Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Was gonna install my grounding kit today..but "NO!" they said...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 03:59 PM
Phatmitzu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was gonna install my grounding kit today..but "NO!" they said...

I was gonna install my grounding kit today, but the techs told me not to do it. They looked at the installation printout and told me that the magnetic field it produces will harm the engine instead of helping it??

They pointed out that first, the cables are too thick(40's? got them from z327) and it will create too much magnetic field. Then they said ends are connected to the engine itself, may effect the spark plug, they should be connected to the radiator. And, some of the ends are connected to the firewall, which on the other side is full of electronics and computer chips, magnetic field there is def. not a good thing. Last, they said some parts of the car is suppost to be blocked off from power and magnetic, connecting the grounding kit will let power and magnetic field running thu the car/engine bay which may actually harm the electroic devices. It will not gain horse power and it gives chances to mess up your electroic or chances to have power leak with this many outlets...

And theres this customer there that used to be a race driver says the same thing. So?? Are they right?

Last edited by Phatmitzu; 01-31-2004 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2004, 04:02 PM
wren57
Banned

Well... I have a grounding kit installed, zero problems... I think these guys are nutcases...
Old 01-31-2004, 04:32 PM
2003z

I've had one for over a year with no problems, but it is a copy of the factory backed nismo, 5 wires, nothing to the firewall, but nissan sells it as an option in japan, and I don't think an extra wire to the firewall will hurt anything.
http://www.japanparts.com/NissanPart...33/pic/004.JPG
Its a Nissan part, how can it hurt anything????
Old 01-31-2004, 05:24 PM
Road Warrior

total bs if you ask me....they would not sell these kits if they were detrimental to the electronics....these have the same design as all the other kits out there and i have never had a problem with them....peace out
Old 01-31-2004, 05:28 PM
B2BigAl

Magnetic Field, how is it going to create a magnetic field? I could be wrong, but I've never heard of a ground wire creating a magnetic field. When you say techs, are we talking nissan certified techs, or some guy at bubba's garage? In any case, I love my grounding kit, it was well worth the money I think. If it was going to cause problems, don't you think there would be a ton of people on here reporting problems considering the vast number of people who have them. I'd definitely get a second opinion.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:38 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

There are HUNDREDS of us with a grounding kit and of all the mods we have read about on this an other boards, I have NEVER heard a single problem from a grounding kit.

I think they are incorrect.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:48 PM
Phatmitzu

Originally posted by 2003z
...Its a Nissan part, how can it hurt anything????
...True

Originally posted by B2BigAl
Magnetic Field, how is it going to create a magnetic field?...I'd definitely get a second opinion.
You guys ARE MY 2nd OPINION!!

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
There are HUNDREDS of us with a grounding kit and of all the mods we have read about on this an other boards, I have NEVER heard a single problem from a grounding kit.

I think they are incorrect.
Nuf said...installing mine tomorrow!!

Thanks all!

Old 01-31-2004, 06:41 PM
islandsnow

yeah, i actually had a nissan hdqtrs (carson/gardena) tech guy take a look at my car and he didn't say anything was wrong with my grounding kit. I'm sure it's okay or Sun Auto would be out of business.
Old 01-31-2004, 06:44 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Was gonna install my grounding kit today..but "NO!" they said...

Originally posted by Phatmitzu
I was gonna install my grounding kit today, but the techs told me not to do it. They looked at the installation printout and told me that the magnetic field it produces will harm the engine instead of helping it??
Please tell me we didn't tell you that!! Hell, we even use them on our race cars. For our car's they didn't make any difference, but it couldn't hurt either.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:08 PM
alphared

wow thats some of the biggest bs i've ever heard. He would've been more believable if he said that it create a choke effect (flux when ground is run thru steel) instead of producing mag field.
There is no way that a ground can produce any magnetic field. To get a magnet in an electrical system require electrical current (which the ground has zero).
Even if there was a magnetic field, it wouldn't even harm your engine. The engine is mostly aluminum and magnets don't have any effect on them (or very little) If a magnetic field is that strong to cause damage to your engine, your ecu would be fried by that point. Even in that case, the engine would outlast you if a magnetic field was that strong.
If I were you, I would think about changing dealership for service. Clearly, they either are dishonest or not very knowledgeable. In either case, your car is better elsewhere.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:28 PM
alex30327

What a joke! Your techs do not know Shiit! If I were you I would never go back to them!
Old 01-31-2004, 08:37 PM
Wedge

They are full of it as everyone has been saying. The grounding kit is just giving you a better current path than the one that is already there. There is a factory ground wire already attached to the body........and any metal that is connected anywhere to the body is part of that circuit. Go ahead and put on your grounding kit with no worries.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:16 PM
FairladyZ

Magnetic Feild, lmao!
Old 02-01-2004, 10:42 AM
ss350

Default lol?

lol how the hell can a grounding wire create a magnetic field?....hahahhaha...man those guys are full of sh*t
Old 02-01-2004, 12:41 PM
Xeinth

Default Re: lol?

Originally posted by ss350
lol how the hell can a grounding wire create a magnetic field?....hahahhaha...man those guys are full of sh*t
Well of course they generate a mangetic field, if they didnt you would not need them. ANY moving current generates a magnetic field. Thats how electromagnets work...

But of course that doesnt mean its going to create a dangerous field. Compared to the alternator its NOTHING.

I would be concerned about a grounding kit for other reasons, but not reliability or safety. Namely that they can pick up noise, thus reducing performance, when the car is under heavy load. This is due to the ground loops created, and the fact that all of the noise from the spark plugs, alternator, stereo or whatever will be coupled into ALL signal lines. Adding ground loops is literally an antenna that picks up noise.

X

Last edited by Xeinth; 02-01-2004 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:29 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Codswallop

Get new mechanics. These guys were BSing BIG time.

The current in a ground wire like these is small, thuse the magnetic field is small. The magnetic field is VANISHINGLY small when compared to other fields in the engine compartment (coils, starter motor, etc.)

As for grounding parts that are not grounded virtually every car made today (with the exception of some exotics) use a negative ground chassis. this means the engine and the firewall are grounded together.

As for the driver, I can only assume he is a better driver than he is a mechanic.

Old 02-01-2004, 09:15 PM
alphared

Default Re: Re: lol?

Originally posted by Xeinth
Well of course they generate a mangetic field, if they didnt you would not need them. ANY moving current generates a magnetic field. Thats how electromagnets work...

But of course that doesnt mean its going to create a dangerous field. Compared to the alternator its NOTHING.

I would be concerned about a grounding kit for other reasons, but not reliability or safety. Namely that they can pick up noise, thus reducing performance, when the car is under heavy load. This is due to the ground loops created, and the fact that all of the noise from the spark plugs, alternator, stereo or whatever will be coupled into ALL signal lines. Adding ground loops is literally an antenna that picks up noise.

X
that better be a joke, cause thats alot of bs there
Old 02-01-2004, 09:27 PM
Xeinth

Alphared,

Nope, no BS. Heheh these grounding kit posts bring me out like no other =).

What do you find to be incorrect?

X
Old 02-02-2004, 03:52 AM
FairladyZ

If its so bad then why does Nissan ground everything, including the exhaust?
Old 02-02-2004, 06:01 AM
BrickydZ

Get a new mechanic.

and on the way out remind them that it is a grounding kit not a flux capacitor.....

Quick Reply: Was gonna install my grounding kit today..but "NO!" they said...