Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Review of RJM adjustable clutch pedal bracket

Old 03-12-2012, 07:05 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I did a little testing on my JWT clutch (stock bracket) to see where the engagement point started. Turns out it actually 'starts' barely engaging around 2" from the floor and 'finishes' with a hard grab a couple inches from the top. I can't enter 1st or reverse smoothly without the pedal pretty much on the floor. So it would seem even with the stock bracket it's using almost the entire travel even though it doesn't seriously grab until nearing the top.

This is one of the things that always pissed me off about my G35 clutch's... even though it doesn't grab hard until near the top, you still have to nail it all the way to the floor on upshifts...boo

So my question is, will this bracket cause my clutch to not fully disengage since it's already pretty close? From my basic understanding it would seem that in order to get a longer engagement point with similar pedal traval, you would have to shorten the actual clutch 'throw'??

Last edited by djamps; 03-12-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:25 AM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

djamps,

Did you install an SS clutch line with the JWT clutch?
I'm almost 99% certain from your description you have air in the clutch lines which is eating up your slave cylinder/TOB travel. With the stock pedal it should have immediate strong clutch pressure right at the top and the friction point should be 3+ inches off the floor unless you've done other mods.

Before doing anything else I'd have a look at the youtube link that was posted around page 2 for a surefire method to get 100% of the air out.

If not air then next I'd say your mastercylinder could be on it's way out as your decription is not normal at all.

Final possability is the wrong height (shorter) TOB was installed during the clutch install and the extra distance it has to move forward before making contact with the diaphram is eating up your available clutch travel.

I'd start with a solid bleeding and go from there.
Yes 100% installing the RJM brackets will reduce the stroke of the master cylinder which in your case would make things worse right now.

Last edited by RJM Performance; 03-12-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:29 AM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
One of the best mods for the Z/G... stock or modified this is something that you need to pick up. I'm now running an ACT HDSS and ACT Street light flywheel... the addition of this bracket makes the clutch sooooooo much easier to manage. Great work Ryan!
Flo-ridaZ33 You're welcome. Happy to hear your enjoying the new clutch bracket system
Old 03-12-2012, 11:08 AM
TheShaddix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed this in my car. First thing - wow! I was blown away with how smooth it felt when I depressed the clutch pedal. It's buttery smooth, not notchy and clunky like the stock one. Much easier to operate w/ no effort at all (all adjustable). Running this with an OS Giken twin disc - never thought I could ever like this clutch for daily, wasn't enjoying it at all since I got it, but with the RJM mod it's much more predictable and easy to find the engagement point so every shift can be as smooth as you want it vs. stock where it would bite suddenly and annoy the crap out of you every time you go into first/second gears or try to downshift. This mod gives you way more feel overall. The installation was a bit confusing at first due to so many pages and trying to read it on my phone, but it's actually very easy, and adjusting it is simple too. For anyone with aftermarket clutches - this is the mod to get.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:37 AM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thumbs up

TheShaddix, Thanks for the review and I'm happy to hear your enjoying your OSG more after my mod
Old 03-14-2012, 07:29 PM
djamps

OK guys I got it installed tonight and it went very smoothly. I had a friend of mine who is a nissan master mechanic coach and help me out...thankfully because the instructions wouldn't load up (website issues??) consistently and we could only see the first half of the manual. He was able to figure it all out on his own anyways...which says a lot for the kit. The instructions were actually too detailed and lengthy for him, he's like all I need is a cliff notes version LOL.

The mechanic was VERY impressed by the quality and adjustability of the whole kit. Big huge kudos to the designer.

I started with it around 75% and we adjusted things so engagement began about 3" from the floor.

Clutch pedal has a WAY smoother motion, quieter, and engagement is very much different.

I'll post up my overall review once I get more seat time and tuning done! So far so good!

Last edited by djamps; 03-14-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:37 AM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thumbs up

djamps, Thank you.
I'm very happy to hear the install went smoothly even with the website issue. I just opened up the site here at work 30seconds ago and everything is working as it should right now...I'm not sure why you had trouble viewing it during your install. I also sent a full copy of the Rev 2 installation guide with your tracking number email, did you receive it?

Congrats on a successful install. Looking forward to reading your review after getting more seat time with the mod

Last edited by RJM Performance; 03-15-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:18 PM
djamps

Had some seat time and there were issues (kind of expected) given my previous engagement issues. On a cold morning it was clunking into gear and not fully disengaging. When warmed up everything was fine, but the engagement points had moved significantly.

We tried bleeding it using the youtube vid method but couldn't get the fluid to flow up to the reservoir. I don't think the Auto Zone oil pump can had enough pumping strength to do anything useful like in the vid.

So we started over bleeding it using the standard factory method (what a PITA), made some minor adjustments to the clevis pin and stopping points and it feels much much better than before, and no more clunking into gear.

Assuming things stay the way they are now I think we have a winner! More impressions to come later this week after I drive it around and play with the adjustments!
Old 03-17-2012, 07:24 PM
djamps

By the way the issues loading the manual were verified on several PC's and internet connections (at that time), I'm sure it's cleared up by now. There was a 'Gateway timed out' that would pop up instead of the manual. It looks like the manual is acually being served by a 3rd party (Scribd) which was the source of the timeout errors, not your actual website itself.

