Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

ztuners in WNC,ETN,NGA

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 09:19 AM
aengus777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ztuners in WNC,ETN,NGA

i live in the isolated western NC mountains(you'd drool over my daily drive home!!!!) and need to find a trusted tuner in either mid to western NC, east tenn or north ga.
i've noticed ravaz and others talking about work done fairly close by but would like input from anyone with experience with area tuners.
initially i will stay NA (headers, cats, exhaust, plenum, ecu) as i watch FI development (esp.the much anticipated dream workes SC ). should i make the drive to crawford(really too far)or are there others closer?
i own an 04 SB track with volk gt-7s as my only mod ( i have only 1400 mi) and look forward to a progressive upgrade in HP and torque.
as many of you know , my previous car was a 460 hp TT supra and i do miss the power. the Z is such a wonderful handler, IMHO the prettiest thing on the road and has the potential to build more than adequate power.
one additional(and somewhat unrelated) comment to all:
i get a kick out of everyones quest for HP when they havent had experience with very high HP cars. my supra was incredibly fast but difficult to drive close to the limit on curvey roads because of the surge of power once the second turbo hit --and it hit hard!!!. i am a very experienced and competent driver having owned many modded corvette stingrays, turbo and twin turbo Zs and the TTsupra.(BTW i'm 56)
driveability is obviously important and i love the 350 because of this . being sideways at 70 in S curves after the second turbo hit on the supra is something that would give inexperienced drivers a real thrill(ha).
soooooo, track time, driving courses and progressively building power may help to keep some out of the weeds .
thanks for the help and please dont be offended by my last paragraph...i just hate to think that some youngster will have their fun cut short letting their fantasies for speed outstrip their abilities.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:28 AM
bigdaddy

hey there...

i think your best bet right now would be some of the shops in charlotte. mcduck (a member here) got a whole lot of N/A work done by some guys down there. zimbo (another member) just got a Vortech installed in charlotte as well. i would start off by asking those two guys.

on another note...where in western NC are you? i grew up in sylva. during my last trip home (thanksgiving) i brought the Z and hit up the tail of the dragon with my dad and his s2000. i would almost move back up there just to get to drive those roads everyday.

hope this helps a little.

sean
Old 01-02-2004, 01:02 PM
aengus777

thanks big daddy
i live in sylva!!!
teach at wcu and wouldnt live anywhere else.
i'll contact those 2 directly if they dont respond to the post.
let me know the next time U R around the area.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:03 PM
bigdaddy

awesome. my mom used to work at WCU. can't remember what department, something to do with nursing. it was it the building up the hill above the old gym.

anyway, best of luck. i probably won't be up there in the Z again until the thing at the dragon in may. however, i will be sure to give you a shout when i am up there next.

sean
Old 01-03-2004, 10:22 AM
aengus777

hope zimbo,mcduck,ravaz or others in this area will help me find a credible tuner---are you out there????
Old 01-03-2004, 01:01 PM
ravaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know of any tuners in that area, I guess you can bring it to the place McDuck got his work done at, being they worked on Z's before and he seems happy with their work. If you wanted to make the trip over to Raleigh I can point you to a really good shop that I trust and a great tuner, but other then that, I don't really know about that side of the state. I haven't let anyone in this state work on my car but the shop I know over here is really sharp.

-Bill
Old 01-03-2004, 04:58 PM
bigdaddy

bill...where in raleigh do you recommend?

sean
Old 01-03-2004, 08:57 PM
ravaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sean,

I trust Higher Standard Auto in Durham, and right next door to them is Jeff at Carolina Auto Masters, probably one of the best tuners.

Bill
Old 01-04-2004, 08:40 AM
aengus777

thanks ravas---thought you had driven to charlotte for tunung for some reason.
i'd like to stay within a couple of hours of home so tuners in charlotte, atlanta or knoxville would be ideal.
anyone out there from those areas?????