Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

My 450Z Build thread - VH45DE Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 10:19 AM
MDK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need adjustable camber arms and toe bolts; they're not too expensive.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:40 AM
hellsoldiers08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol i know that but im saying how they do it with out it. Im not saying im going to do it. My other friend with a Z wants to do a 1' and below and he got the impression that he can very easily and i just dont want him messing something up.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:13 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Thanks for the updated pics...
Old 09-21-2010, 12:18 PM
Deedilus

Default Update

Things are going pretty good with the swap, run into problems with the headers. Had to do some fabrication on them, passenger side header is finished and on the engine, and the driver side header is being re-made for the 2nd or 3rd time (can't remember which aha). They keep getting too close to things, so hopefully 3rd time's the charm!

The headers should be completed and on the engine around Thursday, as Craig is getting back surgery today and will be out of commission for today and half of tomorrow. After the headers are finished it looks like it'll be time for the wiring harness; luckily since Craig's done more than 20 VH45 swaps (mostly in 300ZX's), he said it won't be a huge big dramatic soap opera.

On a non-engine note, got some things in for the Z today. Unfortunately my last phone broke so I can't show you how my rear camber arms looked, but it was time for some new ones. During the time one of the last owners had the car, the rear camber arms had gotten completely thrashed and then just realigned to fool anyone that the camber arm was in such bad shape. Being a blind imbecile, I didn't notice this when I purchased the car. The carfax was clean so I thought it was all good, but this sort of explains why one of my headlights looks like a cheap aftermarket one, one of my front reflectors is a cheap aftermarket look alike, and why there is a web of cracks and scuffs along the passenger side of the front bumper, as well as some strange bumper fitment on that side as well. Joy.

But anyway, I just got in my new Eibach adjustable rear camber arms. Thanks Z1 for the great price.

Also I was able to score this Corbeau seat from a friend for next to nothing.

As you can see it needs a bit of cleaning for obvious reasons (I think my cats like to make love to it or something, don't see how the hell they got hair near the top of the seat as well), but it was a pretty nice pick up. Not sure I'm going to put it in the Z though, the spring wear marks don't fill me with much confidence... It is very comfortable and SUPER light though, if I could get it re-padded I might consider putting it in the Z.

I also just ordered a new carbon fiber HR hood from Aero Designs USA on here, also thanks for the great price and smooth communication. Now trying to decide between old fashioned cheap hood pins or the new Aerocatch flush-fit ones. I can get a pretty good deal on the Aerocatch from a sponsor, but am still not sure if I want to spend that much more money on them. Any suggestions?

More pics later, going to try and head down to Austin tomorrow and snap some pics of whats going on.

On another note, anyone in the Texas region heading down to XDC this weekend? I'll be there covering the event for Driftworks, if you'll be there let me know and we can swap numbers and meet up while we're all over there.

*DISCLAIMER* Extra JDM-ness added to pictures by putting bamboo behind it. Eyes may implode due to JDM-overdose. Do not stare at for extended periods of time.

Last edited by Deedilus; 09-21-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Hood pins + Disclaimer
Old 09-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Swap looks like it is coming along nice! I am currently putting an LS1 in my Z. Seem to have a bit in common....

Lol. My seats are full of hair.................
Old 09-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Deedilus

Yeah man, I saw! Big props with doing the work yourself. HAHAHAHA, are those the same seats!? Got any suggestions with the whole spring thing? I don't know if I need to try and get it re padded or just replace it all together.. I got it for so cheap I would love to use it!

Just remembered I haven't posted these two pics, so here you guys go:

Engine resting in it's new home last week.

New radiator, thing is MASSIVE!

The grille delete is done now, gonna get a picture when I head up there next.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:19 AM
Deedilus

Update soon.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Quamen

I just noticed, but did you cut out the back corner section of the inner "firewall" near the brake booster and the battery?
Old 09-29-2010, 01:39 AM
alltech_magoo

Good progress. All I can say is BEAST!!!! :thumbsup:
Old 09-29-2010, 02:49 PM
Deedilus

Originally Posted by Quamen
I just noticed, but did you cut out the back corner section of the inner "firewall" near the brake booster and the battery?
Indeed we did.

And I thought my new CF hood was going to come in today but it didn't, so I'll do an update when I get it tomorrow or the next day. The driver side header should also be finished as well, we're needing to remake it so that it goes around the drive shaft.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Quamen

Originally Posted by Deedilus
Indeed we did.

And I thought my new CF hood was going to come in today but it didn't, so I'll do an update when I get it tomorrow or the next day. The driver side header should also be finished as well, we're needing to remake it so that it goes around the drive shaft.
Can you post or PM me some more pictures of the cut areas. I didn't even think about that with my car. I could have gotten my LS1 another 1 or 2 further back.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:12 AM
Deedilus

Yeah, I don't think I have any on my computer but I'm prob going to be heading over to Austin to drop off my new hood in a couple hours, so I'll take some for you then.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Nealoc187

My buddy who knows I'm obsessed with VH swaps sent me a link to this thread. Nice work. I'll be doing a VH swap in a different car for my next project. One of the best engines ever made in my opinion. They are unbelievable, too bad they don't have much aftermarket support because of the vehicles they were offered in. I love the VQ, but the VH is just incredible.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Deedilus

Thanks Nealoc, always nice to get props from someone who knows the VH. I'm right there with you, it's an incredible and amazing engine that's capable of tons. I'm debating whether to go turbo later on, I've heard that it's very easy to get 600whp out of these on stock internals with a simple turbo set up. But that's later on.

So a little mini update, turns out I get my hood Monday, so at least I have an official time now. Got my flush aero catch hood pins (Thanks to Driftworks as always for the excellent price and fast shipping), and also finished wrapping my center console with some extra Neffy wrap lying around. The header will be done soon and Craig is planning on having the car running and driveable on Tuesday, then it's just testing everything and making sure everything is fine.. Hopefully he's right!

And I figured some other people might want to see more when it comes to cutting the useless battery and fluid compartments from inside the engine bay, these cuts were done when everything was getting started and they need to be refined and rolled back a bit because they're sharp as ****!

Hopefully I'll be able to post up a video of it running on Tuesday.

Last edited by Deedilus; 10-04-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Deedilus

Old 10-05-2010, 08:49 PM
hellsoldiers08

please tell me your going to the thursday meet?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Deedilus

Not going to be finished on Thursday unfortunately, but I will be there because my friend just finished putting this engine in his S13 so I'll be there with them.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:48 AM
hellsoldiers08

i guss a good tease doesnt hurt.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:40 AM
Deedilus

Hahaha not at all. I think I saw you leaving when we got there, but I was inside the blue S13 that came in with the pink S13 with the VH45 in it. It was the first time he drove it and was running super rich, but it still ran and was an absolute monster.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:06 AM
hellsoldiers08

O, lol yaa there was a certain emergency, but i came back. Ya, the pink one sounded like a drag bike when he left.

Quick Reply: My 450Z Build thread - VH45DE Swap