Sunday! It's gonna make time tight to get it done, but it keeps things progressing. If not, then sometime early next week for sure.

The engine was the furthest back it could possibly be and it was looking like the shifter wouldn't reach to the stock shifter position! So right now it looks like the shifter might have to be extended a bit just so it'll rest inside of the stock shifter place.. Some test fitments are DEFINITELY going to go down when I get the transmission back to my buddy! There was a bunch more that he told me and explained to me today, but it's so late and I'm so full of sushi that I can't possibly remember at the moment. Will do a small update tomorrow as well.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:12 AM
Deedilus

Alright, **** update time now. Been some major drama going on about my transmission adapter plate, and as a result instead of picking my car up today, I'm taking a new bell housing over to Austin for my car.

The people down here in San Antonio that I had making the transmissions adapter plate are some friends of mine that do swaps of all kind, and have done this swap in two S13's. The first plate they made was absolutely disgusting, and would in no way work.

Here are some of the pics from when I first picked up the tranny with the plate off of it.

Hmmm, those holes aren't lining up too well, are they?

Weird, neither are those ones... Both of these pictures were taken with two bolts inside the top two holes, which we later found out are the only ones we could even bolt up at the same time.

Weird, that's not sitting flush on the tranny! What am I suppose to do with a flared adapter plate?

Hmm, there's suppose to be a hole drilled in the transmission right there so you can actually use the corresponding hole in the adapter plate, along with the housing shaved down a little so you can actually use a socket on it.... Where is it?

Damn man, the other sides not sitting flush or anywhere NEAR flush! Is driving with a transmission cockeyed the new fad?

Umm, aluminum is not thick enough? How is this suppose to sit flush on the tranny with engine bolts in it when they all pop up through the counter sinks?!

That counter sink is pretty pathetic, did they even do a test with a wrench? And also that engine bolt doesn't look like it's going to fit through there... And low and behold, the engine bolts didn't fit into any of them.

What's this? Are those aluminum shavings?? They're even in the input shaft, AWESOME!

So, as you can see it was very disturbing and pathetic. That adapter plate was NOT worth $350; it wasn't even worth the $50 that payed for the aluminum. Yes, there are some things that can fix part of it (like the engine bolt holes) with a little bit of fabrication, but if I'm paying $350 for the part, why doesn't it come complete, ready to bolt on? ESPECIALLY if they had the transmission there the entire time!

They ended up buying me a new bell housing and we gave them the altered one back, so they have one to use for another project of theirs. Going to go with a steel plate from Craig's friend in AZ who also makes the ECU's, no shaving required (although there's going to be some shaving done to make it fit a bit better) and goes all the way around the tranny, utilizing a lot more mounting bolts.

Last edited by Deedilus; 09-05-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:58 AM
bigcloud

Sorry to hear that you're going through this, but a project of this magnitude is quite difficult to pull off. With that being said you're trying something only performance "shop" cars have done. You're doing something that is not that common to do in the Z. Plus there are no swap kits out there for this particular engine. That means you have to do everything custom. If you wanted a V8 I would have personally gone a different more proven route. Either way I hope you get your car back soon and running great.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

sorry to hear about all the drama. one thing I can say is, if you have any financial concerns, why the hell would you even want to tackle a project like this? one offs always, always, always have unexpected costs. there's no way to predict how much it will cost in the end. most folks say to price it out and then have twice the amount ready to roll just in case.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Deedilus

Sorry for no updates, been a lot of stuff happening. Somehow when the fab work was being done, the carbon driveshaft came up an inch too short. It could have worked, but we'd rather not risk it. Should have a brand new, shiny, just made steel drive shaft on Tuesday.

Engine and tranny have been in the car together, engine has been started and checked out. Thing is so smooth!!!! Got the stainless steel clutch lines in, ready to be bled. Craig's probably going to work on the tranny mounts sometime tonight or tomorrow morning.

Ordering the radiator probably tomorrow; going with a full aluminum. All I know is it better be able to cool my room in the middle of summer on the equator after 438 Range Rovers had been driven around the house (which, according to the environmentalists should warm that particular spot up quite nicely) or else I'm going to have to have a good old talk with the Northern!

Mmmm, looks like an intercooler! I think a toast should be given to my new, actually functional "interfooler."

