Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

clutch upgrade suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Linuxglobal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch upgrade suggestions

hi guys

so after my little clutch issues, it may be a hotspot on the flywheel or i dont even know what is up with it. My buddy is test driving it this week and then ill proceed either to sticking with it as is (if im truly insane and sensitive to this clutch) or upgrading it.

Ive decided that if i take off this clutch, i will get an aftermarket clutch and flywheel. No point in replacing it with a stock.

Any recommended suggestions for a stock vehicle? I dont have any engine modes so i dont want to get a stage 3/4 clutch.

Some people also mentioned excessive vibrations with aftermarket clutches, is that true with the act and JWT ? I just want a smooth clutch that engages maybe a bit quicker than stock.

I have seen some people mention JWT and ACT

are these good clutches? I found the ACT for around 600$ on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F1-RA...#ht_2745wt_888

Thanks for input
C
Old 10-26-2010, 10:44 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This is a 6-puck clutch. It is not going to be street friendly. Look here: http://www.competitionclutch.com/products/350z/
Old 10-26-2010, 10:48 AM
Linuxglobal

Originally Posted by davidv
This is a 6-puck clutch. It is not going to be street friendly. Look here: http://www.competitionclutch.com/products/350z/
gotca, i gotta through that site and look up the models. Im new to clutch options, thanks for understanding.

so a JWT with more plates would be ideal?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JWT-3...ht_3841wt_1205

BTW is that bearing beside it the throw out bearing? Im thinking of getting that replaced so it stops that slight rattle all Zs have.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:14 AM
hellsoldiers08

you dont need a puck design clutch! you need the ones that look like oem. Unless your heavily racing/drag racing then you dont need it.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Linuxglobal

Originally Posted by hellsoldiers08
you dont need a puck design clutch! you need the ones that look like oem. Unless your heavily racing/drag racing then you dont need it.
lol definitely not racing, just regular daily driving.

Im leaning towards a JWT clutch, does it get good reviews on the forums ?

This isnt the flywheel that people complain about vibrations is it ?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:36 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

^ yes.......the jwt flywheel or any "lighter" fly wheel will have chatter....

honestly, the best bang for the buck for you would be to get another oem flywheel if yours is deamed unusable........and get a JWT clutch (if you want more performance).

or, just replace the clutch disc....SO LONG AS the oem clutch pressure plate isnt all warped...beat to hell..

replacement disc only ~ $77 bucks:
http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=2749

once again...this is only if your oem pressure plate is good...or if you have it resurfaced at a local machine shop...

this required downtime of course/leave car on stands.........while you decide..

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 10-26-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Linuxglobal

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
^ yes.......the jwt flywheel or any "lighter" fly wheel will have chatter....

honestly, the best bang for the buck for you would be to get another oem flywheel if yours is deamed unusable........and get a JWT clutch (if you want more performance).

or, just replace the clutch disc....SO LONG AS the oem clutch pressure plate isnt all warped...beat to hell..

-J
im not a mechanic at all so i have no clue how these things work, im in academia so i just want it to run properly. Im gonna get a hold of a drivetrain schematic to figure this out LOL.

My local dealer said he thinks its perfect, this is the dealer. I mean they would be the first to freak you out to spend money on something you dont need. He said if anything there is a slight hot spot on the flywheel so i think the rest of the components are fine.

All im getting is a rubbing feel in the clutch pedal at take off. Ive made threads about this in the past and its one of those things you cant feel unless you are driving it. Even passengers cant tell.

Thank for the suggestion, ill get some in person opinions from my mechanic friends and ill keep this thread posted.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:08 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Okay,

This is the oem flywheel:

- the wear hot spots shown (i know its hard to tell) are acceptable for a daily driven dude like yourself........

