Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Got my oil changed today because it was really cheap...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 06:22 PM
ou8thisSN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my oil changed today because it was really cheap...

So I bought my car about 6 months ago and got it changed right after the purchase. I had mobile 1 put in at that time.

Today I was driving home and the Valvoline shop by my house was having a 'customer appreciation day' sale, and they were doing standard changes for 20, full synthetic for 40. Mine was bordering on 5,000 miles (the tech at the other shop said i was okay till 6,000 miles). Anyway so I got Valvoline "synpower".

my question is, does anyone use valvoline, or does it not matter as long as I use a full synthetic and dont keep switching back and forth?

sorry if this is an ignorant question, I dont know much about oils and engines and I read a few of those threads in here and the content went way over my head.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Kcee91

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They say stick with what you use he first time. There is not any problems switching different oils, but try to stick with the same one if you can.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:32 PM
ou8thisSN

can i expect this valvoline oil to last 5000-6000 miles? the guys at the shop said they recommend the oil changed at 3000 miles, but when I got mobile 1 the first time, that shop said every 6000 miles.

dont know who to trust
Old 04-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Kcee91

If it was me, I always change oil every 3k miles. If I were you though, try blackstone labs oil test because they give you a recommendation of how oftern your oil should be changed and how your engine is. Check them out.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:12 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The owner's manual says 3750 miles for city driving, 7500 for highway driving, or six months. That's without specifying what kind of oil you use.

You're easily safe with 6000 between changes for highway driving with any good synthetic. If the car's out of warranty, I'd stretch the six months to whatever it takes to get 6000 miles as long as it's not more than a year.

I put Valvoline Synthetic in our Accord, because I got it on sale at Walmart. I've been using Pennzoil Ultra in the Z, but nobody around here carries it now. I'm going to use Castrol Edge on the next change.

I'm going to start doing the oil changes on the Z myself, so I can save the lightly used synthetic oil to use in the Accord or Silverado. Both are long out of warranty, but very low on mileage.

I'm not concerned about mixing brands as long as they're good stuff.

Last edited by winchman; 04-03-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:05 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ou8thisSN

sorry if this is an ignorant question, I dont know much about oils and engines and I read a few of those threads in here and the content went way over my head.
Yes we do tend to take the most simple subject, motor oil for example, and turn it into an unnecessary chemistry lecture.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:37 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How often to change a particular oil? Only blackstone can tell you that -- everyone else is speculating. Best $30 you ever spent.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:49 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

There is nothing wrong with Valvoline Synthetic. I've been using Valvoline Synthetic since I bought my Stealth in 1992. My Z has had nothing but Valvoline Synthetic since 2003.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:55 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Default Different strokes for different folks

Originally Posted by davidv
Yes we do tend to take the most simple subject, motor oil for example, and turn it into an unnecessary chemistry lecture.
I think that's because this board has a wide range of members:

A) Owners that have the dealership do it all
B) Owners that want the cheapest maintenance option
C) Owners that want to do it themselves
D) Owners that aren't rich, but want the best that they can afford
E) Owners that will spend whatever it takes to get the best performance
F) Owners that will spend any amount of money to have a premium or exclusive brand/name

Where are you, OP?

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 04-03-2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:39 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

G) Owners that don't do proper maintenance nor really think about it much until something breaks LOL
Old 04-03-2011, 03:56 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Default G ftl

Originally Posted by djamps
G) Owners that don't do proper maintenance nor really think about it much until something breaks LOL
hahaha... so true... so true...
Old 04-03-2011, 04:29 PM
ou8thisSN

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
I think that's because this board has a wide range of members:

A) Owners that have the dealership do it all
B) Owners that want the cheapest maintenance option
C) Owners that want to do it themselves
D) Owners that aren't rich, but want the best that they can afford
E) Owners that will spend whatever it takes to get the best performance
F) Owners that will spend any amount of money to have a premium or exclusive brand/name

Where are you, OP?

I'm B, I use this car to get to school and back. I dont race it and have no plans on doing so ever. I drive a 95 nissan maxima before this, and I adore my car. I am learning quite a bit from these forums, but I just dont have the tools/time to tinker with my car to do anything, except keep it running properly. I will do whatever i can to ensure that it runs as well as it is now. I appreciate all the responses here.

