Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Porting and polishing. piston size. Cam. Lift. Stroke

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 09:05 PM
Waynesg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porting and polishing. piston size. Cam. Lift. Stroke

Hey room, I'm brand new to my 350z I'm on g35 site. I have a few questions but really need professional help with my engine build. I am building my spare vq35de from the bottom up with the intention of a twin turbo setup. One of my questions is, when it comes to porting the heads and airflow mixed with a cam and new oversize valve train. What's the best way to shape the heads for this build? Also is it ok to shave the guides? Should I work the bowl to lose some of the stock 10.1 compression to work with the turbo? Will it hurt if I was to knife edge the exhaust runners? What cam will work with a port job and 1mm over valves and springs? And what arm and pistons with the rite length for the cam? Thanks to anybody that can help. I need a real professional please.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:59 AM
jv350z

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like you need to talk to a professional.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:45 AM
Waynesg

Lol I'm sure I mentioned that a couple of times.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:32 AM
2bad240

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

What's your power goals and what tt kit.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:46 AM
Waynesg

I'd like to roll with a 500 hp EVERYDAY driver. I was lookin at the greddy. TT . I need to know where the best place to shave and shape. I've already cut the guides down flush with the bowl
Old 03-30-2015, 09:25 AM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

You can hit that easily with STOCK heads and cams.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:54 PM
Waynesg

Yea I know but with the option of adding more boost and hit the 1000. I meant 500hp for everyday driving but with a few turns of the boost another 500. I'm in no hurry, it's the original motor outta the car an I'm doing everything that I possibly can, from top to bottom. I'm doing the porting myself but I don't wanna take off too much. I opened the runners very min and shaved the guides and worked the bowl. But I heard that I should work the comp, chamber to lower the 10:1 compression for the turbos. And to also flow match every and all ports, cams and pistons. Any advice would be great.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:20 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Realistically, no professional head porter is gonna tell you how to port your heads properly on this forum. They learned what works by trial and testing at their expense and they make money doing the work for other people. So either you figure it out yourself or pay them.

I would suggest some reading on LS1 tech forums, as there is a ton of good info about head porting, obviously it is on different heads but the theory is solid and still applies.

I would not personally open up the chambers at all, too much risk of messing with the combustion efficiency, rather just use a thicker gasket or different pistons. Changing chamber shapes without knowing what works is a recipe for disaster, even more so considering that the VQ heads flow very well out of the box.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:01 PM
Waynesg

So how do I know if I've taken off too much meat? I don't think I have because I only used sanding rolls. More or less just cleaned them up a bit. Didn't contour anything. When I sanded the castings down, I just blended to the bowls. In the bowl I cut the guides down, blended back of bowl with the rest. I've also knife edged the runners (intake and exhaust) how can I tell if I've "blended or sanded" too much. I have the whole org. Motor out to play with. Got brand new one in the G. This is all practice for my new motor. Keep inn mind I'm going full twin turbo with total bottom end worked and heavy duty parts. Same as head parts. I'm just worried I might have went to car. All bowls look exact shape and size as each other. Better then org. What's the most cc's or cfm I could go before I know I've fkd my heads.