This is the oem clutch - as you can see it has a matting surface called the clutch pressure plate:

-This is a bad clutch!!! ie, notice the lines where the clutch disc rivets wore into it and grooved it pretty good...this would need to be turned at a local auto machine shop/tranny shop that resurfaces clutches...(ignore the rust as i took the pic days later after leaving it outside)

In between the two is the clutch organic disk i linked before thats ~$77 bucks.

hope that helps..
-J
Attached Thumbnails clutch upgrade suggestions-dsc00562.jpg   clutch upgrade suggestions-imag0086.jpg  
Old 10-26-2010, 12:11 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Odds are, the flywheel is fine, as in my experience the oem clutch pressure plate is weaker and wears quicker........

so you can sand scuff the oem flywheel by hand.......get a new 77 dollar disk and reuse the clutch "IF" the clutch pressure plate is fine, OR "IF" you have the pressure plate resurfaced/machined down...

I would just buy at least the JWT clutch and reuse the fly "so long as" the fly is good..

-J
Old 10-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Linuxglobal

Odds are, the flywheel is fine, as in my experience the oem clutch pressure plate is weaker and wears quicker........

so you can sand scuff the oem flywheel by hand.......get a new 77 dollar disk and reuse the clutch "IF" the clutch pressure plate is fine, OR "IF" you have the pressure plate resurfaced/machined down...

I would just buy at least the JWT clutch and reuse the fly "so long as" the fly is good..

-J
wow thanks so much for the pics, makes a bit more sense now.

I linked my previous post where i descried the issues i feel in my clutch.
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...ml#post8745396

I found someone on a nissan truck forum that apparently had a bad driveshaft carrier bearing causing the shaking feel. Im not sure if that even applies to the 350z.

I also tried to get the car going yesterday without any gas, and it doesnt stall but i i feel it vibrating a bit as it starts catching.

PS dealer just told me to give it more gas and i wont feel a thing, so ill see what my mechanic friends recommend before i start replacing clutches. Im just very picky with my cars.

Thanks again for the ongoing help. Im saving these pics for reference when mine comes apart.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:26 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

^ dont dwell to into it either......if your picky..then the 350z isnt for you as its noisy, cluncky and all that jazz.....

The tranny, drivetrain in general is a noisy bish.....turn the radio up and roll son....

-J
Old 10-26-2010, 12:31 PM
mugen727

^^ can't seem to drive without blasting the music up in the car
Old 10-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Linuxglobal

^ dont dwell to into it either......if your picky..then the 350z isnt for you as its noisy, cluncky and all that jazz.....

The tranny, drivetrain in general is a noisy bish.....turn the radio up and roll son....

-J
lol great, i may have found my fix
I got my z only a few months ago so perhaps its just normal. Ill get those quick opinions, kind of sucks since im storing it for the winter too.

Thanks again
C
Old 10-26-2010, 12:55 PM
J's 350z!

I juat picked up act street clutch and flywheel. The rattling doesnt get better with aftermarket hahaha but eh dont bother me my exhaust drowns it out.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:06 AM
T3K_V35

What your feeling is NORMAL. If im right, what your feeling is kind of a rough feeling when your clutch is partialy engaged, but only in the clutch pedal. This feeling is perfectly normal for your car, and mine (05 G35 coupe 6mt). Even the newer G37's do it. BTW im an infiniti dealership tech.....so i hear complaints like this all the time. The clatter/chatter that you speak of from your stock setup is the byproduct of a dual mass flywheel. without switching to a 1 piece flywheel you wont get rid of it. For your purposes i wouldnt recomend lower than an 18lb flywheel, IF you even replace it. Because it does get a lil trickier to drive, and you are going to without a doubt get some measure of chatter....there isnt relly any preventing it once you get to a low enough weight. I know you dont know me...but i have driven enough Z's and G's to know that there is probably nothing wrong with your car.

Last edited by T3K_V35; 10-29-2010 at 05:09 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:15 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

^ what dealership???

own a Z??? come out to our next autoX event??
NOV 6th?? its in the texas meets section.

-J