Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

NISMO 46cc Heads inspected... to be installed \m/, ^_^ .\m/

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 04:27 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And after all this if the cams don't fit... I will have my stock heads P&P before I put them back on.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:11 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Well, this just went from exciting to ugly in about 2 min's. First off we pull the heads and sent them to our machine shop to R&R the valves. We now know the stock valves don't work and need to order a set from a VK45? WTF is a VK45? So that's the first part.... You also will need the retainers from the same and the Nismo valve springs as well. Now we still don't know if the stock Nismo cams will fit, but after the post from "Nathan", we are less than optimistic that they will. So for my car we will reassemble the stock heads after a P&P job..... but wait, it's now race season and they can't get to my heads for a couple weeks! Guess they will go back in dead stock.. So then I decide to go ahead and remove the rest of the engine to put in Forged Rods and 11.5 pistons for now...... but the pistons are .20 over and ..... it's race season. Basicly, it just sucks to be me... So I will someday get the Nismo heads put together complete and throw them on a car, just not anytime soon. Expensive lesson learned.. Damn, so what can I do now that it's all apart... has to be some go fast goodie I can throw on it!

Old 01-21-2004, 12:33 PM
VQ35Kompressor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess we'll just have to wait and see...I definitely want to see the amount of power you guys make going all motor, because I'm interested! Turbo...is the alternative...
Old 01-21-2004, 12:44 PM
stx

Jeff, so you need the valves from which VK45? The Infinity 4.5 liter V8 engine or is the Infinity Pro Series 3.5 liter V8 engine?
Old 01-21-2004, 05:46 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff & Jason
I get no satisfaction from saying " I told you so"
Dont waste your time Porting & Polishing your std heads & dont put in the 11.5 pistons just yet.
These new heads are the real Mc Coy. the flow chart I saw in Japan showed they flow just about as much as the full race JGTC Nismo race motor heads.
If you use these heads they will need new pistons to bring the compression down to around 11/1,
Do some research on this VK 45 thing.
I am just in the process of working out what valve length to get made for my heads & weather to use GTR type valve retainers so I can use shim pads for lash adjustment.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:35 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my vote. Send the block to Golden Eagle to be sleeved. Put in forged rods and 8.5:1 pistons and run 18psi on a Greddy twin kit. Run stock heads and cams, make 600rwhp
Old 01-21-2004, 08:41 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by Nathan
Jeff & Jason
I get no satisfaction from saying " I told you so"
Dont waste your time Porting & Polishing your std heads & dont put in the 11.5 pistons just yet.
These new heads are the real Mc Coy. the flow chart I saw in Japan showed they flow just about as much as the full race JGTC Nismo race motor heads.
If you use these heads they will need new pistons to bring the compression down to around 11/1,
Do some research on this VK 45 thing.
I am just in the process of working out what valve length to get made for my heads & weather to use GTR type valve retainers so I can use shim pads for lash adjustment.

there is only one way to find out... and we found out the hard way... we still dont know for sure about the cams (unless jeff found out more info after I left today) but as soon as we heard about the valves we were like forget it...

the stock heads are pretty damn nice... P&P wouldnt do much to them...

The VK45 valves would be nice though.. they are Titanium..

oh well... We will be putting the JWT cams in when we re-build the motor...

it kind of sucks how NISMO gives NO information on these parts.. even with the other NISMO stuff we had to find out.. I really hope they fix that...

We wonder if the Tomi cams will fit without shims in these new heads...
Old 01-21-2004, 08:47 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by FLY BY Z
hey since the tomeis have to be shimmed and adjusted to fit the stock head maybe they will fit this head without adjustment. call sgpracing and see if kyle knows.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:03 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Just off the phone with NISMO and the NISMO CAMS will work with these heads along with the VK45 Titanium Valves and Retainers, and NISMO high lift springs.

We will be offering these heads in a assembled form or seperatly.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:42 AM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
Just off the phone with NISMO and the NISMO CAMS will work with these heads along with the VK45 Titanium Valves and Retainers, and NISMO high lift springs.

