Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Engine Break in Period

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 08:10 PM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to end this post here... because obviously you "service manual" guys whom live by it as if it's the bible are the correct ones here.

If I ever see you on a track... get used to seeing my Z's ***.

End of discussion.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:13 PM
Jetpilot718

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, after thinking about what I posted earlier, I have come to this conclusion:

Its your car. Your money. Your metal. Do whatever the f*ck you want, and drive however you want to. Just dont tell other people that its a good idea to disobey the manual. Let them make that mistake for themselves.

Im officially retracting myself from this flame-fest. Have fun guys...
Old 02-18-2004, 02:47 AM
zzzya

Well I have a PhD in pharmaceutics and a doctorate degree in pharmacy and am a practicing pharmacist at the moment. I have been involved in quite a bit of real world laboratory testing as I worked in both a research lab and for a pharmaceutical company doing research. You are making the assumption that 1. Nissan did testing regarding the break-in period and 2. that it was done in a controlled manor. If Nissan will provide the actual proof behind the manual then I will look it over to see if their testing was completed in a controlled manor, if even completed at all. Until then I will listen to the real world engine builders, racers and individuals that I know and hear from on this topic who all say the rings must be seated properly and it will not happen if the engine does not go over 4k rpms. I should mention that if you never plan to push your car over 4k rpms then the manual's break-in procedure will work great for you. As far as my post being illegible, well I simply won't go there as that comment is not even worth it. It honestly makes me sad to see people who will not go out and talk to credible people, do their own research about a topic and create an opinion of their own based on sound information.

Originally posted by Jetpilot718
Buddy, you can't be serious with that post. Please tell me you were making an attempt at sarcasm...

Evidence is labratory testing that was conducted to find out the optimum engine break in schedule to produce maximum power and engine longevity.

Those manuals represent your "real world testing and experience" done in a controlled and variable environment.

As for your "considering the source", Id like to know what makes people on this forum such as yourself who dont believe in following the operation manual credible. Whats your education background? Im guessing your not an english major by your practically illegible post. Whats your R&D background? Racing background? Please inform myself, and the others waiting to hear about your credibility - which is far superior to Nissan Motors'.

I dont think I could fit enough roll-eyes icons in this post to truly express my disbelief of the incompetence of some people (so I'll just give ya one)
Old 02-18-2004, 05:53 AM
Road Warrior

Originally posted by zzzya
It honestly makes me sad to see people who will not go out and talk to credible people, do their own research about a topic and create an opinion of their own based on sound information.
well said....you don't need a phd in english to get your point across...out
Old 02-18-2004, 09:56 AM
2k3silver350z

Originally posted by n10zt
I've heard of your claim before and I was really skeptical. I went easy on my car by shifting around 3200 up until now with 1250 miles. I'll try to dyno it soon to see where my engine stands. Do you have more details on your dyno? Just want to be able to compare various factors.

If we can have more data or people who did "NOT" break in their car by the manual and have a higher than average base dyno then I'd be darned. Either way, I would like to know. I don't want to have to suffer next time around during break-in period only to have a sub-par base dyno performance.
whatelse do you want to know? since my first dyno i've added a few mods to the car so i can't do another baseline.

to give you an example, my dad who has been selling trucks (diesel and otherwise) for 25+ years doesn't believe in break-in either. it doesn't exist, a new truck is bought with 0-10 miles on the odometer and is immeadiately taken out and used for hundreds of thousands of miles being used throughout it's rev-range. driving it in the early stages like you plan to drive it allows the rings to seat properly and you will have less blow-by as a result. i still change my oil every 3000 miles and i have vitually no loss at all (but this could be attributed to the fact that i only use amsoil products).
Old 02-18-2004, 07:42 PM
PainProphet

Originally posted by FLY BY Z
What'd the five fingers say to the face?!?
SLAP!!! I'm Rick James *****!!! :P
Old 02-19-2004, 08:48 AM
Vash350Z

Originally posted by PainProphet
SLAP!!! I'm Rick James *****!!! :P

back on topic, im in the middle of my break in period, and i havent been babying it, but i have been beating the hell out of it either, i havent redlined the car yet but ive had a quite a few trips above 4k at at least 75% throttle, its always been my thoughts to break in a car how you are gonna drive it.

oh and ZZYA, im going to school for a pharmD, id love to pick your brain sometime!
Old 02-19-2004, 01:29 PM
milner

any one who believes a book that is a generic break in guid for every motor nissan makes needs to get into reality. the number one way race crews break in there motors for optimum realiabilty and performance is to go up and down every rpm range for a certain amount of time. i had a civic that i beat every day from the time i got it and it ran 100% the entire 145,000 miles that i owned it. and at 200,000 miles with the new owner it still runs strong. the one thing i learned about motors in my life is drive them the way you would from day one till the day you sell it. but if you dont keep up with basic maintance then you might as well throw the s$#t out cause it aint going to be good no mater how you break it in. i worked at two car dealerships and one thing you find out is they will do anything to void a warrenty and too keep from servicing a warrenty issue, hence there suggested break in period. blow by. get out of here with that. if ur that worried about it then put 10 bucks away a week for the next five years and then if u need new rings you'll have ur money. end of the frigen story.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:37 PM
zzzya

Originally posted by Vash350Z

oh and ZZYA, im going to school for a pharmD, id love to pick your brain sometime!
No problem, I am currently the director of pharmacy at a medium size hospital in Iowa, so if your looking for a job or a clinical practice location for some hours let me know. Always looking for more pharmacists