Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

NISMO 46cc Heads inspected... to be installed \m/, ^_^ .\m/

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 03:49 AM
pimp1911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff/Jason anyword on pricing on a complete package for this setup. And Jeff did you have the Nismo head port polished or the stock OEM one.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:31 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by pimp1911
Jeff/Jason anyword on pricing on a complete package for this setup. And Jeff did you have the Nismo head port polished or the stock OEM one.
Still waiting on pricing from Nissan on the complete assy's. I'll have Jenny call them and find out what's up. After we found out we wouldn't get the racing heads anytime soon, it was my stock heads we sent out for the P&P job.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:38 AM
alpine

Default Re: NISMO 46cc Heads inspected... to be installed \m/, ^_^ .\m/

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
NISMO VQ35 46cc Heads on http://www.performancenissanparts.com

"I GOT HEADS! I GOT HEADS" Taking a closer look, we really did get NISMO 46cc heads!

Good thing there is 93 and 100 octane around the corner.
Great news on the heads, I'm also fortunate to have a couple spots with additional octane options including trick.

Now here comes all the questions about the upcoming configuration changes on jeffs car.

I had already mentioned this to Jeff over at the shop, but I thought I'd throw it in here for good measure.

As jeff wants to end up with Turbo, isn't part of the idea about running turbo is lower compression (to a point fellas) allows better gains/performance/safety on turbo operation?
Old 02-01-2004, 05:54 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

When we do the turbo project will will also build a low compression forged bottom end, with the Nismo heads coupled to it. The pistons will be custom made to end up with an overall compression somewhere between 9 and 9.5. We are still working on the numbers, but it's race season right now so my car takes a back seat for a bit.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:47 AM
alpine

Originally posted by Jeff@Performance
When we do the turbo project will will also build a low compression forged bottom end, with the Nismo heads coupled to it. The pistons will be custom made to end up with an overall compression somewhere between 9 and 9.5. We are still working on the numbers, but it's race season right now so my car takes a back seat for a bit.
I didn't recall the specifics as to how you said you were going to resolve the compression issue. This sounds like an incredible project on it's own, aside from everything else you've done and are planning on doing.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:09 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by alpine
I didn't recall the specifics as to how you said you were going to resolve the compression issue.
Compression issue? If your referring to the Nismo heads on the stock motor the compression would have been 12+ by just bolting them on. We were just curious what the effect would have been, and see if the car could be tuned to run on available fuels. As the project failed (so far) we decided to use them on my Turbo motor which is this summers project as long as we don't wreck too many race cars this season . As far as the compression on the pending Turbo project, we will work with our race teams engine builder to find a suitable compression ratio to boost to pull as much RWHP as we can and still have a street car that is driveable in stop and go traffic... we just want it all!! The Nismo heads, from what we understand, flow much better than stock so we want to use them on the turbo motor as well.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:16 AM
alpine

we just want it all!!
Who doesn't?
Old 02-15-2004, 08:32 PM
pimp1911

bump.

Last edited by pimp1911; 02-15-2004 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:09 AM
alpine

Originally posted by pimp1911
bump.
That's the idea.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:05 PM
volk z

jason you say that your car makes 265 to the rwhls and you have how many mods plz list them again ,cause i make 275 with half the mods you have.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:13 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

are you refering to me being Jason...

Im not making near 260 im afraid

but... every dyno is different... I could dyno 250 on one dyno... 230 on another... and 280 on another...
Old 02-18-2004, 06:06 AM
alpine

Originally posted by volk z
jason you say that your car makes 265 to the rwhls and you have how many mods plz list them again ,cause i make 275 with half the mods you have.
Jason already mentioned this, but it's Jeff's car not Jason's

and that is universal problem with Dynos....

You never know what you're gonna get, and there isn't too much that can be done about that, unless all the dyno operators, synchronized their "adjustments" and made certain everything about their dyno was A1 condiion and configuration and then if that wasn't enough, they would need to programmed identically.

Of course, next on the list is altitiude, and atmospheric conditions, so who knows... Dynos are guides and generally not fact.

None of the above is going to happen, and as Jason mentioned in a post as well, you will get different results from different dynos.

Have you been to dyno'd your car at various locations at similar times and weather?

275 at the rear wheel doesn't seem likely unless you have an abnormally stronger engine, and all things in the universe were in your favor at the time.

I'm not putting you down/ragging , it just doesn't seem likely.

if you do have 275, WOW!
Old 02-18-2004, 07:19 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

My car:
JWT Pop Charger
JWT Cams (want my nismo's back!)
Ported/Polished Heads
Nismo Headers
R/T Cat's
Nismo Exhaust
U.D.Pulleys
T/S ECU

270rwhp/268rwhp/265rwhp, 3 different dynos peak H.P.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:43 AM
alpine

My car:
JWT Pop Charger
JWT Cams (want my nismo's back!)
Ported/Polished Heads
Nismo Headers
R/T Cat's
Nismo Exhaust
U.D.Pulleys
T/S ECU

270rwhp/268rwhp/265rwhp, 3 different dynos peak H.P.
I don't know if you caught this part Jeff, but "volks z" at this time believes he has 275RWHP with half of these mods.

That is what I find unlikely, not that your combination of mods can't produce 270....

Of course if there is something that he failed to mention as to what "half" mods he has like (no exhaust, straight exhaust manifold) along with cams/pulleys/intake perhaps it's possible.

But then again, what do I know? (don't answer that)
Old 02-18-2004, 08:39 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The dyno is relative to itself.....that's it.

So what good are they? Simple - for comparing results among other cars that dyno on that particular dyno. Let's say a 911 TT with the X50 package dynoes at 400 at the wheels on a local AWD dyno. I bring my Z in, and it dyno's 260. We know that the 911 is making substantially more HP than my Z is. Is it really 140 hp more? Noone can know that answer for sure, but it certainly is fair to say and logical to conclude that the Porsche is making substantially more HP.

Now the other extreme - one guy in CA dynoes his car with a set number of mods at 260 hp, and someone in NY dynoes their Z with the same exact mods and 250 hp. I would bet dollars to donuts that if the two cars were ever to lineup side by side, they would be near neck and neck with each other.

Use the dyno for what it is guys - an estimation and a diagnostic tool. It is not the empirical be all and end all in HP.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:00 PM
volk z

i always dyno my car in the same place on a dyno jet iam aware of the diffrences in dynos thats why i always go the same place

my mods

invdia exhaust
aem cold air
grounding kit
unorthodox pulleys
no cats
remapped ecu

where do you get your car dynoed ?
Old 02-18-2004, 10:35 PM
OCG35Coupe

Dynojet with Dos vs Dynojet with Windows = 8-11 HP & TQ differance.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:56 AM
jreiter

That is a fantastic article. I'll keep that link saved for future reference.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:16 PM
volk z

ocg35 your exactly right on those figures i use to get the car dynoed at jg in alhambra which was dosed base but now iam using a windows based with on board weather station
Old 02-19-2004, 01:32 PM
mcduck

Of course, next on the list is altitiude, and atmospheric conditions, so who knows... Dynos are guides and generally not fact.
That's why you use SAE numbers and not STD numbers. If two cars on opposite coasts, at different altitudes, and different temperatures are dynoed (on the same type of dyno that is calibrated regularly), then the numbers produced should be relatively close. I'm sure they will still not be perfectly comparable, but they should be pretty close.

Quick Reply: NISMO 46cc Heads inspected... to be installed \m/, ^_^ .\m/