Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

NISMO 46cc Heads inspected... to be installed \m/, ^_^ .\m/

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 04:54 AM
pimp1911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its like this is a good and bad mod. Thoughts?
Old 04-25-2004, 01:35 PM
turbo-maxima

How many 350z are going to rev to 10,000 rpm. Maybe a handful.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:17 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found out some useful info on these NISMO heads in regard to installing them onto your 350z. From someone who has actually installed them onto his car.

You cant just stick the NISMO heads(actually a VQ30 head with VQ35 valve seats) on and off you go, because the compression ratio is raised you need to change your pistons, rods and rod bolts as well because of the increased heat and pressure exerted on them. The cams would also need changing to any of the aftermarket ones because the stock VQ35 ones dont work with the head. Also because the location of the valve openings is futher down in the VQ30 heads the VQ35 or titanium FX45 valves which are sold through performance nissan arent long enough to be hit by the camshaft lobe. Therefore you'll also need to buy larger tapets and possibly modify them to the correct size enabling the lobe to make perfect contact. High lift valve springs, retainers, ecu tuning and possibly a few other bits would also be required.

Last edited by mchapman; 04-25-2004 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:15 PM
pimp1911

Would using a more aggresive cam(ie more agressive than Nismo 262 degrees) make up th distance between the cam lobe and the valves. I was hoping the Q45/FX45 titanium valves would reach and do the trick. And what size pistons.

Last edited by pimp1911; 04-25-2004 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:27 PM
Street Visionz, Inc.
Banned

So a VQ30 would work...... And what pistons would we need to change to? You also say something about the vq35 and fx45 valves not working with the vq30 head? So can anyone list exactly what needs to be done in this head swap.
1. You can swap to more aggressive cams
2. Now you need new pistons, rods, rod bolts?
3. Different valves?
4. High lift valve springs and retainers?

man is this getting confusing. sounds promising though.

Originally posted by mchapman
You cant just stick the NISMO heads(actually a VQ30 head with VQ35 valve seats) on and off you go, because the compression ratio is raised you need to change your pistons, rods and rod bolts as well because of the increased heat and pressure exerted on them. The cams would also need changing to any of the aftermarket ones because the stock VQ35 ones dont work with the head. Also because the location of the valve openings is futher down in the VQ30 heads the VQ35 or titanium FX45 valves which are sold through performance nissan arent long enough to be hit by the camshaft lobe. Therefore you'll also need to buy larger tapets and possibly modify them to the correct size enabling the lobe to make perfect contact. High lift valve springs, retainers, ecu tuning and possibly a few other bits would also be required.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:43 AM
mchapman

Originally posted by pimp1911
Would using a more aggresive cam(ie more agressive than Nismo 262 degrees) make up th distance between the cam lobe and the valves. I was hoping the Q45/FX45 titanium valves would reach and do the trick. And what size pistons.
No, as the person who has tried this had cams custom made with approximatly >12mm of lift and even they were off by alot. The JWT cams have the highest amount and they only have 10.9mm of lift.

Even if the higher lift cams could reach(which they dont) they wouldnt be hitting the cam at the designed location causing damage and wouldnt be able to push the valve through its entire range of motion.

Last edited by mchapman; 04-26-2004 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:10 AM
mchapman

Originally posted by x350Zx
So a VQ30 would work...... And what pistons would we need to change to? You also say something about the vq35 and fx45 valves not working with the vq30 head? So can anyone list exactly what needs to be done in this head swap.
1. You can swap to more aggressive cams
2. Now you need new pistons, rods, rod bolts?
3. Different valves?
4. High lift valve springs and retainers?

man is this getting confusing. sounds promising though.
No I dont think the normal VQ30 head would work as the NISMO head is not a normal VQ30 head. Its a modified one with VQ35 valve seats etc and possible some other differences to make it work with the VQ35.

You dont need different valves, you can use the VQ35 or FX45 valves but you need larger tapets which sit on the end of the valve to make up the distance between the valve and the camshaft lobe. I dont know the exact measurements needed but you should take this into consideraton before you order the head because you wont have all the parts needed for the install otherwise. The person who has done this actually bought oversize tappets because it takes a while to get the parts here to Australia from Japan and ground them down to the correct size to get them to work.

I dont know the exact list down to every bolt needed for the NISMO head to work, but im sure after performance nissan try to put it into their car they will have to figure this out and will inform everyone of any troubles they have and what additional parts are required.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:51 AM
ether

Originally posted by Resolute
The VQ30 heads do not flow as well as the VQ35 heads do. The VQ35 heads stock are close to what these RZZ heads will flow, but the VQ30 will not come close to these NISMO heads. This swap will also require the front chain cover to be replaced and yes, you will lose the CVTCC system on the VQ35. Second, the wiping pad on the VQ30 buckets are not as large as the what can fit on the VQ35 or the RZZ, which is a damn good reason why the Formula Nissan series do not use ported VQ30 heads on the VQ30 blocks when they rev to 10,000 rpm. Food for thought.
clarification question, will the CVTCC system work with the nismo heads? or is it that i will not work with the VQ30 heads but will work with the nismos?
Old 04-26-2004, 04:29 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by ether
clarification question, will the CVTCC system work with the nismo heads? or is it that i will not work with the VQ30 heads but will work with the nismos?
The CVTCC system work with the nismo heads, from what I understand from the guys at Nissan Motorsports. Also after the MESS with my car and the failed install of these heads on it... Nissan now sells the heads as a complete kit with valves, springs, retainers and will work with Nismo/JWT/Other cams. The valves are not installed for you, but go come with them. They are aslo Titanium. At 12.5 compression... I wouldn't recommend them for a stock street car... although we will try getting them on my car again in the future. I was going to put any furture engine mod's on hold until I could get my JWT TT... but they have decided to wait until Fall/Winter before they ramp up production. Since I'm getting bored.... time to try something else
Old 04-26-2004, 02:26 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some clarification needed.
I am using the Nismo RRZ cyinder heads on my Z & you can not use them with any of the available aftermarket camshafts ( JWT, Nismo, Tomei etc) if you use the titanium Infiniti VK45 valves.

