Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

My current street/strip motor setup in mind to build...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 10:37 PM
VQ35Kompressor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My current street/strip motor setup in mind to build...

My current street/strip motor setup in mind to build:

P&P Head (A secret pro shop in Southern Cali)
Upgraded valve springs, shims, retainers
Tomei 268 cams
Some bigger injectors possibly
Looking at the Crawford plenum
Stock head gasket

SGP 11.5:1 pistons
Stock rods
Lightened crank (stock too damn heavy!)
J&S Knock Sensor
Researching TS ECU
Apex'i AFC
Looking in to XERD Headers
And some trick on the exhaust...hehe...

Stronger clutch to handle the power (if this setup makes enough power to make me happy)
Lightened Flywheel

Goal: 330+ RWHP & 300+ RWTQ / G35 Coupe on the stupid 91 gas (timing will be dropped for daily - trying not to go too high on compression then 91 won't do anymore; so we'll see)

*I'm looking in to building this in the next few short months...if it sees day, I will keep you all posted...=)
Old 02-03-2004, 08:13 AM
azrael

just curious.. what measurements have you taken to determine the stock crank is "too damn heavy" ?

according to the SAE papers Nissan published about the 3rd-generation VQ engine (the current VQ35DE), their top goal was to reduce rotating mass. One of the top ways this was done was lightening of the connecting rods and the crank.

My personal feeling is that the crank should be a little stronger and balanced. I'd like to see an aftermarket forged and balanced crank, aimed at forced induction setups. I've heard that the crank and main bearing assembly tends to give way at around 650 crank/flywheel HP.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:20 PM
VQ35Kompressor

Reason why I'm looking in to ways to lighten the crank is so that I can reduce rotational mass. The more the better, since this setup is for N/A. 2nd reason is trying to increase more rpm's. I expect minimal gains in tq, but pray for more on top end. So these are the two reasons why I want to lighten the crank "even" more; Now with that in mind, I might even go with the lightest rods I can find on the market, but that is still in the air, because rods can get expensive, and gains can be only a bit marginal.

If I was looking in to boosting, of course I'll go with the strongest components on available, but N/A, light weight parts is the way to go.