Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

New owner. Few questions regarding rear end noise.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 07:49 AM
z33dk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner. Few questions regarding rear end noise.

Hey guys,

I need some serious help, bunch of questions!

Ok, I just purchased this Z. Yay. It was a really good price. Had to pull it. However, there are little things here and there that's a little concerning since the initial excitement is over with.

1. When I'm going past 20 mph, I hear whirling noise from the back end. Not like whining noise but whirling noise. It seems to be very uniform so I'm assuming, it's something to do with rotational sound. I'm sure it's making at all speeds but just more noticeable once it hits 40 mph area. I tested it and it makes the noise whether I'm actually driving AND when I put in neutral and let it cruise. The noise is very audible. I have uploaded a sample on youtube link here.

2. I replaced the windshield wipers with Michelin HP. With sizes 20, 18, 18. Sizes are correct. It's a J hook type and when I put it on, it doesn't "click". When I put the windshields down at the normal position, there's a very slight play if I pull on it but it doesn't come off (since it's a J hook). Will this be ok? It shouldn't fly off while driving, using, in hard rain, or anything right?

3. Shift **** vibrates in neutral at stop. Not like jerking back and forth crazy but just noticeable vibration. I searched this and it seems like it's completely normal because the way our cars are designed but I just wanted to double check.

There isn't really anything else. I'm just really concerned about #1

Thanks guys!
Old 04-27-2015, 08:25 AM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

It may be your wheel bearings, I can't view the video at work so I can't hear anything.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:49 AM
RedxNemesis

Originally Posted by bith8791
It may be your wheel bearings, I can't view the video at work so I can't hear anything.
I concur. you can check by lifting up the rear end and wiggling the tire with your hands on the top/bottom and side to side. there should be no play at all while your doing this.

http://killcellulite.reviewspartner....ring-hub-.html

theres a video at the bottom of the page thats helpful.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:47 AM
z33dk

Originally Posted by RedxNemesis
I concur. you can check by lifting up the rear end and wiggling the tire with your hands on the top/bottom and side to side. there should be no play at all while your doing this. http://killcellulite.reviewspartner....ring-hub-.html theres a video at the bottom of the page thats helpful.
Ok thank you guys. I figured it was the bearing since it made the noise even at neutral. Do you think it may have something to do with huge *** spacers?

How much longer can I drive before I must replace it? I'm busy with school and work for next few weeks. I'm trying to get it worked on over the summer. Should be ok until then?
Old 04-27-2015, 09:49 AM
bith8791

If you're hearing it now, it should have already been replaced a while ago, I'd get them replaced as soon as possible, you don't want to be stranded with work and school.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:16 AM
z33dk

If you're hearing it now, it should have already been replaced a while ago, I'd get them replaced as soon as possible, you don't want to be stranded with work and school.
Damn it. You think it might be ok to just replace the bearing? Or would the hub be damaged too. I have a feeling I might have to replace it both. Hm.. I'll just have to get it checked out locally here.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:49 AM
bith8791

You're just gonna' have to take it in and see.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:06 AM
z33dk

You're just gonna' have to take it in and see.
Little update. I had time today to jack up the car and I wiggled the wheels from top to bottom. No free play. Then I did side to side. No free play. So it seems like the bearing might be fine? I'm not sure. How much force should I have put on to wiggle it? I put decent amount of force on it.