Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

The problem with catch cans and the 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 01:23 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Project import either needs to fire the guy doing the videos or have a better editor. "There is oil all over inside of this crankcase". Umm, I would hope so or that engine wouldn't run very long.

Anyways, they are just charging you 20$ for a fitting you don't need since a 3/8" hose fits onto the stock PCV valve. If you want the valve to not have a check ball in it then drill the hole in the bottom end slightly larger and remove the ball and spring. Costs about 5 minutes of your time.

They are about 15 years late to the party. The boosted community has been running both of those vents to a catch can along with the middle cross over vents to the catch can for years. It's not rocket science. They didn't figure out any new tricks. Muscle cars have been doing it longer than these guys have been on this earth.

You can put a catch can with both of those valve covers connected to it back to the upper plenum and not have oil in the upper plenum either. The catch can is appropriately named "catch can" because it catches the oil. The baffling is cooler than the hot gases coming through it and the oil condenses on the baffles and drips down. Until it is full a properly made catch can lower than the plenum intake port will not allow oil into it due to gravity.

Until I started getting really heavy in boost and needed straight open breather I ran a catch can up front back into the plenum. I pulled plugs and checked connections every oil change since it wasn't a daily driver and I didn't have even a bit of oil in my plenum. Dry to touch. I would empty my catch can about once a month and wouldn't get but a few drops out of it even when I was at 819hp.

That being said my factory 2003 engine had 60k on it when I tore it down for a build. My plenum never had oil in the factory system either so I think there must be a problem with a lot of these engines. Similar to the blowby in the "oil consumption" engines they recalled.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:10 PM
fridaytech21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes there is oil in the combustion chamber, but what’s left behind by the scraping ring on the pistons. So hopefully not too much cause then you would have a major blow-by problem.

I guess if you want to use the original valve of course it works too. Personally I like the clean look of AN’s.

Your right, PI wasn't stating this as new information, although there are young unlearned people running around all over the place, so I think that was more for them. I mean we all started somewhere right. And yeah as I mentioned in my last post the PCV was introduced as a smog device in the early 70's. Before that small blocks ran filters directly on the valve covers, the only time they really don't is when they are crazy dragsters requiring them to use a vacuum pump that is pulling pressure out of the crank case ventilation system to allow the pistons to suck down harder creating better compression.

Or for that matter you could go dry sump and that will take care of all this issue too.

Last edited by fridaytech21; 04-25-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:34 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

here's my solution so far. Hopefully it will work out.

Name:  IMG_20170501_142143_255_zpsrid9kxkn.jpg
Views: 3197
Size:  4.61 MB

Name:  20170602_190405_zpsbwdo7y2k.jpg
Views: 3030
Size:  2.77 MB

Bought a 10an fitting for the pcv hole, and drilled out the drivers side tube to have a larger functional opening inside to the valve covers.

had a nice rare ARC catch can .. and then modified to actually do something lol, w 10an fittings and half inch push lock hose and fittings throughout, with as straight or short runs as possible... the vent tube was drilled out w a 10an as well, and runs out to the intake tube pre turbo for smell... ZERO residue in the intake tube.

The drain on the bottom of the can was a pita to get to, so I threaded in a 6an and ran small diameter push lock hose down to a nice AN fitting cap tied to the sub-frame near the LCA inner bolt... , so that way I can drain it right where I do oil changes etc.

If I still get crank pressure issues after all of this, I'm putting 2 10an fittings into the spare upper oil pan that I picked up from a friend...re routing the oil drain from the turbo to one, and venting it to its own catch can elsewhere w the other .
Old 06-12-2017, 09:36 PM
fridaytech21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks pretty good man, is the ARC can baffled? If I am reading what you wrote correctly, you don't want the evaporated oil to drain back into the engine because the excess water vapor accumulates in the can. You would be solid into the block when the water falls out of suspension.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:49 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by fridaytech21
Looks pretty good man, is the ARC can baffled? If I am reading what you wrote correctly, you don't want the evaporated oil to drain back into the engine because the excess water vapor accumulates in the can. You would be solid into the block when the water falls out of suspension.
I made it baffled.. But Nothing drains back.. It just has a really long drain line so I can service it below th car.. The sht that builds up in these will never go back into my Amsoil lol
Old 01-23-2018, 08:20 AM
Zelles

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got sick of reading the argument about how a bloody PCV valve works, did the OP actually get the custom catch can made and available from a supplier? The first few pages he talked about making a second version but i couldnt be ****ed looking in between all the PCV valve rants
Old 01-24-2018, 07:51 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, they have one available and it works fine, though i think it's overpriced now.
The following users liked this post:
Zelles (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 12:23 PM
Zelles

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX
Yes, they have one available and it works fine, though i think it's overpriced now.
I ordered one, its essentially the same price as other catch cans - but ohwell. I mentioned i was reffered from my350z and a member that essentially helped them design but still paid the same price. Word of mouth should at least get you a good deal as you are essentially their advertising for free by passing on the recomendation
Old 01-24-2018, 03:22 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreed.