Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

The problem with catch cans and the 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 04:37 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You install on both sides, with mirrored direction.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:40 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

in reference to the above post.....

I have 2 issues: crank pressure and what will surely be the accomanying oil misting.

I have no catch cans or crank evap systems as we speak.

the only area I have to mount any catch can let alone TWO is behind the front bumper , both under the passenger headlight. ( drivers side has an oil cooler
Ill likely use a fitting and extended hose instead of the bottom drain cap.. may make draining easier by pulling them up and out thru the large fr bumper opening Ill wind up with, or perhaps from underneath after removing the splash tray.

Regardless, what i was wondering is if the legth of the tubing that will require will have adverse effects on a catch can set up.. mind you.. Im running over 20 lbs of boost even on my pump gas maps.

last question..

if i go vented catch cans.. can I do away w the breather filters and route the lines directly to my exhaust using a crank evac kit?

or is that something totally different altogether?

Last edited by bmccann101; 05-17-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:37 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Can't help you with mounting i'm afraid, i have to assume the problem is your bay is full of powerful goodness. I can tell you from experience with my friends turbo'd car, that you *really* should have the two catch cans in place.

The crap he gets in them, obviously more from the turbo side, is really quite disgusting, even if it didn't get back to his oil, the mess going through the combustion cycle will gunk it all up!

You'll be good with longer tubing with the boosted setup IMO, my friends isn't very short.

If you go vented, then i don't see why you couldn't go to the exhaust with them, however, as discussed previously in this thread, you then technically have un-metered air going round, honestly, i don't think that's a good idea, no matter what others might say.
It's metered for a reason, i would imagine it'd matter more on a boosted setup.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:48 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread OP. I need to upgrade my catch can setup as I'm getting a fair bit of oil misting back into my drivers side turbo intake and it's making my car smoke from the exhaust on deceleration.

How did you run tubing from the small nipple on the PCV valve to the larger receiver on the catch can? I can't tell if you have an adapter on there.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:09 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Same size receiver on the catch can, i think it's 5/8th?

If you order the can from him, make sure you specify the micro can with the 350 adjustments, otherwise there is no room.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:21 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bmccann101
Regardless, what i was wondering is if the legth of the tubing that will require will have adverse effects on a catch can set up.. mind you.. Im running over 20 lbs of boost even on my pump gas maps.

last question..

if i go vented catch cans.. can I do away w the breather filters and route the lines directly to my exhaust using a crank evac kit?

or is that something totally different altogether?
The length will add a noticeable amount of resistance so I would recommend a large diameter hose. 5/8" would be the smallest I would use if you are running it a very long way.

If you are talking about the exhaust bung that is welded in and allows crank gases into the exhaust system then there would be no reason to even run a catch can. The oil mist would just get burned through the exhaust system. If you did run the catch cans then you would have 1 line in from the valve covers and the other line goes to the bung into the exhaust. No extra vents.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:28 AM
kaio007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any one have any problems with this catch can leaking oil? I keep finding a spot of oil on the ground under the catch can everytime I move my car. Didnt have problems with it prior to the first time I drained it. I have the screw turned all the way to the right (Nut is at the bottom of the threads)... which I believe is 'closed'... and the catch can is no where near full.. so I am confused on how it keeps leaking from release nozzle.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:53 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

I'm alright here, it does sound like you've not gotten the valve shut completely.

Make sure the nut is fully wound clockwise (if looking from underneath the can) even though it moves away from the can, it is closing it.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:12 AM
RENFRO

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

I installed a catch can from custom corvette accessories early last week. I pop the hood and inspect the hoses and connections nearly every day and have yet to see any kind of leaks. Seems to be working perfectly and I had just barely enough space in the engine bay of my 03 on the left side to install it. Haven't noticed any kind of performance issues or anything, but am curious as to what I may see over the next 10k miles or so? Anybody had any long term issues?
Old 06-28-2013, 08:32 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

WHy would there be long term issues with adding something to catch oil between the valve covers and intake plenum?
Old 06-28-2013, 10:35 AM
kaio007

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX

Make sure the nut is fully wound clockwise (if looking from underneath the can) even though it moves away from the can, it is closing it.
Thanks for the confirmation.. I opened and re-closed accordingly and will check again over the next couple days.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:26 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Originally Posted by RENFRO
I installed a catch can from custom corvette accessories early last week. I pop the hood and inspect the hoses and connections nearly every day and have yet to see any kind of leaks. Seems to be working perfectly and I had just barely enough space in the engine bay of my 03 on the left side to install it. Haven't noticed any kind of performance issues or anything, but am curious as to what I may see over the next 10k miles or so? Anybody had any long term issues?
You won't see any perf problems/running problems if it's a proper can and it's wired up properly. It's just removing the oil from the combustion process.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:02 PM
blAk mAx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have this one but haven't gotten to install it

Old 12-02-2013, 03:03 PM
B T

just want to throw in my .02, I saw a lot of oil in my lower plenum of my Revup earlier in the year so I ordered a "Custom Corvette Accessories Catch Can" online. It's a very nice aluminum setup with 2 stage chambers and replaceable filter. On the down side, I immediately removed it from the box and checked it under the tap for ability to hold fluids.
It Failed!