Reason being that the valves seats in the RRZ head sit aprox 1.8mm further into the combustion chamber than the stock head and the VK45 valves are the same length as the stock valves.
All of the above cams are ground with the same base circle as stock cam so you have a problem setting the valve clearance as none of the available cam buckets (tappets) are thick enough.
Nismo have available blank cams that can be ground with a bigger
base circle.
Or you can do what I did and get shims made up to make up the 1.8 mm gap.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:43 PM
Resolute

Originally posted by ether
Will not work with VQ30 heads. I don't know about on the RZZ. My point was only that the VQ30 heads are no where near the same as the RZZ heads, they only share the same Cc volume.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:47 PM
UsafaRice

Nathan,

So far you're the only one that I've heard of to install the RZZ heads. Did you flow bench them vs a stock head (with or without port and polish, doesn't really matter much)?

Also, I just found all your posts in the Australia posts and my biggest observation is that the VQ could rev a lot more than Nissan is letting it. In your opinion, would a cam profile that kept making power all the way up to 7k or 7.5k rpm mean substantial losses down low? Or is there some way to work the intake and CVTCS to maintain at least stock levels of torque on the bottom end?
Old 04-26-2004, 05:47 PM
UsafaRice

double post, sorry.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:52 PM
Nathan

UsafaRice
No I did not get them flow tested but I saw a flow graph at the 2003 Tokyo Auto Salon comparing the stock heads to the RZZ head & the JGTC race motor heads & the RZZ heads were close to the race head in flow.
With a big lift cam which these heads can accomadate there will be no loss of TQ low down & good power increases accross the revs up to about 7K but they will not make as much power as a big duration cam in the upper revs.
This motor is the basis of the new Fran Am racing series & with only 11.1 CR they are good for 400+HP at the flywheel at 7000rpm.
This motor was made at a cost for everything from a Pathfinder to an Infiniti.
If Nissan were to put a better bottom end in it there is no reason why it could not be made to make a reliable 350HP at say 7500 to 7800 RPM.
Remember the Z motor at its max TQ RPM of 4800, is putting out more HP than the BMW M3, Porche 3.6 996 & about the same as the 360 Ferrari.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:56 PM
mchapman

Originally posted by Nathan
Some clarification needed.
I am using the Nismo RRZ cyinder heads on my Z & you can not use them with any of the available aftermarket camshafts ( JWT, Nismo, Tomei etc) if you use the titanium Infiniti VK45 valves.

Reason being that the valves seats in the RRZ head sit aprox 1.8mm further into the combustion chamber than the stock head and the VK45 valves are the same length as the stock valves.
All of the above cams are ground with the same base circle as stock cam so you have a problem setting the valve clearance as none of the available cam buckets (tappets) are thick enough.
Nismo have available blank cams that can be ground with a bigger
base circle.
Or you can do what I did and get shims made up to make up the 1.8 mm gap.
Thanks for the clarification/additional info Peter, and yeah I meant VK45 valves not FX45.

Last edited by mchapman; 04-26-2004 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:50 AM
turbo-maxima

If you use the stock valves, can you use aftermarket cams like nismo, JWT, or Tomei?
Old 04-27-2004, 10:19 AM
UsafaRice

Originally posted by turbo-maxima
If you use the stock valves, can you use aftermarket cams like nismo, JWT, or Tomei?
because of the relative position of the valve set on this new head vs the old one, there is a longer distance between the cam and the valve opening. Like Nathan said, you can use a stock sized cam and the VK valves with shims, but I think the valve opening/seat might be different so it necessitates the new valve.

Regardless, if you're going to all the trouble to buy thousands of dollars of heads and cams, I would go ahead and get the titanium valves as well...
Old 04-27-2004, 01:19 PM
pimp1911

So basically the cam is a custom cam. You would have to purchase the camshaft blanks to get the unground lobes. Why would Nismo issue a head that doesnt work with the cams they sell.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:04 PM
Nathan

More clarification.
The Nismo head has 1mm smaller valve seat than the stock head & the exhaust is the same size as stock.
The VK45 inlet valve is 1mm smaller than stock & fits straight in Nismo head.
This head is not being marketed as a bolt on application for road cars but as a high flow head for race engine builders & with cam blanks for the engine builder to do with what he wants.
The available aftermarket cams were all designed as drop in replacements for the stock head.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:10 PM
pimp1911

Nathan. Thanks for all the information you provided.

Quick Reply: NISMO 46cc Heads inspected... to be installed \m/, ^_^ .\m/