Disappointing Dynojet

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 06:29 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Richard:

1. Yes, SC will get more hp for the $ but unless you got everything right, the risk of engine damage is greater. I am strongly considering going SC but have not done so yet for those reasons. If within a years time, a FI kit does not prove to be reliable to my comfort level, you will see me follow in your footsteps going na.

2. Maybe the 5th gear pull would have got you a better pull? Regardless, you have got a dependable Z with good hp gains.

3. Be proud of yourself, you had the ***** to spend your hard earned money and go for it with NA (while I am not taking any risk at all and being a follower). You are getting good results.

Jeff - zland
Old 12-02-2003, 07:55 PM
ElvishasaZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Richard's Dyno Sheet

Originally posted by GrandmaCR
Richard 350z has authorized me to post his dyno sheet from the Dynojet run today. Here it is.
Looks like the ECU flash only prevents a big drop off from occuring after 6600 ( normal cutoff) but nothing really gained Peak HPwise to 7200RPMs.

Either way the HP number is very good @ 276rwhp just odd that the torque isnt following suit. I also think 5th gear pulls are better ..wonder what R D 's reasoning is for the 4th gear pulls for a manual tranny?
Old 12-02-2003, 08:26 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only way for him to know if his latest round of mods worked is to go back to the Mustage dyno..trying to glean any sort of legitiamte info comparing 2 different types of dynos is as useful as **** on a bull

As for the dynoing method, if you dyno the car in 4th and 5th, you'll be quite surprised at the results...at most a 1-2 hp difference is what I have measured
Old 12-02-2003, 08:46 PM
FLY BY Z

Default Re: Re: Richard's Dyno Sheet

Originally posted by ElvishasaZ
Looks like the ECU flash only prevents a big drop off from occuring after 6600 ( normal cutoff) but nothing really gained Peak HPwise to 7200RPMs.

Either way the HP number is very good @ 276rwhp just odd that the torque isnt following suit.
Because the motor isn't making the torque at the higher RPMs. The HP stays up because of the RPMs. Like an S2000.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:49 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First cardinal rule of dyno tuning: ALWAYS go to the same dyno. EVERY TIME. You have added all these parts to your car and learned nothing about what they did power wise..

Did you guys see the article in Turbo about 6 months ago where they took a stock 350Z to 6 or 7 different dyno's in the same day? They variance was 25+ RWHP among the different dynos.

It doesn't matter which one reads high and low among the different brands. The only thing that matters is if you really gained power from the mods you made.

Get your car back to the place where you pulled 301rwhp and see what you pull now. It makes now difference if your car makes 270rwhp or 301rwhp, its the gains that count.

Find a reliable dyno place (I strongly recommend Darren at R&D) and ALWAYS dyno your car at that same place.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:18 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

350Zteve:

I know what you are saying regarding dynoing the same place but the history of this car/Richard is he got blasted for pulling 301rwhp (as if he did something wrong). A number of guys was screaming foul and it was invalid. Richard followed everyones suggestion and got a 2nd dyno on a diffferent dyno. Now, he probably feels like he is getting eggs in his face for using a 2nd dyno.

Some have asked why he gets so upset at times on this forum. I think no one likes being subjected to flaming so when that occurs, it is natural to expect him to get upset. All dynos are informative even if they might be off. Everyone has to analyze data. I say dont shoot the messenger unless he is shooting at you.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:44 PM
Mr Twisted

Richard I still wished you'd had gone to Power Train you'd at least have a A/F so we could see what the tune at TS was on or not. I'm sure tadashi is right on but he might be able the tweek it a little more if we had a A/F to go by. You still only half the information and still have to go to Power Train.... Listen to me now or pay the pipper later......
Old 12-03-2003, 05:41 AM
Jim Jones
Banned

Richard appreciates all the advice, but can't go to every dyno machine under the sun. While it makes sense to do all dynos on the same machine, the Mustang Dyno that was used at Mossy Nissan in Oceanside is a mobile unit. He has no idea where to find it, although Greg at Mossy might know. Also, Oceanside is 80 - 100 miles from his home and office, which is a long way to go for a dyno.

Agreed that it would be preferable if the chart included an air/fuel ratio. At R&D in Gardena, the Dynojet they use still has "DOS" software that does not give A/F. Their equipment is really old, apparently. That doesn't matter for the hardware, but the PC and the software need to be modernized there. He will ask them why they did not do the pull in 5th.