Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

To bore an engine out

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 04:09 PM
ranger5oh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most people only bore the engine when doing an overhaul. I had an old 350HO mustang that was bored, only to replace the pistons. There would be NO reason to bore this engine right now. Get a S/C or TT. Forced induction solves any horsepower problem you want to solve. Not to mention you will maintain good mpg with an s/c. Technology definitely wins the engine HP battle.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:14 PM
Jax350z

I really like the c-2 procharger package for the z, but its hard to explain to the wife why a fast car needs to be faster hehehe
Old 01-30-2004, 05:07 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by ranger5oh
Most people only bore the engine when doing an overhaul. I had an old 350HO mustang that was bored, only to replace the pistons. There would be NO reason to bore this engine right now. Get a S/C or TT. Forced induction solves any horsepower problem you want to solve. Not to mention you will maintain good mpg with an s/c. Technology definitely wins the engine HP battle.
I agree completely. In another life, I ran a boring bar for a motor rebuilding factory. .20 over was the standard, of course I made a couple of mistakes learning the job, so I took a couple of blocks to .30, one to .40, if remember correctly and another so far I had to sleeve it, furthering my expertise even more. You really want more air and FI is the easiest and cheapest route to big gains, not boring the iron sleeves in the block now.

CR in my MR2 Turbo was 8.8:1, and boost was 7psi w/intercooler. It had 200hp in a 2 liter 4, while the NA 2.2 liter base model had 130hp. 70hp more in a smaller engine was pretty good. $6K for about the same hp increase in the Z as my MR2T makes the S/C look cheap, you won't get that much increase in NA mods unless you added the Q45's V8 and doing an engine transplant is a huge undertaking and way more expensive than an S/C or turbo, not even considering the extra weight.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:19 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by Jax350z
Are the heads the top end? Would that be the same as boring out the intake and exaust on the engine, or are you talking about replacing something? I'm afraid your assuming I know more than I do about the top of the engine. I have studied alot recently, but I am relativly new to this whole car modding sceen.
The top end is everything above the cylinders. It would include the heads, everything in the heads (cams, ports, springs, retainers, etc.), the intake manifold (upper/lower), and some might say the throttle body and intake but I stop my definition at the intake manifold. I think with the new NISMO heads, the appropriate work done to them, and the right cam setup the car can put out that much more HP at a higher RPM. Yes, you would be replacing parts.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:35 PM
phile

that's alot man, why don't you start doing that b4 you consider FI?