Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

is the nismo LSD a DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 10:38 PM
DeeZee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is the nismo LSD a DIY?

im going to get one of these sometime in the future, and im wondering how hard it is to install? ive never done an LSD before? but i have access to a lift, tools, and im pretty good with tools. i have the stock viscus LSD in my track model now. any advice? how long should this job take? i have put in every other part on this car so for. (i had the seats done in leather, so i guess no EVERY part?) i am CONFIDENT that with a decent set of directions, i can do it myself!
Old 01-21-2004, 04:30 AM
FLY BY Z

No.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:18 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We will be selling a swap out kit soon... where you take off the housing and put in the new one containing the NISMO LSD and you mail us back your original housing...

more details soon...
Old 01-21-2004, 10:13 AM
manrey

Swap out, im in. Count me in Jason.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:37 PM
DeeZee

sounds cool! how much????
Old 01-21-2004, 02:33 PM
VQ35DES

Youll swap for a base differential too right?
Old 01-21-2004, 09:03 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take a look at the whole process as defined in the shop manuel, theirs no way anyone can to such a swap, too many specialized tools and the talent required to shime it just so to spec. Jason's idea is the way to go.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:08 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
We will be selling a swap out kit soon... where you take off the housing and put in the new one containing the NISMO LSD and you mail us back your original housing...

more details soon...
jason, care to mail me an automatic touring housing (stock LSD and 3.35 gears) to swap for my touring manual rear (stock LSD and 3.53 gears)?? I really want the higher gears. We can do it even trade or whatever.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:12 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by VQ35DES
Youll swap for a base differential too right?

all we need is the housing so yes...

I need to write up all the info...

it will be along the lines of the crawford plenum swap... how we refund an amount after the pumpkin is returned...

we will also offer a rear end that will not need to be returned... it will be a higher price though...

and remember.. the cost of the rear end will include the mechanic building up the Nismo LSD...
Old 01-21-2004, 09:14 PM
RedShft

whats the difference b/w the Nismo LSD and the stock one?
Old 01-21-2004, 09:14 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by FLY BY Z
jason, care to mail me an automatic touring housing (stock LSD and 3.35 gears) to swap for my touring manual rear (stock LSD and 3.53 gears)?? I really want the higher gears. We can do it even trade or whatever.
I can get you a R&P and bearings needed for that swap...

we do it with G35 auto drivers all the time...

I am working on putting together a kit for AT drivers to go to the 3.53 R&P and Nismo LSD...

I guess I can get you a stock LSD if you wanted... but would be as much as the NISMO... so no point in that really...
Old 01-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by RedShft
whats the difference b/w the Nismo LSD and the stock one?

stock is a viscous type... locks at 30%

nismo is clutch type... 40% 60% 80% lock up...

the Nismo will push you through the turns... when turning slow, you will hear your wheels pop for the wheels are locked to turn at the same speed...

the inside wheel of the turn spins less then the out side wheel on a turn... so with the LSD, the higher the % the less it alows the other wheel to spin more or less..

hard to explain... ill have to draw a graphic.. (turns on mac)
Old 01-21-2004, 09:23 PM
RedShft

gotcha...

btw, you got a PM
Old 01-21-2004, 09:25 PM
o snap its eric

i dont quiet get it too
Old 01-21-2004, 09:32 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

which part?

how LSD's work?

or how im going to have this swap done...
Old 01-21-2004, 09:39 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

typing...
Old 01-21-2004, 09:41 PM
o snap its eric

How it works and how nismo works better than stock.

Hurry get the typing slave! JK
Old 01-21-2004, 09:50 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cut and paste from a previous post of mine.

On VLS vs clutch type. The stock viscous limited slip works by immersing a series of round plates, alternately attached to an axle or the differential housing, in a fancy viscous goo. The plates in a viscous limited slip don't actually touch each other. Instead, they are separated by a thin film of this viscous goo. When you go around a corner, and the A and D plates start turning at different speeds, the goo trapped between them heats up. The viscious goo expands and thickens under this shear load, making it more difficult for the plates to go different speeds. While the fluid tries to lock the plates together, the tires try to rip them apart. At low speeds and gentle turns, the fluid doesn't get thickened much and the tires win (remember that point). Boot it and try to spin one tire and the plates suddenly are going dramatically different speeds. The fluid thickens just as dramatically and, with the stock tires, the fluid wins, locking both rear tires together. A little less throttle and you have the smooth, seamless acceleration Nissan engineers had in mind. If you have really sticky tires, though, the tires win, and the long, gooey molecules of the stock diff's viscious snot get sheared into smaller, less thermo-reactive visco-thickening stuff. Apply
power in a corner results in a moment of inner tire spin before the sheared and demoralized fluid gathers the courage to rein in the inner tire. Viscous limited slips have inherent limitations in how much torque they can transfer through their fluid medium. Conventional, clutch-type limited slips, however, can be built to handle the massive torque loads of racecars on slicks. They tend to be less refined and seamless than viscous units, but they are more capable since the real magic of a clutch-type limited slip, however, is how the clutches are pressed together harder under load The more torque you apply, the harder the clutch plates grab. This is the fundamental difference between a clutch-type and a viscous limited slip. The stock viscous diff responds to a difference in wheel speeds, relying on the slipping plates to heat the fluid and tighten, which means it must react to wheelspin after it begins. The clutch type responds to torque, so it reacts before the inside tire has a chance to spin and is hence more effective as a slip limiting device.

