Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Clutch pedal engagement point...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Caidrac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal engagement point...

I've had my 2005 Touring for 3 weeks. I immediately adjusted the clutch pedal to grab lower (closer to the floor), as I was used to with my MR2's... I actually didn't get it as low as I would have liked without defeating the cruise control switch. I adjusted the CC switch as low as I could, and was satisfied with the engagement point. Today, it again seems to have started engaging at the top of the clutch pedal travel. It doesn't make any sense to me... I haven't been able to crawl under the car yet, but I thought I'd lob a lazy fastball over the plate here and see if anyone has a simple explanation who knows the car well, and can knock it over the fence before I figure it out myself... Thanks!
Old 04-07-2013, 06:44 PM
redline06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What exactly are you adjusting underneath the car? The clutch pedal adjustment is on the pedal assembly itself. Try to get used to a high engagement point there's a reason for it, helps with fast gear changes because you don't have to press the pedal all the way.
I don't know what it really is but people on here keep talking about some RJM clutch pedal mod, from my understanding it does what you're trying to do. I may be wrong though .
Old 04-07-2013, 07:16 PM
TempestZ

Redline 06 is correct, RJM Clutch will allow you to change the engagement point where you would like it. I would invest in one if you are wanting to go through with it. It's cheap and has step by step instructions, so you could do it at home with basic hand tools. There are a couple threads in here in the Vendor market. look it up. you will not be disappionted
Old 04-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Caidrac

Originally Posted by redline06
What exactly are you adjusting underneath the car? The clutch pedal adjustment is on the pedal assembly itself.
At the pedal is where I did the adjustment I mentioned... I'm not trying to adjust anything under the car, just look to see what might be going on at the other end of the hydraulics to explain the sudden change...

I will look into this RJM thing, but I'm not sure why it's necessary because I got the result I wanted by adjusting the pedal... It's just that there seemed to be a sudden change from grabbing low to grabbing high again...

Thanks to both for the input...
Old 04-09-2013, 12:12 PM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just an FYI if you adjusted the factory clutch rod more than a few turns you may be in for an expensive repair shortly. Your clutch rod clevis pin should have 1-2mm of free play when fully up-> an easy check is to see if you can freely spin the clevis pin at the attachment point. If the clutch rod is pinned down hard then the factory assist spring mechanism is continuously pushing downward force on the pedal/mastercyliner and smoking your clutch. The shifts feel nice and smooth for a while after adjusting as the clutch isn't fully engaging or locking up hard with its full clamping force and causing slip on each shift. Eventually the flywheel starts to glaze over after a week or two of hard driving leading to a rapid clutch death.

Many people tout the clutch rod adjustment all the time but very few know the danger of adjusting the stock system down and many more have been burned by it over the years so I'd caution anyone against going too far with this seemingly harmless mod. As well if the MC isn't fully returning 100% up on each pedal stroke the fluid transfer port between the reservoir and the high pressure side doesn't open to allow fluid to balance properly for hot/cold fluid expansion causing the engagement point to wander as the car goes from cold to hot.

The RJM pedal exists because it offers a safe way of lowering the pedal engagement point and completely changing the feel of the pedal system... the AFP system adjustments go far beyond simply allowing you to screw that rod in or out.

Ryan @ RJM
Old 04-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets say back in the day my "friend" adjusted his pedal based upon a buzzardmountain thread.

How would this friend return his pedal to stock if he doesn't remember the details? Since it was like 10 years ago.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:59 PM
TempestZ

^^^ I would tell you to tell your "friend" to get the RJM clutch mod. would be the best fix for that "friend" haha
Old 04-09-2013, 02:06 PM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Tackett
Lets say back in the day my "friend" adjusted his pedal based upon a buzzardmountain thread.

How would this friend return his pedal to stock if he doesn't remember the details? Since it was like 10 years ago.
Tackett I'd tell your "friend" that he has nothing to worry about as he didn't over do this adjustment at the time 10 years ago. When done a little it helps... when overdone the factory assist/return mechanism switches to the oem clutch burning helper Its a very fine line.

Since the OP has suddenly started to notice clutch feel changes happening all on their own (engagement point raising back up again) after making changes a week ago I'd highly recommend checking the pedal system carefully for the above issue in case it is doing damage.
If I had to guess in the first days after the mod the engaement was lower as expected but then as time goes on and the friction surfaces glaze over from slippage the pedal now needs to be released higher and higher before it can generate enough friction/clamp load to lock up... just a theory.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Tackett

I'll be sure to let him know. Thanks for the piece Of mind.

I do want to get your clutch mod, just haven't had the funds yet.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Caidrac

Originally Posted by RJM Performance
Just an FYI if you adjusted the factory clutch rod more than a few turns you may be in for an expensive repair shortly...

