Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

What is normal clutch travel distance???

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 04:03 PM
TYBOY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is normal clutch travel distance???

Hi all,

New member and first post. I am working on my dads 2005 350z. He just aquired this vehicle and its a six-speed. I have done some research on here and seen alot of the clutch issues that seem common. This car's clutch engages fine, but is real jerky when you let off. I am not used to the 350z clutches and it has almost no travel whatsoever. Is that normal for these vehicles. This clutch was replaced 3 years ago and I'm wondering if this is just an adjusment thing. It does make some pretty good pilot bearing noise also. I would like some advice from you guys that know these cars before I start troubleshooting.

Thanks

You gotta love these kinda forums.

TYBOY
Old 10-14-2011, 04:59 PM
tomasito

I had my 350Z for almost 2 months now, I am having the same problem.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:22 AM
tsanhd

I also have this problem adjusting to the 350z clutch
Old 10-15-2011, 09:42 AM
TYBOY

Drove it around today quite a bit. The throw-out bearing is definately bad. While im in there I will look at the clutch as well. These cars are really a blast to drive. This one is pretty nice having that small clutch travel going thru the gears. That chattering and jerking while taking off in first is embarrassing though. Been driving standards my whole life and man that sucks. My plans are as follows.

1. replace T/O bearing
2. inspect other components while in there.
3. Bleed and adjust clutch.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:39 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like you may have a 6 puck (or aftermarket of some kind) bad driving clutch in it. If it is jerking and chattering on take off, and you don't like it, might want to add a clutch kit to your list.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:10 PM
TYBOY

Originally Posted by CuztompartZ
Sounds like you may have a 6 puck (or aftermarket of some kind) bad driving clutch in it. If it is jerking and chattering on take off, and you don't like it, might want to add a clutch kit to your list.
Thanks for the reply. I will check out the clutch while in there. If it is aftermarket and looks like it has some life in it, a decision will have to be made. Is it true that the stock flywheel wont work with some aftermarket clutches??

Thanks

TYBOY
Old 10-17-2011, 04:53 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Stock flywheel will work with almost all aftermarket clutches. Problem is, they wear out about as fast as a clutch kit. They are 2 piece and sprung like a clutch disk and they do wear out. Then you either buy a new OEM fly for close to $1,000 or just go with an aftermarket 1 piece for less than half that.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:19 PM
TYBOY

Originally Posted by CuztompartZ
Stock flywheel will work with almost all aftermarket clutches. Problem is, they wear out about as fast as a clutch kit. They are 2 piece and sprung like a clutch disk and they do wear out. Then you either buy a new OEM fly for close to $1,000 or just go with an aftermarket 1 piece for less than half that.
Thanks again for reply,

The old man looked through the receipts he had that came with the car and it is indeed a 6 puck Action heavy duty clutch and press plate (replaced in 08'). Can I make this thing more street friendly for him. I hate to replace a decent clutch if it is not needed. What is a good street friendly clutch that will hold up better than stock. I really am not sure which direction to go now. From threads I've read the noise Im thinking is the T/O bearing may be normal and even in the transmission. I hate to pull that thing without need.

The previous owner was charged about $ 500 for the clutch package. I would assume that it still has stock flywheel. Guess that could be contributing.

Goal is just to make this thing drive easy and nice for the old man.

TYBOY

Last edited by TYBOY; 10-18-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:22 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Nothing you can do besides change the clutch to a full face design, Ceramic 6 pucks just don't drive well on the street and are meant for racing.

We have plenty of options for a performance street kit that will hold up very well starting at $400.00
Old 10-23-2011, 02:04 PM
TYBOY

Default Problem solved

Problem solved.

see below

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...h-pedal-3.html