Last edited by Gsedan35; 01-21-2004 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:55 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

basicly what a LSD does is keep the other wheel on the drive axle turning...

on a car with NO LSD, on a burn out, the power will go to the wheel that has least resistance to turn. So if one wheel is in a little bit of water, and the other on dry pavement, the one on the water will spin while the other stands still. That is an open rear end.

on the stock LSD, it locks at 30%... so, taking the same situation above... one tire in water, the other on dry pavement. while the tire in the water will spin first, as soon as the rear ends gearing see the other wheel is not turning it will lock up and make it turn. so rather then only one wheel spinning.. both will even though one has less resistance..

on the NISMO lsd you can have a higher percentage lock up... basicly, the higher the percentage the less it alows the other wheel to slip...

so..

Pulling into a parking spot with no LSD; the wheels can turn freely... so on a sharp turn, the wheel closest to the inner radius of the turn spins less then the out side wheel needs to turn. but with an open rear end, the inside wheel spins lets say 1 time for every 4 times the out side wheel turns..

Pulling into a parking spot with a low percentage lock up LSD; the wheel on the inner part of the turn spins say 1 time... with the LSD at a low percentage it will only let the out side wheel turn 2 times for every 1 time the inner wheel spins... in order for the car to complete the turn with the front tires forcing the car to turn in that direction, the out side tire must skip to keep up with the rest of the car...

Pulling into a parking spot with a high percentage lock up LSD; the car will do the turn, but for every 1 time the inner wheel spins the out side wheel will turn 1.2 times and skip alot...

you dont get the performance gaince when pulling into parking spots... but... on a turn... with the LSD, the rear end pushes you though the corner rather then the front pulling you into it...

it is a new driving experience...

and since you have both wheels spinning the same speed pretty much all the time with an LSD, it is easier to loose the rear end and spin out if you are not carefull with your driving, but... it is amazing having a locking rear end when racing or drifting

was that helpfull? i hope...
Old 01-21-2004, 09:56 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by Gsedan35
Cut and paste from a previous post of mine.

On VLS vs clutch type. The stock viscous limited slip works by immersing a series of round plates, alternately attached to an axle or the differential housing, in a fancy viscous goo. The plates in a viscous limited slip don't actually touch each other. Instead, they are separated by a thin film of this viscous goo. When you go around a corner, and the A and D plates start turning at different speeds, the goo trapped between them heats up. The viscious goo expands and thickens under this shear load, making it more difficult for the plates to go different speeds. While the fluid tries to lock the plates together, the tires try to rip them apart. At low speeds and gentle turns, the fluid doesn't get thickened much and the tires win (remember that point). Boot it and try to spin one tire and the plates suddenly are going dramatically different speeds. The fluid thickens just as dramatically and, with the stock tires, the fluid wins, locking both rear tires together. A little less throttle and you have the smooth, seamless acceleration Nissan engineers had in mind. If you have really sticky tires, though, the tires win, and the long, gooey molecules of the stock diff's viscious snot get sheared into smaller, less thermo-reactive visco-thickening stuff. Apply
power in a corner results in a moment of inner tire spin before the sheared and demoralized fluid gathers the courage to rein in the inner tire. Viscous limited slips have inherent limitations in how much torque they can transfer through their fluid medium. Conventional, clutch-type limited slips, however, can be built to handle the massive torque loads of racecars on slicks. They tend to be less refined and seamless than viscous units, but they are more capable since the real magic of a clutch-type limited slip, however, is how the clutches are pressed together harder under load The more torque you apply, the harder the clutch plates grab. This is the fundamental difference between a clutch-type and a viscous limited slip. The stock viscous diff responds to a difference in wheel speeds, relying on the slipping plates to heat the fluid and tighten, which means it must react to wheelspin after it begins. The clutch type responds to torque, so it reacts before the inside tire has a chance to spin and is hence more effective as a slip limiting device.
:thumbs up: the technical post

Quick Reply: is the nismo LSD a DIY?