Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

No more hair to pull out, Throttle response!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 01:19 PM
amr_electron

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
I found the warranty work order from my girlfriend's A4. It said that a cam shaft replacement fixes the loss in power (exactly the same demonstrated in OP's car), and that an actuator in timing assembly was replaced to fix the noise.
When you say that both the Audi & Mazda cars had the same issue do you mean that they could also accelerated well from a dead stop ?

Btw, where do you live? If you're near the New York area, we have a shop that will be able to help. I can show them your video too.
How i wish , Actually i'm not in the US.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:20 PM
amr_electron

Originally Posted by winchman
So, how do you explain the fact that the engine runs well immediately after the car is brought to a stop, but only until the first time the throttle is released. Also, why would the engine run well when the cruise control buttons are used to accelerate the car.
I feel all the power is there when i accelerate from a dead stop ( even without switching the car off). But once i try to re-accelerate while driving, My God, A 61 hp Smart car will beat the hell out of my car .

If it's something with the engine, I don't think it would magically cure itself like that, and then go bad when you use the throttle pedal after it's been released one time.
X1000000.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:42 PM
SniperHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amr_electron
When you say that both the Audi & Mazda cars had the same issue do you mean that they could also accelerated well from a dead stop ?
The Mazda accelerated fine from a stop, but refused to accelerate like yours for about 3 seconds and then it'd move. It'd down shift and everything, but just hold the rev for a few seconds...and then it went.

My girlfriend's A4 on the other hand was doing PRECISELY what your car is doing. Drove fine. Had power. Idled fine. Redlined off the line. But if you shifted its gears a few times up and down, up and down, and then tried to peg it...it acted exactly as your car does, absolutely identical. I witnessed it myself numerous times.

The cam shaft turned out to be culprit, and as a result was screwing with the car's timing. The cam follower ended up damaging the cam shaft a bit, and that caused problems with the tension of the timing chain. So it was a domino effect of those three things.

The cam work performed to the car completely fixed the acceleration issues. But eventually the tension started causing noise months later, and fixing that got rid of the noise, which your car is not exhibiting. I do believe accessing the cams is a relatively easy process on our cars. And I firmly believe you should start there.

I will show this video to Performance Motorsport when I go there next weekend to get the alignment done with my new springs.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:49 PM
SniperHunter

So, how do you explain the fact that the engine runs well immediately after the car is brought to a stop, but only until the first time the throttle is released. Also, why would the engine run well when the cruise control buttons are used to accelerate the car.

If it's something with the engine, I don't think it would magically cure itself like that, and then go bad when you use the throttle pedal after it's been released one time.
I don't think you quite understand how cams operate exactly. Revving a car in neutral with no load on the drivetrain has virtually no affect on the operation of the cams. Likewise, puttering around and accelerating like a turtle using the cruise control puts very little strain on them, as well. The amount of air they're taking in is very little.

On the other hand, flooring it or desiring speedy acceleration is triggering a timing malfunction because now you're making use of the car's variable timing, which again, directly relates to the operation of the cam. Basically, the volume of air taken in is tremendous no matter the operating speed of the vehicle and is instantly accessible for combustion. The variable aspect comes into play on how the car creates the combustion process, and at what rate. That rate is variable and dependent on throttle for much more instantaneous response and more mid-range power. Where as in the past the valves operated one after the other, (valve opens > air goes in > combusts > exhaust valve opens > exhausts) with modern day motors that have variable cam/valve timing, the valves can actually operate in multiple stages: simultaneously, sequentially, or staggered with a variable rate of operation. With variable timing, there is always air in the intake manifold just waiting for valve actuation to let it in for combustion. Without variable timing, the amount of air in the manifold is significantly less, which requires additional throttle input (wasting gas) and laggy response overall because the valves are operating inefficiently.

So basically, if the intake valves aren't operating like they should under full throttle, the car won't go anywhere. And there are a variety of factors that can cause such an issue. One being something simple like the follower. The worst being the intake cam shaft assembly.

Like I said, my girlfriend's car had the very same issue. It was perfectly drivable, but randomly wouldn't go anywhere when floored.

Last edited by SniperHunter; 07-03-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:13 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From OP's post #1 on page 1:

"The funny thing is, Car runs great using the cruise control switches on the steering wheel, I can rev to redline using the ACCEL/RES switch if i want."

That doesn't sound like he's puttering around.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:32 PM
SniperHunter

Err...he can slowly reach redline using cruise control. Big deal? That is precisely what puttering is, hell I even added to that by saying accelerating like a turtle has little effect to trigger this. Do you know how long and slow of a process it is to use cruise control to redline? Accelerating that slow isn't going to trigger the problem. You don't seem to understand what I'm saying.