I would recommend converting it to a flat, long HTML page without pagination so it can be loaded up all at once. Heck even a PDF file link that can be downloaded all at once. The 'Scribd' thing is kind of a PITA.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:11 AM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Djamps, OK that would make sense then if Scribed was actually down at the time and couldn't pull the document. Unfortunately I used Scribed due to limitations of my web hosting server that wouldn't allow direct downloading of files.
However I'm already attaching and emailing a full PDF copy of the installation guide with the order acknowledgement and tracking number for every order so you should have already had the full PDF document right in your email? Did it get caught in a spam filter etc? Goes to the email address used for Paypal.

I will look into scrapping the Scribed and loading the document as a long html page like you've suggested. It'll take some time to get it all transfered over and refomated into an html page though.

Glad to hear your getting everything sorted out and its feeling better now.
Yes I've noticed the cold thing on my own vehical as well. If it feels notchy on a cold startup after sitting overnight then typically an extra 1/2 to 1 turn out of the clutch rod will make it go away completely.

Last edited by RJM Performance; 03-18-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:09 PM
A-Town-Z

Placed my order on the 16th! Anxiously awaiting its arrival..
Old 04-17-2012, 02:55 PM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

Exclamation RJM adjustable clutch pedal bracket

Ive had this bracket installed for months and I have to admit...its night and day.

I really cant describe it.. Its so much smoother.. When drifting, clutch kicking "felt" better..

Best part is - its adjustable - if you dont like it - tweak it.

I also have the JWT and SS line, so it may be different with stock setup.

Installation was tedious but nothing a friend of mine and some beer couldnt handle. Everyone Ive installed this for is very happy with the product.

After install - went on a mini drift session.. I was grinning ear to ear..

Props to RJM for making a baller/solid/fully adjustable bracket to replace the OEM one.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:08 PM
PracticeDrifter

AcidJake75,

Do you think the SS line made a big difference?

I was thinking of installing my bracket and a stainless line at the same time.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:16 AM
djamps

My bracket is still working great. I think I still need to adjust it some (still at the default 75%) but it is definately night and day. Drove a couple G's last weekend with stock pedals and it was a WTF moment. The RJM feels SO much more refined. I recommended the RJM to both of the owners
Old 05-02-2012, 01:41 PM
SAMzG35

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bought my bracket over two months ago and didnt get the chance to install it till the past weekend, biggest mistake was not installing it the day i received it. This bracket made the car feel like a brand new car, clutch is just perfect in everyway whether its the feel of the pedal, travel distance or engagement/disengagement point. This is the way Infiniti should have made it from the factory.

So far this has to be the best $150 bucks i spent on the G.

Ryan, Thank you so much for such an awesome, clean straight forward instructions.

Ryan was also great at getting back to me ASAP! Definitely will do business again.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:16 PM
faiz23
FEZZZZZZ

I worked with acid jake to install the pedal in his track vehicle for testing. I keep hearing every day on all g35/350z forums about members having issues with properly launching the vehicle not just for track but daily as well. The small investment you are making in the vehicle by purchasing this bracket will pay off by not ruining your clutch that you spent THOUSANDS on or will have to spend THOUSANDS on from constantly feathering or stalling out. Get this bracket and be prepared to rediscover driving the G35/350z. The build quality is solid...like WTF do you expect out of solid laser cut versus OEM TIN CAN POS. This is what you need if you plan to keep driving the vehicle otherwise trade it in for an auto and i hear the valve body upgrade is pretty bad a**.

RJM A.F.P Clutch Bracket G35/350z...56k run-away
Old 05-02-2012, 07:20 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

i havent driven my car in a year, or any stick for that matter.. i almost wish i could wait to install the rjm bracket after the builds done just so i can directly compare it haha.

oh well.. guess ill just have to "suffer" and have it done at the same time.

Ryan, you WIN dude.. i dont think there has EVER been a thread so positive about a product for frikin ANY car.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:39 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This looks bizarrely interesting, i now have to check my clutch, i don't seem to have any of the problems you guys describe with the stock clutch.

Genuinely curious about this.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:28 AM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by faiz23
I worked with acid jake to install the pedal in his track vehicle for testing. I keep hearing every day on all g35/350z forums about members having issues with properly launching the vehicle not just for track but daily as well. The small investment you are making in the vehicle by purchasing this bracket will pay off by not ruining your clutch that you spent THOUSANDS on or will have to spend THOUSANDS on from constantly feathering or stalling out. Get this bracket and be prepared to rediscover driving the G35/350z. The build quality is solid...like WTF do you expect out of solid laser cut versus OEM TIN CAN POS. This is what you need if you plan to keep driving the vehicle otherwise trade it in for an auto and i hear the valve body upgrade is pretty bad a**.

Valve body upgrade? Details?
Old 05-03-2012, 06:27 AM
faiz23
FEZZZZZZ

Originally Posted by faiz23
This is what you need if you plan to keep driving the vehicle otherwise trade it in for an auto and i hear the valve body upgrade is pretty bad a**.

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Valve body upgrade? Details?
For 5AT vehicles ONLY.

RJM PEDAL for 6mt only

http://g35driver.com/forums/engine-d...y-upgrade.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGsVV5WVgEY

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Review of RJM adjustable clutch pedal bracket