Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Turbos, am i right or wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 06:34 PM
AParshall04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbos, am i right or wrong?

I see everyone is ordering the twin turbo kits for their cars. I was talking to my friend yesterday and he was going off about cars and stuff and i was telling him about how the twin turbo kits are just starting to be released widespread for the guys wanting them. He's big into import cars and told me not to twin turbo my car, and after thinking about it, i thought it made sense too. Wouldn't it make more sense to get a single turbo? Supposedly from what i've heard a single turbo has less spool up and is faster for off the line acceleration, while a TT is created for top speed. I'm sure there's a lot of guys on the site that are practically experts when it comes to FI, so a little information would be helpful.

Thanks,
ALex
Old 12-11-2003, 06:36 PM
AParshall04

forgot to add, thats assuming i dont want to drive 160+ mph
Old 12-11-2003, 06:43 PM
Fanman

No I would figure it's the other way around. Usually in TT setups it is 2 small turbos feeding power intot he car vs. 1 big turbo. In that case you get faster spool up, and less lag. In most of the Supra setups that produce BIG hp that is the way it happens. Some other methods include two turbos, with a small one for the initial launch, then a bigger one for high end hp.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:58 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is twin turbo and bi-turbo. twin turbo is 2 turbos one smaller than the other and it spools up first to do low end with less lag, then the other comes in for high end with more capacity.

1 big one is more efficient for high end, but poor response.

bi-turbo is 2 equal each feeding on half the exhaust. both run at all times; I dont think this setup is ever used in aftermarket; only OEM in saabs and the like I think.

feel free to correct whatever or all of it if its wrong.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:05 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the exhaust routing for single turbo would be very complicated as the twins are already a tight fit.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:05 PM
bk_r0x

AParshall, more pics of avatar plx.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:17 PM
FLY BY Z

Bi turbo is a term popularized by Europeans that means twin turbo. Either one can have same sized turbos or different sizes.

A single turbo will have more lag but is better for drag racing since it hits harder. Most twin turbo setups are smoother getting into boost and are smaller turbos and have less lag as a result.

I think.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:23 PM
AxionF117

Singles do not have poor response at all. A realitively small single will infact have better spool up then twins. A twin setup is easier for this car considering the tight engine bay and V6 design. However on an I6 singles are infact better, they will have considerably less lag then a twins setup.

Last edited by AxionF117; 12-11-2003 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:26 PM
AxionF117

that is wrong no one produces a car with a small turbo and a larger turbo, it would be extremely inefficent. You are thinking of sequential turbo's, in which one turbo is always spooled at low rpms and the other kicks in at higher rpms. Squential turbo's can also be run in TTC, this will allow you to have both turbo's spool at the same time, but it will create more lag. But sequential turbos are the same size.

Originally posted by ares
there is twin turbo and bi-turbo. twin turbo is 2 turbos one smaller than the other and it spools up first to do low end with less lag, then the other comes in for high end with more capacity.

Last edited by AxionF117; 12-11-2003 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:32 PM
AxionF117

not one supra will have a small turbo and a large turbo twins setup, that is completely wrong.
The fastest and highest horsepower supras are infact single turbo supras not twins. Why? Because twins are lagger then singles. You can replace the stock twins with a small aftermarket single and have better spool up then stock twins and make more horsepower. A perfect example is a T61 and the new SP57GT turbos

Having 2 turbos compared to 1 does not mean you'll be faster, thats a common misconception.

Originally posted by Fanman
No I would figure it's the other way around. Usually in TT setups it is 2 small turbos feeding power intot he car vs. 1 big turbo. In that case you get faster spool up, and less lag. In most of the Supra setups that produce BIG hp that is the way it happens. Some other methods include two turbos, with a small one for the initial launch, then a bigger one for high end hp.

Last edited by AxionF117; 12-11-2003 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:05 PM
AParshall04

Axion, this is exactly what my friend was saying. He was saying that a single is better, and instead of explaining all the exact specifics, he just used the supra example saying why would people spend money to remove a twin turbo to replace with a single if it wasn't better.

bk_rox whats the html for adding pictures, or is there an option on here that im not seeing to add pics?
Old 12-11-2003, 11:24 PM
AxionF117

^the twins on a supra can only be boosted so high. You can boost much higher on a single turbo assuming you have the octane to support it
Old 12-11-2003, 11:28 PM
AParshall04

Default avatar girl

heh bk, mike may move these pics to off topic or something, but here ya go bud.

Go to the Alli section (i have a few more pics i chose not to post on there, for her privacy) and check out natalie too, shes so bangin.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:29 PM
AParshall04

Default Pics

My pics
Old 12-12-2003, 12:28 AM
ZSPEED83

Originally posted by ares

1 big one is more efficient for high end, but poor response.

bi-turbo is 2 equal each feeding on half the exhaust. both run at all times; I dont think this setup is ever used in aftermarket; only OEM in saabs and the like I think.

feel free to correct whatever or all of it if its wrong.

i totally disagree with you
Old 12-12-2003, 07:31 AM
t32gzz

The problem with the single turbo set up in a Z is rrom. I promise you if you find the room without major cutting in the engine bay, then there would be some interest. At this point at least one company has abandoned the idea of a single turbo set up for room.

This means, at least at this point, it is a custom only job.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:49 AM
AxionF117

you can get a single on a 350z, however the piping is extremely complicated, a twin setup on a Z is obviously the better option

http://speedhawaii.com/sp.cgi?t=main...tion350z.htm#1

This 350z was build for top speed, but was just recently totalled
Old 12-12-2003, 09:28 AM
twenzel

I like that setup with the turbo centered behind the engine. That way the header tube lengths are the same for each side of the engine. And they completley redesigned the whole intake manifold and plenumn. Someone should create a more streetable tubo kit designed after the Option Stream Z.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:49 AM
Phatmitzu

A large single turbo (Greddy T-78, T-88) will take longer to spool up to make maximum power. A smaller single turbo wont get the power you needed. The pros of going twin is to have 2 mid size turbo to help eliminate excessive turbo lag. Dont let me wrong, twin turbos will have turbo lags also, but its much less than singles. Personally, I will go twin for daliy driving. Single for drag.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:31 PM
AxionF117

dude thats completely wrong, a T61 (.58a/r) will infact out spool 2 medium twins (aka the tiny turbo's on a supra) and can support over 500rwhp. The lag on a T61 is so minimal. A twin setup is easier for the Z, but twins do lag more, period. But if your boosting at 5psi on a Z anyway does it really matter?

If a single was laggy why would you want it for drag racing? Do you see how that doesn't make any sense now? An aftermarket single is much more streetable then an aftermarket upgraded twins kit.

Last edited by AxionF117; 12-12-2003 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Turbos, am i right or wrong?