That Accel/Res switch isn't replicating wide open throttle. It is merely a way to slowly increase speed. Once again, something I defined as accelerating like a turtle.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:53 AM
winchman

So, we have a question for the OP. How fast does the engine accelerate when you use the CC buttons? WOT? Slowly? Something in between?

I rarely use CC, and I've never used the CC buttons to make anything other than minor speed adjustments with quick taps on the buttons. I have no idea what happens when you just hold the ACCEL/RES button down.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:00 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

CC accel/decel doesn't go anywhere near WOT...it pushes the throttle 30% at best...
Old 07-04-2011, 07:22 AM
winchman

Wouldn't the transmission shift into a higher gear long before the engine gets to redline if the engine was at a low throttle opening?

I'm anxious to hear from the OP about this?
Old 07-04-2011, 08:23 AM
amr_electron

So, we have a question for the OP. How fast does the engine accelerate when you use the CC buttons? WOT? Slowly?
The engine accelerates as it should using the cruise control, I mean, You will feel the power as the RPM is climbing with every button push. If you look at the video, For some reason the RPM is not able to go more than the 3K point, But it easily goes beyond it when using the cruise control, No restriction at all 3K, 4K & it's still climbing ....

I have no idea what happens when you just hold the ACCEL/RES button down.
The car will continue accelerating, I mean it's not downshifting & building momentum to go wot, It's not like mashing the gas pedal of course .

Originally Posted by djamps
CC accel/decel doesn't go anywhere near WOT...it pushes the throttle 30% at best...
From the FSM,

Automatic Speed Control Device (ASCD) allows a driver to keep vehicle at predetermined constant speed
without depressing accelerator pedal. Driver can set vehicle speed in advance between approximately 40 km/
h (25 MPH) and 144 km/h (89 MPH).
ECM controls throttle angle of electric
Wouldn't the transmission shift into a higher gear long before the engine gets to redline if the engine was at a low throttle opening?

I'm anxious to hear from the OP about this?
I'm pretty sure that it will shift to a higher gear when accelerating with the Cruise switch ( if this is what you mean ).
Old 07-04-2011, 08:14 PM
SniperHunter

Once again...cam assembly, inspect it. I wrote all that and you're fixated on the cruise control. Using cruise control will almost never trigger a timing issue. I'm trying to help you understand that.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:02 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe you need to do a throttle relearn? Tried it yet?
Old 07-05-2011, 05:13 AM
350ztttt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Listen to Arnold, at least have nissan check it out for free because of the whole ecu thing they put you through.

op, did you get your money back from that yet?
Old 07-05-2011, 09:27 AM
amr_electron

Once again...cam assembly, inspect it. I wrote all that and you're fixated on the cruise control. Using cruise control will almost never trigger a timing issue. I'm trying to help you understand that.
Looks like my last resort before parting her out .

Originally Posted by djamps
Maybe you need to do a throttle relearn? Tried it yet?
It was done more than once ( Pedal method ), And by the dealer also.

Originally Posted by 350ztttt
Listen to Arnold, at least have nissan check it out for free because of the whole ecu thing they put you through.

op, did you get your money back from that yet?
No refund man .
Old 07-05-2011, 04:38 PM
SniperHunter

Have them inspect the camshaft. The follower. The valves. And the variable valve system as a whole.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:34 AM
Fixxxercask

Just read through this whole thing. I am really interested to see what is causing this. Sub'd!

I was going to put in my 2 cents, but you guys covered a lot of possibilities.

I am leaning towards what Arnold is saying. I understand the difference between running it to redline with the CC controls and the the throttle. Big difference in throttle position and air coming into the engine.

One thing though; how can you get it to redline with CC? I know in my DD car (it's a manual transmission), I can put it in neutral on the interstate and set CC and it will go to redline very slowly and then just bounce off rev limiter. How is this done on a car with a auto tranny?
Old 07-08-2011, 06:28 AM
winchman

The clutch switch is supposed to cancel the CC when you depress the clutch, so how do you get it into neutral?

I don't understand how the OP is getting the engine to go to redline, either. I've driven cars that would downshift in CC going up a steep hill, but they would upshift long before the engine got to redline when the road flattened out a little.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:59 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The clutch switch is supposed to cancel the CC when you depress the clutch, so how do you get it into neutral?
With a sloppy trans that pops out of gear or he is simply pushing the car out of gear (no clutch & and killing the syncros).

But I can't see this problem occuring with a camshaft or timing issue, unless the OP is describing it incorrectly. What my money is on, is some type sensor issue. But the symptoms seem a little odd.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Fixxxercask

You're correct. It does cancel it. I was just goofing off one day and tried to set the CC once I was in neutral coasting between 60-65 on the interstate and it worked....lol The tach just slowly went all the way to redline.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:55 AM
winchman

OK, time for an update from OP. Did you ever get this resolved?

Quick Reply: No more hair to pull out, Throttle response!!