This valvoline oil change shop is like 2 miles from my house, and they normally charge $65 to put in a full synthetic during oil changes. I'm just glad some of you use it in your car, that gives me confidence.

might check out that blackstone labs thing in a few months though, get my own report.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:14 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Default Mobile1 yourself - or QuickELube

If it's worth it to you to do it yourself, the Mobil1 0w40 has done well in most of the blackstone tests on our engines. AdvanceAuto/AutoZone usually have a deal on 5qts and a filter for a really good price every other month or so. If you don't mind changing your own oil, that is. This is very good oil for our engines, but still very easy on the wallet.

If you're just looking to keep it running on the cheap with someone else changing it for you, just look for local deals at the quick-e-lube places and have it changed between 3000-5000 miles. As long as you change it on a regular schedule, it isn't going to make a huge difference - probably nothing you will ever be able to tell during the years you have the car before trading to something else.

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 04-03-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:45 PM
ou8thisSN

I would change the oil myself, except i *really* dont want to screw it up, and I know no friends who can help me/ guide me into doing it right. I'm so scared that i'll miss some crucial step and blow the engine. So I'm happy to have it done at a shop.

When I bought the car, I got the oil changed to mobile 1 from a shop that did it for $65, so if thats what you're saying is good for my car, I can go back there.

I was also wondering, should I be doing any other fluid changes? The shop at valvoline suggested I change the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles. The car right now is at 90,000 miles, and I didnt get any service records from the previous owner. I'm a total novice about cars, so to me its 'running just fine', but was that just them trying to do something that's unnecessary or should I actually do this immediately if it hasnt been done already (which I'll never know)?
Old 04-03-2011, 06:46 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Default Basic Maintenance

I would change the oil myself, except i *really* dont want to screw it up, and I know no friends who can help me/ guide me into doing it right. I'm so scared that i'll miss some crucial step and blow the engine. So I'm happy to have it done at a shop.

When I bought the car, I got the oil changed to mobile 1 from a shop that did it for $65, so if thats what you're saying is good for my car, I can go back there.

I was also wondering, should I be doing any other fluid changes? The shop at valvoline suggested I change the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles. The car right now is at 90,000 miles, and I didnt get any service records from the previous owner. I'm a total novice about cars, so to me its 'running just fine', but was that just them trying to do something that's unnecessary or should I actually do this immediately if it hasnt been done already (which I'll never know)?
Check this link to see the maintenance schedule for our cars.

There is a difference between Mobil and Mobil1, so make sure they are giving you Mobil1 (synthetic). Also request 0w40 or 10w40 as the weight. They probably gave you Mobil, which is not synthetic and is less expensive.

As far as the transmission fluid goes, you'll see from the link above that it is only supposed to be inspected every 30k, not changed.

I would read the scheduled maintenance link above and read your owners manual, or they are going to do their best to separate you from as much money as you allow them.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:06 PM
ou8thisSN

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
Check this link to see the maintenance schedule for our cars.

There is a difference between Mobil and Mobil1, so make sure they are giving you Mobil1 (synthetic). Also request 0w40 or 10w40 as the weight. They probably gave you Mobil, which is not synthetic and is less expensive.

As far as the transmission fluid goes, you'll see from the link above that it is only supposed to be inspected every 30k, not changed.

I would read the scheduled maintenance link above and read your owners manual, or they are going to do their best to separate you from as much money as you allow them.
thank you so much for that. I did check the invoice and it says 'mobil one synthetic' so i have to think thats what they put in there. ill bookmark the link for the maintenance schedule. cute baby btw
Old 04-03-2011, 08:13 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

thank you so much for that. I did check the invoice and it says 'mobil one synthetic' so i have to think thats what they put in there. ill bookmark the link for the maintenance schedule. cute baby btw
That's not a bad price for the oil change then. I'd print that maintenance chart off and keep a copy in your glove box. That way, if they tell you something, you can pull it out and check it (or have them show you).

I'm just not trusting of places until they've earned my trust, so forgive me for my pessimistic outlook on most of the Quick-E-Lube places. However, they serve a valuable purpose, and for many, it's cheaper than having the necessary tools, time, and training to complete their own maintenance.

Also, thanks. That's my little girl, Mia. She is my world.