Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Need help. Power loss.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 01:18 AM
dmroberson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update:

So apparently Nissan said that my OEM cats are fukked. bank 2 is plugged. That would explain why no exhaust gases were flowing out that side.

Anyway, took teh car home, after saying "no" to fixing that. They wanted $1800 to install new cats. Anyway, still getting the CEL for random multiple misfire, which is flashing.

Got the car to a friends house, and we pulled the cats off. Found that the driver's side was indeed plugged up. Replaced them with my Strup test pipes, cleared the CEL, and it never came back. Also was able to rev past 3K again and actually got down the road doing more than 20mph.

Attached are pics of the driver's side OEM cat.
Attached Thumbnails Need help.  Power loss.-img_20100918_114323.jpg   Need help.  Power loss.-img_20100918_114038.jpg   Need help.  Power loss.-img_20100918_114048.jpg  
Old 09-19-2010, 02:55 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dmroberson
Update:

So apparently Nissan said that my OEM cats are fukked. bank 2 is plugged. That would explain why no exhaust gases were flowing out that side.

Anyway, took teh car home, after saying "no" to fixing that. They wanted $1800 to install new cats. Anyway, still getting the CEL for random multiple misfire, which is flashing.

Got the car to a friends house, and we pulled the cats off. Found that the driver's side was indeed plugged up. Replaced them with my Strup test pipes, cleared the CEL, and it never came back. Also was able to rev past 3K again and actually got down the road doing more than 20mph.

Attached are pics of the driver's side OEM cat.
Looks like damage from leaded gas.

Warranty for emission parts (catalytic converter) varies by state. This is included in your warranty book. Disappointed that Nissan did not replace these for free.

Last edited by davidv; 09-19-2010 at 02:57 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:26 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Looks like damage from leaded gas.

Warranty for emission parts (catalytic converter) varies by state. This is included in your warranty book. Disappointed that Nissan did not replace these for free.
True, but he did take a modified car to them (lots of ways to weasel out of replacement).

Which takes me to another point they charge you to replace all of these pieces (not to mention remove the modified parts you wanted on the car) and they claim they where all needed when it had to be a broken fuel pump and bad cat. I'm not even sure the fuel pump caused the problem now... I would love to have been there when they ran that test. I'm starting to think someone really took you for a ride and was throwing parts at the car until they found the problem. I'd stay away them in the future. Find a new dealer (or a private Nissan shop) for these type of repairs.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:11 AM
dmroberson

Originally Posted by Zazz93
True, but he did take a modified car to them (lots of ways to weasel out of replacement).

Which takes me to another point they charge you to replace all of these pieces (not to mention remove the modified parts you wanted on the car) and they claim they where all needed when it had to be a broken fuel pump and bad cat. I'm not even sure the fuel pump caused the problem now... I would love to have been there when they ran that test. I'm starting to think someone really took you for a ride and was throwing parts at the car until they found the problem. I'd stay away them in the future. Find a new dealer (or a private Nissan shop) for these type of repairs.
Yeah, I had a feeling that's what they did. I had to pay for them to remove my plenum spacer, so they can return it to stock, claiming that the vacuum leaks I had were caused by the spacer... gonna try putting that back on, next week sometime.

I'm also doubtful that the fuel pump was bad too. There was no difference in the way the car drove from when I dropped it off, til I picked it up.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:50 PM
dmroberson

Ok, so I put my plenum spacer back on today... and guess what? No vacuum leak... Nisasn said the leak was coming from the spacer, and the car needed to go back to Stock to correct it.

So, I'm about to head back up to Nissan and have a chat with the Service Manager... I just paid $1700 for, apparently nothing.

Wonder what good talking to him is gonna do though...
Old 09-24-2010, 09:14 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

1. You got taken for a ride

2. Nothing you can do about it except learn and move on and let the community know what a bunch of jerk offs they are