Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

03 100k mile 350z dyno

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 04:54 PM
SLIdEwAyZ25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 100k mile 350z dyno

i've always wanted to get my car dynoed and a local shop was having a dyno day "so i said sure why not?"

my car has jwt pop charger, evo-r carbon intake (i sanded the inside smooth on the seam) kenetix velocity plenum (new version) berk hfc's and a hks exhaust with the midpipe mufflers removed (that was unfortunitly partally crushed a week before the dyno when my car decided to eat part of a parking garage and bend some diamond plate into my exhaust)

now according to half the people on this websight my car should be slow as **** blah blah kenetix sucks hfc's are for ****** test pipes make more power.

well usally from what ive seen test pipes and all those plenum spacers don't make any (some loose) power unless you get a tune and from the get go i never wanted to waist that kind of money for a couple more hp when i could spend the money on a sr 240sx and make the same power with a boost controller as my z does with almost full bolt ons.
I also do realize if i went that route spacer, test pipes i could have put the saved money to a tune and came out about equal. but then i have the same 350z half the planet does and its hard to lead when you follow.

i also know not every dyno reads the same having a diffrent gear ratio will make a dyno jet think your car has more hp and on a mustang dyno the operator can put in whatever varriables he wants in the weight catagory to make your car appear to have more hp.

That being said heres a video my buddy made of what went down at the dyno day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q9sB...&feature=feedf

Pull 1: 249WHP/237TQ
Pull 2: 236WHP/236TQ (idk why but this pull they didn't rev the car out all the way)
Pull 3: 254WHP/234TQ

btw i know my wheels arnt the best looking ones out there but i personally enjoy them for a wheel thats was under 2400 with tires there not to bad.

questions, comments, concerns, discusion is fun

I know my typing sucks

Last edited by SLIdEwAyZ25; 11-16-2011 at 06:32 AM. Reason: adding numbers
Old 11-15-2011, 05:56 PM
abushong504

Ah, that hurt to read. So were you happy with the results or what?

They seem about right. That rasp would kill me though. Anyways, nice job?
Old 11-15-2011, 06:02 PM
hellman_x

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So why no tune?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:18 PM
holycrap

Originally Posted by abushong504
Ah, that hurt to read. So were you happy with the results or what?

They seem about right. That rasp would kill me though. Anyways, nice job?
+1?
Old 11-15-2011, 08:33 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

With care and routine maintenance the Z will run well 100,000 miles plus. Good show.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Shizzmaster2k

The wheels are fine but you need an OEM brembo or BBK to really make them sparkle.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Shizzmaster2k

....and a lip kit.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I really wish you would have posted the numbers to save me from having to watch that video.

240ish whp is what it looked like.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:56 AM
SLIdEwAyZ25

Honestly i was really happy with the results i mean with how hard i beat on my car i figured it wouldnt be running as good as it is especially with how bent my exhaust is, heck i would have been happy with 240hp.
The bend added alot of rasp to the exhaust but in the cabin it sounds compleatly diffrent.

and i would like to have a bbk but there's no point to it because i never plan on actually road coarsing my car espeicially with these wheels and the stock nissan brakes can stop just as fast as the brembo's and the stop tech brakes for one stop which is all that really matters to me.
So ill just get some bbk caliper covers.......... i heard they were really awsome and noooo one notices their fake

and i know i need a front lip i usally rock my TS rep rear diffuser but i don't let anyone drive it with that on so it comes off for dyno days and alignments. Also theres a drift event coming up and the jack won't fit under the diff with it on so i'm just going to leave it off till i'm done with that event.

the reason i am not tuning my car is because it runs perfect it makes pretty good power and it's what around $300 used - $1000 for any kind of tuning software and then you have to get someone to tune it (even though i would try to do it myself) and i already have a innovate wideband so that doesnt really add to the cost. I plan on using the money that would go to a tune and put it into a 240sx shell soon and sr swaping it so i can have something to drift that i don't have to worry about messing up.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:20 AM
abushong504

Numbers are just numbers. Don't forget, you were on a dynojet :P

A bend in the exhaust wouldn't really do anything in terms of making you lose power. You're not making enough power for it to be effected.

Also, who ever said that to get a BBK, you had to had have the NEED to get one?

Last edited by abushong504; 11-16-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Czarrr

Numbers look about right with bolt ons.
(From what i've seen with other threads)
I have pretty much the same mods, I would hope my numbers are similar to yours.
I guess we'll never know until I get on the dyno
Old 11-17-2011, 07:54 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought I heard a few ticks of detonation, and I wasn't crazy about all the smoke you got near redline. The 14.5AFR may support that. I'd get a set stethoscope and take a listen on the dyno again if you can.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Itzcashew

I'd be worried about the smoke coming out at redline. Looks like it's blueish smoke, burning oil?
Old 11-17-2011, 10:01 AM
SLIdEwAyZ25

in real life the smoke was black i have video's of it doing it on the street being black as well it's just the way there was an open window and light was refecting off of it the camera made it look white or blueish.

but at what point in the video did you hear the ticks?

and i read somewere a while back but i haven't looked for it again that said something about AF ratio's being leaner by around .5 after the cats? i have an innovate wideband on the passenger bank (which runs a lil richer correct?) it's pre cats and reads from 13.5 around 3k rpm and steadily drops to 12.3 to 12.8 around redline,
Old 11-17-2011, 10:05 AM
SLIdEwAyZ25

Originally Posted by abushong504
Numbers are just numbers. Don't forget, you were on a dynojet :P

A bend in the exhaust wouldn't really do anything in terms of making you lose power. You're not making enough power for it to be effected.

Also, who ever said that to get a BBK, you had to had have the NEED to get one?
if i had more then a grand to spend on something i don't need i would probably sell these wheels and combine the grand and the price of the wheels i sold and put it twards a legit set of wheels
Old 11-20-2011, 09:58 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Running very lean at WOT, and yes that was detonation/pinging you heard also evident in the dynograph. The operator probably didn't run it to redline on the last run because of the pinging.

It looks very much like oil burning near redline. You aren't running nearly rich enough to see fuel.

Last edited by djamps; 11-20-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:48 AM
SLIdEwAyZ25

Originally Posted by djamps
Running very lean at WOT, and yes that was detonation/pinging you heard also evident in the dynograph. The operator probably didn't run it to redline on the last run because of the pinging.

It looks very much like oil burning near redline. You aren't running nearly rich enough to see fuel.
Wouldn't the fact that my car has cats make it apear to be leaner?
My innovate wide band on the passenger bank which has been free air calibrated multiple times to insure accuracy reads a steady drop from 13.3 at 3k rpm's to 12.4-12.8 at Max rpm. This sensor is pre cat and therefore give alot more realistic AFR.
Also I'm pretty sure the flex joints on my exhaust might be leaking as their pretty beat up.

And last the smoke is not blue or whitish blue or any color besides black.
I have confermed multiple times it is black as can be. The only reason it appears white is the way the camera focuses on it being as there is the only window in the whole place right behinds he exhaust which causes it to look blue even when in real life it wasn't.

Where exactly did your hear these pings in the video?