Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

NISMO 46cc Heads inspected... to be installed \m/, ^_^ .\m/

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 05:49 AM
alpine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mcduck
That's why you use SAE numbers and not STD numbers. If two cars on opposite coasts, at different altitudes, and different temperatures are dynoed (on the same type of dyno that is calibrated regularly), then the numbers produced should be relatively close. I'm sure they will still not be perfectly comparable, but they should be pretty close.
Yes, that is why I mentioned calibration, and "adjustments" to account for those differences.

The problem here is there is always going to be differences between the equipment, the operators, and acts of god.

Right?
Old 04-07-2004, 07:11 AM
ether

is anyone running these heads yet? combing them with the AEBS low compression stroker kit would yield somewhere around a high 9 CR.. maybe the AEBS and these NISMO heads could be a great stage 1 "kit" with the ability to put on boost later on..

Last edited by ether; 04-07-2004 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:31 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ether
is anyone running these heads yet? combing them with the AEBS low compression stroker kit would yield somewhere around a high 9 CR.. maybe the AEBS and these NISMO heads could be a great stage 1 "kit" with the ability to put on boost later on..
thats what we would like to be doing... running a motor around 9.5:1 using 8.5:1 pistons and these heads...
Old 04-07-2004, 09:11 AM
turbo-maxima

They are the VQ30 heads. You could of gotten those outta the junkyard for 100-300 dollars. Got them port and polished, 3 angle valve job for half of the pric eof those.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:54 PM
ether

do you know the part numbers of the VQ30 heads that are supposed to be the same ones?
Old 04-07-2004, 09:39 PM
denic79

how much of a difference do the nismo cams make?
Old 04-07-2004, 10:44 PM
spazpilot

Originally posted by denic79
how much of a difference do the nismo cams make?

Not much if you consider how much its going to cost:

1100 for cam approx
1000 for install approx

gives you a total of 15-20rwhp
Old 04-08-2004, 05:11 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

cams alone are not worth doing....

cams, headers and a remapped ecu is a whole different ball game
Old 04-11-2004, 01:17 AM
ether

if one wanted to use these heads in conjuction with the AEBS stroker kit to get as the end result a NA engine running CR of around 11.5, how could one achive this given that the piston choices for the stroker kit with normal heads are 8.5 or 11.0/11.5 pistons? would custom pistons be needed or is there another solution?
Old 04-11-2004, 01:54 AM
spazpilot

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
cams alone are not worth doing....

cams, headers and a remapped ecu is a whole different ball game

Z1:

you know just as well as I do that if you would do everything you listed best rwhp would be about 260-280. For the money spent the greddy kit without the intercooler alone would make more power(not that I would run it that way). It is just to expensive to make this car a N/A monster
Old 04-11-2004, 08:17 AM
Jax350z

Cams, Headers, and a remapped ECU is almost as much as a S/C for way less hp.

The stroker kit is the only thing so far N/A that could give scary hp.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:21 AM
Jax350z

Of course if 350EVO will ever finish their final drive that would make a big difference in accelleration. They claim our car is geared to 194mph top speed. Changing that down to like 160 (I don't think it even changes it that far) would deffinetly not hurt my feelings.

Maybe thats a little off topic from your hp discussion, but I look at things in terms of how fast I could go.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:34 AM
spazpilot

You shouldn't put gears like that when you have trouble keep traction to begain with. Also, a setup like mine for instance, I would want something more like 3.08. that way I would spend more time in the boost area and less time spinning the tires. Those gears are just going to make it harder to drive the car without slicks and just think how bad your mpg will be if this is your daily driver.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:20 AM
turbo-maxima

Originally posted by ether
do you know the part numbers of the VQ30 heads that are supposed to be the same ones?
They are not going to market it as VQ30 head. Its design is based on VQ30 head. Just find some from the junk yard and port and polish them.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:21 AM
ZRAYGO

Default boost?

Originally posted by spazpilot
You shouldn't put gears like that when you have trouble keep traction to begain with. Also, a setup like mine for instance, I would want something more like 3.08. that way I would spend more time in the boost area and less time spinning the tires. Those gears are just going to make it harder to drive the car without slicks and just think how bad your mpg will be if this is your daily driver.
Spaz,

How much boost are you running? have you changed your internals at all?
Old 04-11-2004, 10:52 AM
Jax350z

Originally posted by spazpilot
What width tires do you use? I was going to try and get some 295 Nitto 555's in the rear if I ended up with the final gear or FI.

Wouldn't the change in the gear ratio cause you to accellerate faster throughout the RPM band?

The 350EVO 3.97 setup doesn't seem like it would be crazy overboard to me. Of course I wouldn't know for sure what it would do to fuel milage until someone is the test dummy for us with it.

P.S. I do drive this car to work every day since my wife drives our other to work, so for me it is my daily driver. That is why I want to go wide on tires.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you know just as well as I do that if you would do everything you listed best rwhp would be about 260-280. For the money spent the greddy kit without the intercooler alone would make more power(not that I would run it that way). It is just to expensive to make this car a N/A monster
I would agree the turbo would make the power edge over NA, but long term reliability, and more importantly to me, long term maintenance of these kits ia whole other ballgame

While we have the turbo kits on the shelf, and I ahve a shop with techs at my disposal, I have not nor will not be turbo'ing my own car - been there, done that, and have sufficiently learned my lesson.

Not to say the turbo kits are not excellent ways to make big power - they certainly are. but over time, there are things that need to be tweaked and tightened, and paid attention to, that are simply not present in an NA setup. For those that want an install it and forget it type setup, NA is the way to go IMHO (though diferent strokes for different folks)

Adam
Old 04-11-2004, 02:44 PM
spazpilot

Default Re: boost?

Originally posted by ZRAYGO
Spaz,

How much boost are you running? have you changed your internals at all?

running 8psi daily driving and have no internal work done. runs like a champ.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:53 PM
spazpilot

Originally posted by Jax350z
What width tires do you use? I was going to try and get some 295 Nitto 555's in the rear if I ended up with the final gear or FI.

Wouldn't the change in the gear ratio cause you to accellerate faster throughout the RPM band?

The 350EVO 3.97 setup doesn't seem like it would be crazy overboard to me. Of course I wouldn't know for sure what it would do to fuel milage until someone is the test dummy for us with it.

P.S. I do drive this car to work every day since my wife drives our other to work, so for me it is my daily driver. That is why I want to go wide on tires.

I have 275 sitting on 19x11. waiting that one day toyo will come out with a 295. I just believe that the 3.97 will be a little too much for a daily driver. If you were to make it a drag queen or a track car I would say go for it. But from past experience, yes the car will move quicker but you better have the traction for it. I can spin my wheels all through 4th so why would I make my traction problem worst. As for milage think about what rpm you are now and add about 1000. So you could only imagine how bad gas milage will be, but like you said I have not seen the gears in action on a street car. My theory could be all wrong and they might not be that bad for daily driving. I am just comparing it to when I changed the gear on the stang from 3.08 to 3.55 to 3.73.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:15 PM
aznkukuboi

how much whp can you get from all of nismo's parts?

Quick Reply: NISMO 46cc Heads inspected... to be installed \m/, ^_^ .\m/