A slow leak from the petcock valve while in the closed position. Also, once in the closed position, the finger tightener became stuck and would not re-open the valve. The parts to fix it are maybe $3 at an auto parts store, but make sure you check it before you install it!

Last edited by B T; 12-02-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:22 PM
ogiehooker

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Custom catch can sfr

or, if ur zNOT a cheap *** (as referenced waaay earlier in the thread), have a properly built one custom made..SFR built one for me with a drip chamber in the upper end so that oil drips through "fingers" Tim cut in a plate he welded in the middle...the bottom is stuff with AL shavings....K and N filter allows venting.
Attached Thumbnails The problem with catch cans and the 350Z-20131029_182538.jpg   The problem with catch cans and the 350Z-catch-can-with-filer-attached.jpg   The problem with catch cans and the 350Z-catach-cans-mounted.jpg  

Last edited by ogiehooker; 12-02-2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: pics didnt upload
Old 12-02-2013, 06:34 PM
sidewaysil80

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone successfully ordered a saikou michi catch can recently? I sent about 3-4 emails over the last 5 months and still haven't gotten a response...
Old 12-02-2013, 07:15 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Any updates on the main page etc?
Old 12-02-2013, 07:45 PM
P&K350Z

Originally Posted by sidewaysil80
Has anyone successfully ordered a saikou michi catch can recently? I sent about 3-4 emails over the last 5 months and still haven't gotten a response...
I did. Received it and installed it a couple of weeks ago. Ordered two at the same time (one for a buddy) and received them in good order. It did take about four weeks for delivery...
Old 02-05-2014, 06:59 PM
Bigsyke

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jerryd87
just looked at the fsm and see why you think it works that way, but i promise you it dosnt work. theres no positive pressure in the intake its all vacuum. since theres no check valve on the back port the air is going to flow in the direction of least resistance. which is going to be out of the crankcase and into the intake any time the engine is running because theres a vacuum sucking air out of the crankcase, and blow by and windage is helping push it out.

theres nothing on a stock engine to produce a positive pressure to push air into the pcv system, not sure what dude made that diagram at nissan but he needs to be fired because he obviously dint get with anyone else when the car was designed to see if that would even work that way. my guess is they had the janitor make the drawing for how the pcv system works.
420 much? I've read this whole thread, and I do not think you have said anything remotely correct. The FSM is correct. At idle the PCV valve is at a low flow state, reducing vacuum at the intake side. At a medium level of manifold vacuum the PCV valve is at a high flow state, increasing the pull from the intake side. The only time air will reverse flow on the intake side is;
  • During WOT
  • High blowby @idle or WOT
  • Clogged or worn PCV valve.

Also, the engine wont always expel the unburnt gasses. The volume of air remains the same with engine rotations.

Yes there are corrosive toxins that are diluted into the engine oil. Yes, there is unburnt fuel, that damages the oil.

A NA car needs vacuum. Which is why people buy KrankVents
Old 02-06-2014, 09:05 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

i bought this little guy.. hoping it will cure my case pressure issues.. ( im not seeing any issues, but I know the pressure is there as Ive shot poil out of my dipstick on heavy acceleration last summer lol.. stinky when it hits the headders right underneath lol..

( remember, im heavily boosted)

Its small so will require routine checks, but its nicely built from what i can tell.

fully baffled, fully disassembleable, has a dip stick vs craptastic plastic tubes.. its vented and i will likely run a tube from that bung out past the middle of the car underneath to minimize smells coming thru from under the hood or windows.

DUnno.. my guy says it can be installed w a check valve so I dont require two..

?

Name:  IMG_20140131_142647_599_zps4uq7wx1z.jpg
Views: 2979
Size:  1.72 MB

Name:  IMG_20140131_142620_276_zpsurihizv1.jpg
Views: 3005
Size:  1.65 MB

Quick Reply: The problem with catch cans and the 350Z