Ryan @ RJM
This is the kind of answer I was hoping to get. Like I said I was so used to the MR2 clutch pedal, but I guess the clutch in this car wasn't meant to engage so low (much like the BMW I owned 13 years ago), and thus, why you came up with this product. I'm pretty convinced the sudden change was in my head, because I decided it was still grabbing low, but with less pedal travel, I noticed it was still at the top of the travel... I looked over your site, including the installation page, and it seems like a good solution. It's pricey, so I'll have to debate just getting used to a higher clutch, or buying your product. In the meantime, I brought it back up a bit tonight... Sincere thanks for your input.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Caidrac

If I were to put an order in soon, you would ship as soon as you get them in?
Old 04-09-2013, 05:13 PM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Caidrac
This is the kind of answer I was hoping to get. Like I said I was so used to the MR2 clutch pedal, but I guess the clutch in this car wasn't meant to engage so low (much like the BMW I owned 13 years ago), and thus, why you came up with this product. I'm pretty convinced the sudden change was in my head, because I decided it was still grabbing low, but with less pedal travel, I noticed it was still at the top of the travel... I looked over your site, including the installation page, and it seems like a good solution. It's pricey, so I'll have to debate just getting used to a higher clutch, or buying your product. In the meantime, I brought it back up a bit tonight... Sincere thanks for your input.
Caidrac, you're very welcome. I would hate to see anyone suffer a serious failure in the first weeks of ownership for something everyone talks about but few understand the potential dangers of.

For the pedal kits I'm expecting another shipment of laser cut parts early next week to begin fabrication of the next batch and will be shipping all waiting orders ASAP as they get completed. Technically the 'Spring Sale' I put on last week was to end once stock sold out however I've left the sale price links active on my website so you can still get in on the $20 Off sale pricing this week with a pre-order towards next weeks batch.

Thanks
Ryan @ RJM
Old 04-09-2013, 05:21 PM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Tackett

I'll be sure to let him know. Thanks for the piece Of mind.

I do want to get your clutch mod, just haven't had the funds yet.
You're welcome, I didn't mean to scare anyone but I've seen it before where people posted they'd successfully lowered their pedal and then were dead on the side of the road a few weeks later. Like anything a little in moderation is fine but going too far has consequences. Having been modded for 10years or so I think your doing excellent if its still running on the original clutch.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:29 PM
hellman_x

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my 2005 Touring for 3 weeks. I immediately adjusted the clutch pedal to grab lower (closer to the floor), as I was used to with my MR2's... I actually didn't get it as low as I would have liked without defeating the cruise control switch. I adjusted the CC switch as low as I could, and was satisfied with the engagement point. Today, it again seems to have started engaging at the top of the clutch pedal travel. It doesn't make any sense to me... I haven't been able to crawl under the car yet, but I thought I'd lob a lazy fastball over the plate here and see if anyone has a simple explanation who knows the car well, and can knock it over the fence before I figure it out myself... Thanks!
You don't have to crawl under the car, there is a bolt and a pin right behind your clutch pedal. Loosen the bolt and turn the pin a couple of turns and your should be good to go.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:16 AM
Tackett

You're welcome, I didn't mean to scare anyone but I've seen it before where people posted they'd successfully lowered their pedal and then were dead on the side of the road a few weeks later. Like anything a little in moderation is fine but going too far has consequences. Having been modded for 10years or so I think your doing excellent if its still running on the original clutch.
Yep. Still oem clutch after all these years.

I'm actually amazed at how well my car has aged. Other than some signs of age on the paint, it still looks like i rolled it from the show room. Better really.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Caidrac

Alright Ryan. I ordered your kit today. Not really looking forward to the installation, but this clutch is still driving me nuts. (by the way, I think you got me confused with the other guy at one point in the above post...) I just did mine a couple weeks ago.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:41 AM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thumbs up

Alright Ryan. I ordered your kit today. Not really looking forward to the installation, but this clutch is still driving me nuts. (by the way, I think you got me confused with the other guy at one point in the above post...) I just did mine a couple weeks ago.
Caidrac, Thank you for your order. I pulled an all nighter last night and have (15) RJM 350Z kits shipping this morning so likely your's is on it's way or will be in tomorrows shipments The installation is really just a nuts and bolts operation once you get into it. The only difficult part is working under the dash. The install guide looks scary at first but it was writen so every step is fully detailed with photos and assumes the installer has zero install/ mechanical experiance. The guide could probably be cut down to about 1/4 its current length for most people who have turned a wrench or two in the past. Sorry if I got you confused when answering Tackett's question.