Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

350z Base Cruise Control??

Old 12-16-2013, 09:22 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,578 Likes on 2,037 Posts

I have no clue what/how he proposed to do it. I had a license, had a tune etc. He changed my rom until he found one that gave me cruise (file name noted somewhere in the thread(s)

I later asked him if he could do it for people not wanting UPRV he said yes, I referred the people that asked to him & have no clue what happened thereafter.

Last edited by e30cabrio; 12-16-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Chromatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
I have no clue what/how he proposed to do it. I had a license, had a tune etc. He changed my rom until he found one that gave me cruise (file name noted somewhere in the thread(s)

I later asked him if he could do it for people not wanting UPRV he said yes, I referred the people that asked to him & have no clue what happened thereafter.
This is low on my priority right now.

Just got her cleaned up with hand wash, proper clay bar (ing), Rotary polish with XMT #3,.. then Rotary polish with XMT Polish #1,.. then final Wax with NXT 2.0 -- Paint is baby butt smooth now,.. and happy again. (yes, the car drives even better after you put in 8 hours of detail work )

Next priority is the tires and feathering/road noise at low speeds..

But somewhere down the line,.. I'd like to have cruise -- which will be the switches,.. the steering wheel pieces to engage.. and this part.. which is the most expensive and ironically the quickest to do (I am a Network Engineer).. so I know computers, and flashing is a 30 seconds to X minutes process --

I'm SURE some people who are a little, well let's say different,.. can flash these computers without paying a dime. A .ROM file is a read only memory file.. there isn't anything special about it frankly.. You replace your current ROM file (sort of like the Car's BIOS) with the Touring, Enthusiast, etc ROM and it's done. Unplug it,.. and you are gtg.

Now, finding someone who would do a flash for oh say $50-100 because they can do it without costing them a dime but their time.. is probably fairly difficult. So, sounds like this is going to be a $500 flash if I ever got to that point of being willing to shell out $650+ for a cruise control button/function.

Now, if anyone can refer me to someone relatively close by (within oh say 2 hours or so) of B'ham, Alabama -- that can do it super cheap, that changes the ballgame.

A computer is a computer -- If I had a 350 Touring, for example to just PLAY with.. and some time.. I bet I could manage to grab the ROM off that vehicle and save it.. then work on flashing it over to the base model. The money in this stuff is in the proprietary software that gives you the GUI to load the new ROM file and flash/copy over the old one.

I sort of doubt the ROM files are tied into the VIN of the cars.. would add a fair bit of extra time in the manufacturing process.. and let's be honest,.. what percentage of Z owners are flashing their computers? 0.1%? Not a big problem for Nissan.

So if anyone has a reference to someone who can do it cheaper.. I'm in Birmingham, AL.. PM me,.. or let me know here.

Also, just out of curiosity -- When this is flashed,.. and you say have your battery go dead on you.. or you remove the battery cable to let the ECU go back to default -- It doesn't revert to the Base (original) flash right? In my mind,.. computers once flashed are that way forever, or until you change them again.. battery or no battery. But, this is a car,.. so things aren't exactly identical to PC's.

Take care,
Old 12-16-2013, 12:00 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

It was a 10 second affair and I swapped motors 2x with the car batteryless each time over a week.

No loss. The file is changed and becomes the permanent rom of the car.

I really think he was able to do it via the uprev cable but outside uprev.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Chromatic

It was a 10 second affair and I swapped motors 2x with the car batteryless each time over a week.

No loss. The file is changed and becomes the permanent rom of the car.

I really think he was able to do it via the uprev cable but outside uprev.
Wish you weren't out in Phoenix -- Your guy is obviously way too far for me to use.

Anyone have someone who will do it for a more reasonable price than $500 for just Cruise closer to the B'ham, AL area?
Old 12-16-2013, 01:37 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Chromatic
Wish you weren't out in Phoenix -- Your guy is obviously way too far for me to use.

Anyone have someone who will do it for a more reasonable price than $500 for just Cruise closer to the B'ham, AL area?
Have you called your local tuners? They list tuners on their site.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:07 PM
hugog10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just read this. THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO DO. SO THE INTERCHANGE ON THE STEERING CONTROL BUTTONS ARE 06 AND UP CORRECT? ALSO WHAT IS THE PART # ON THE 2 SENSORS THAT I NEED LOCATED BY THE PEDALS? AND THE INTERCHANGE?
Old 12-20-2013, 04:23 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by hugog10
i just read this. THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO DO. SO THE INTERCHANGE ON THE STEERING CONTROL BUTTONS ARE 06 AND UP CORRECT? ALSO WHAT IS THE PART # ON THE 2 SENSORS THAT I NEED LOCATED BY THE PEDALS? AND THE INTERCHANGE?
Turn off the caps.

The numbers are all over, all years will work depends on what you choose. There are no sensors, just switches. (one brake, one clutch pedal & steering wheel.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Chromatic

Found a local Tuner that uses Uprev/Osiris -- Just emailed him about the 350Z and Cruise.. I expect him to have done a 350 before, but never heard of or done the Cruise flash.

With that in mind -- I need all the information one of you who have gone through the actual process of getting your base flashed to having Cruise that you can give me.

IE: What all files need to be flashed?

Is it still just one file, and that same file is the one you will be tuning off of?

Does it need to be the EXACT year model "CAL" file.

What is the easiest/preferred file to flash to with a 2008 350Z base? IE: have any particular names for 2008? Is this file a Touring? Enthusiast model, etc?

Where did your tuner (or you) get it?

I'm trying to gather all the info so I can inform the tuner precisely how to get the "file(s)" that will allow Cruise to activate from day one,.. and be able to TUNE that file based on the Dyno, etc as well.

I just have two K&N intakes and a True Dual catback exhaust (Invidia Gemini) -- So not sure if a tune is even wise to do yet.. But, If I can get the guy to do the flash to enable cruise I'll be ordering the Brake and Clutch switches, The steering controls and I guess I need the Axxess module for the controls to communicate with my headunit as well.

I was going to PM,.. but all info is better put out for the public to see imho.

Thanks for any answers.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:16 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Everything you need is here:

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...market-bs.html

My base has cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is how I did it:

Installed steering wheel controls. Installed clutch pedal cruise switch, installed brake cruise switch, installed cal file cf41e over cal file cf43d. I have no lights on my dash but cruise, accel, decel all work!!!!!!!!!!!!

My car officially has EVERYTHING I want!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Chromatic

Thanks I've read that many times.. So the filename listed is THE filename I should be telling my tuner to get.. there are no other filenames out there that are used for cruise flash on a 2008?

I guess the main thing is just what file(s) are needed and in particular names for him (or myself) to get from Uprev.

There is a small possibility I will order the tuning kit myself for $500 or so since It will allow me to flash myself and supplies all the files with it (valet, etc..) But doesn't automatically supply other model "unlocked" base files of course. I suppose Uprev has no problem sending these unlocked file(s) after you've purchased the license.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:37 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

That was the rom that gave my 2006 cruise. Outside that I have no idea.

From what I have heard UPREV will milk you for all you are worth.

I had a great tuner that had the files (this was the third he tried) and we figured out base could have cruise.