But anyway, tranny mounts and radiator nonsense tomorrow, then it's going to be close to painting time for the engine's valve covers (still haven't chosen a color!), figuring out how he's going to do the headers and whatnot, etc. etc. Craig is shooting for Wednesday I can drive it back. It won't have A/C and will have limited power steering, then in about a week or two afterwards the new ECU is going to go in along with electric power steering and maybe A/C. A/C is definitely going in, just gotta figure out what the whole deal is going to be with pumps and such.

I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:39 AM
Deedilus

Name:  DSCF3447.jpg
Views: 3132
Size:  83.9 KB

Name:  DSCF3456.jpg
Views: 3167
Size:  70.7 KB

Name:  DSCF3510.jpg
Views: 3421
Size:  90.1 KB

Name:  DSCF3514.jpg
Views: 2912
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  DSCF3501.jpg
Views: 2839
Size:  41.3 KB

I need some coils.

Bad.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:24 AM
SA Z-boi

good stuff, We will have 2 swaps going on in sa, possibly 3. Your Vh45 and edafe's LS swap.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:21 AM
Deedilus

Name:  DSCF3616.jpg
Views: 2974
Size:  88.6 KB
Still working on the final coat of the blue accent, since I'm getting blue calipers when I get a BBK we decided to continue that theme on the little panels.

Name:  DSCF3609.jpg
Views: 3297
Size:  93.8 KB
Went with a nice charcoal color on the valve covers.

Name:  DSCF3547.jpg
Views: 2907
Size:  98.4 KB
Engine mounts done.

Grill delete is also finished. Clutch and flywheel also on now.

Last edited by Deedilus; 09-13-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:21 AM
hellsoldiers08

so she be any day now? and what 2 other swaps going on?? do you guys ever go to the car meet on thursday?
Old 09-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Deedilus

I'm thinking by next week. Lot has been done but still quite a lot to do, but yeah I'm guessing next week... Engine and tranny going in permanently either today or tomorrow, so I'll keep you guys updated. And yeah, I go to the Thursday meet every week. Right now I'm going in a green element alongside my friends.

Look for an element next to a 370, rx8, 2 mustang gt's, gti, 2 STI's, a protoge, sometimes a lancer, Audi tt and come say whatsup xD. Or if I see a 350 roll in I usually go say whatsup so either way you'll prob see me there
Old 09-18-2010, 08:11 PM
hellsoldiers08

hmm lol well i went this thursday. lol kinda hard to miss alot of z's in one area and i have the black Z that looks stock but it not lol there were 2 Z(350 silver and 370z both slammed) but i was under the impression that if you go below 1" on a Z you need camber arms but they didnt have them :/. One thing the 370z owner did have was the carbon fiber rimes freaken nice lol and 11.5 rims in the back but with a stretched tire which i was like hmm on if it was too stretched but hey not my car lol

Last edited by hellsoldiers08; 09-18-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:16 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hellsoldiers08
hmm lol well i went this thursday. lol kinda hard to miss alot of z's in one area and i have the black Z that looks stock but it not lol there were 2 Z(350 silver and 370z slammed) but i was under the impression that if you go below 1" on a Z you need camber arms but they didnt have them :/. One thing the 370z owner did have was the carbon fiber rimes freaken nice lol and 11.5 rims in the back but with a stretched tire which i was like hmm on if it was too stretched but hey not my car lol

I thought the correct spelling is rhymes, though I am very confused.

Carbon fiber rhymes? Was this person a rapper???
Was this carbon fiber thing related to LeAnn Rimes??

Last edited by 350ZTheStandard; 09-18-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:37 PM
hellsoldiers08

lol sorry i am on vicodin for a stupid staph. infection :/ been in a bad mood for the last week. From the mechanic not listening to my emails about the coil over in stall to yesterday having a mini surgery to open up the infection. I cant even drive the Z with the new toy on it . So basically right now i have more of a reason to have bad grammer than usually i have on the forum, because right now dont give a ......

Main question is that i thought you needed camber arms if going a 1" and below.

Last edited by hellsoldiers08; 09-18-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:47 PM
MDK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be ok in the front, but the back you'll need them for sure.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:50 PM
hellsoldiers08

Ya, that what it thought. I asked them if they got them in spec. and he said yes. Im like how he do that in the back :/. He also was dropped on a higher end bc coil over oem style. Frankly i thought the both didnt do research but hey, maybe they new a lil more than i did.

Quick Reply: My 450Z Build thread - VH45DE Swap