We will be offering these heads in a assembled form or seperatly.
Great News Jason
As the Infinti brand is not sold in Australia could you please PM me on the price of the valves & if they need modification to fit the RZZ heads.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:54 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by Nathan
Great News Jason
As the Infinti brand is not sold in Australia could you please PM me on the price of the valves & if they need modification to fit the RZZ heads.
I will definatly... we will add these on our web site...

they can be ordered apart from the kit as well...
Old 01-23-2004, 12:42 PM
pimp1911

Thanks Jason/Jeff for doing this. Your pain is everyone in the Z community gain. Looks like I need to start saving for the package. Once again thanks.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:35 PM
Flasher

This is what makes the MY350Z great.
Combining experience from a pool of minds to resolve issues that would otherwise be a painfull lesson to others is invaluable.

All without once being "flamed".
Keep up the good work.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:54 PM
was wesman

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
I will definatly... we will add these on our web site...

they can be ordered apart from the kit as well...
Have a round about figure on the full head package ?

I assum you'll ahve flow #'s compared to stock etc ?

Thanks for going through all this hassle....stuff like this makes it infinitely easier for everyone else out there.

--wes
Old 01-23-2004, 06:09 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by was wesman
Have a round about figure on the full head package ?--wes
Motorsports is getting us the last of the parts we need to assemble these. I'll have a cost soon. What's funny is as a Nissan Dealer I can't order Infinity parts, so they have to now update the valves I need to a Motorsports part. I was also told by my Motorsports guy that the heads in the near future will be sold with the valves, guides and springs already installed...... Who say's they don't listen to/read these Forums!!! Thanks Nissan for letting me do your R&D...
Old 01-23-2004, 06:49 PM
was wesman

lol...the way I see it they owe you for the R&D work

You should charge them for research, development,marketing, as well as distribution....they owe you big for all of it

--wes
Old 01-23-2004, 07:48 PM
pimp1911

Originally posted by Jeff@Performance
Motorsports is getting us the last of the parts we need to assemble these. I'll have a cost soon. What's funny is as a Nissan Dealer I can't order Infinity parts, so they have to now update the valves I need to a Motorsports part. I was also told by my Motorsports guy that the heads in the near future will be sold with the valves, guides and springs already installed...... Who say's they don't listen to/read these Forums!!! Thanks Nissan for letting me do your R&D...
Now. That is scary. I have to put up with this type of treatment at my job also. My boss wants me to do some work but he doesnt even have a clue of how it works. Just do the work. Once again thanks for going through this. I wish Nismo and Nissan would some kinda of way thank you for this. Most of the dealers out here are still behind the ball as regard to performance parts for our cars. I guess they are justing focusing on getting them out the door and not on how to make more recurring revenue off the cars they sell.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:07 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Well, we worked on my new engine all week and fired it up the other day.... BOOM! Seems even we make mistakes and installed one of the new cams 180 degrees off! Friday we jump on the car, rebuild it all to get it ready for San Diego DYNO day and we fired it up at 6:00pm last night. Well it sounds nasty and idles mean.... but now it has a friken water leak! It's a $1.00 metal gasket at the back of the head and no way to fix it until the part comes in.... TUESDAY!! So with Jason's car wrecked, and mine a dead player it just sucks to be us right now. Another weekend goes by that I miss a couple 350Z events. DAMN, I want to scream!!! Guess I'll send the car to T/S next week and dyno tune this beast. So since we had it apart I had a guy do some Port and Polish work to the heads and intake runner doing a port match as well. Installed the JIC Y-pipe, JWT Cams, and JWT pop-charger. I'll throw up some dyno numbers as soon as Tadashi has time to tune her. Boy, this has been an expensive week.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:05 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

hey... quit making fun of my wrecked car...
Old 01-31-2004, 04:46 PM
aalzuhair

I think I will go with NA rather than FI

Az

Quick Reply: NISMO 46cc Heads inspected... to be installed \m/, ^_^ .\m/