Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Drexler Differential?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 01:39 AM
MB037

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drexler Differential?

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone still on here is running a Drexler diff unit, I'm looking to hear of any comments regarding them, and how they have been performing.

Chime in if you could
Old 10-29-2016, 04:38 AM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

Never heard of such thing
Old 10-29-2016, 04:43 AM
MB037

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
Never heard of such thing
Just as a clarification, I'm referring to a brand, not a diff type.

They are used by many high end cars and heaps of race teams, but seeing they produce a 350Z model, I'm curious if anyone is running one, track or street
Old 10-29-2016, 06:55 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Not in the US, apparently. Quaife and WaveTrac both make a great 350Z diff.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:49 AM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

Yeah I'm talking brand. Never heard of
Old 10-29-2016, 03:31 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...exler-lsd.html

Very good unit, really not worth it unless doing a $300k a years racing effort
Old 10-29-2016, 03:43 PM
MB037

Originally Posted by terrasmak
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...exler-lsd.html

Very good unit, really not worth it unless doing a $300k a years racing effort
Thanks for the link, that was one of the few threads that specifically mentioned Drexler, so like with the replies above, I guess they aren't too common. Maybe more so in Europe, not sure.

Yeah, I would have to agree in that it is such a huge price to get one. You could probably get 2 Quaife units for the cost of the Drexler

I would assume with their extensive racing history that they are stupid strong though, and well proven with the big AMG and BMW cars. Also seems they do things slightly differently with lower preload values.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:25 PM
MB037

So I'm looking for a little bit more info here, but regarding general diff fitments with the 350Z's.

I purchased a used Drexler diff unit, which comes with the half shafts. I'd checked the application lists and saw they listed one P/N for a 350Z. Only after my purchase did I find a 3rd application list which mentions a 350Z model, and a shared 350z/370z model unit.

My thinking was this was for the HR 350z and the 370z, both being very similar. I contacted a rep who told me that there is a difference in the crown wheel gear offset.

In my searching though, I haven't found anything like this mentioned anywhere with people fitting aftermarket diffs to their cars. The only mentions I've seen are to do with the different half shafts, or modifying the half shafts as per Quaife's drawings. As far as I'm concerned, that takes care of the lateral alignment, and I would have thought that shimming is part of the install to make sure the gears are meshing properly in terms of their vertical axis.

The reps reply back was that no, the units are manufactured for the specific application. If they do not line up, they do not line up, etc. So I'm stuck with a diff unit for a DE model Z, while I own an HR Z.

Have I missed something here? I know that they should know their units of course, I just find it hard to see that one sole manufacturer would design their diffs this way, while noone else mentions it.

Last edited by MB037; 11-04-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:02 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by MB037
Thanks for the link, that was one of the few threads that specifically mentioned Drexler, so like with the replies above, I guess they aren't too common. Maybe more so in Europe, not sure.

Yeah, I would have to agree in that it is such a huge price to get one. You could probably get 2 Quaife units for the cost of the Drexler

I would assume with their extensive racing history that they are stupid strong though, and well proven with the big AMG and BMW cars. Also seems they do things slightly differently with lower preload values.
Sorry, can't answer your specific 350Z application questions but can confirm that yes, Drexler Motorsports is a pretty big deal in the Euro market - among the OEMs: AMG, BMW M, Alpina, VW, etc. The LSD in my SL55 is a Drexler unit - or so I've been told/read.

Only thing I know technically about it is it isn't a viscous nor gear type (Quaife, Torsen) unit; rather, actual clutches. And that's the extent of my knowledge of it thus far.

My original E55 supposedly/allegedly also had one but I wouldn't have a clue about that.... ex-wife got that car so I never had to deal with anything. Hahahaha!
Old 11-04-2016, 10:15 PM
MB037

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Sorry, can't answer your specific 350Z application questions but can confirm that yes, Drexler Motorsports is a pretty big deal in the Euro market - among the OEMs: AMG, BMW M, Alpina, VW, etc. The LSD in my SL55 is a Drexler unit - or so I've been told/read.

Only thing I know technically about it is it isn't a viscous nor gear type (Quaife, Torsen) unit; rather, actual clutches. And that's the extent of my knowledge of it thus far.

My original E55 supposedly/allegedly also had one but I wouldn't have a clue about that.... ex-wife got that car so I never had to deal with anything. Hahahaha!
Cheers for the reply, yeah that's all I had been able to glean from looking around the net. Lot's of Euro high end stuff, and a lot of racing applications. Not much in the way of details on any of their websites.

I think it's a 8 plate clutch either side, moly plates. This one is adjustable, "1.5" way with 2 different lock percentage settings. I think they custom build them when you order one though, so it's setup however you need it to be.

It's the fitment that is got me a little bit baffled. Another hour spent searching and still I cannot find anyone mention anything about pinion/wheel gear alignment between models, bar the different half shafts.
I find plenty of people talking about putting 350 diffs into G35's and 370's though...

Last edited by MB037; 11-04-2016 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:30 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

They are all interchangeable. I do know either the stubs or halfshafts are slightly different , the 370 version has the nuts as part of with the stub or halfshaft.

Throw it in, get it shimmed and run it .
Old 11-04-2016, 11:35 PM
MB037

They are all interchangeable. I do know either the stubs or halfshafts are slightly different , the 370 version has the nuts as part of with the stub or halfshaft.

Throw it in, get it shimmed and run it .
Yeah, once I get it in my hands, it should clear things up. Just doesn't make much sense seeing noone on the internet mention alignment issues, but then usually the manufacturers know their products...hence my slight confusion

I remember seeing the drawing that Quaife send out, for a machine shop to modify the longer stub axle, so there will be some kind of combo that will work
Old 11-05-2016, 03:50 AM
MB037

Just thought I'd put a pic of the shafts up. Sussing out which shafts are needed is the next step

Old 11-05-2016, 11:20 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Look at my OS Giken thread if you need to mod shafts. I converted the tapered base stubs to short VLSD style
Old 11-06-2016, 09:53 PM
MB037

Look at my OS Giken thread if you need to mod shafts. I converted the tapered base stubs to short VLSD style
Yes, I think I read that a couple of days ago, very informative and nicely done

I have got a drawing from Drexler, which just shows the dimension they refer to. Again, I'll post it up

It is the dimension highlighted in yellow.
00069 p/n unit measures as 102.5mm. This is the one I have, and is the one listed for "350Z".

00327 p/n measures as 112.5mm.
This is the unit for "350Z/370Z"

Old 11-07-2016, 03:05 AM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

These are the dogs dangly bits when it comes to LSD's. They are tunable for preload and lock up torque from 10% to 90%. They should fit directly to the 350Z. If the Rep you spoke to wasn't very helpful then try having a word with RAINER DREXLER who is the son of the boss. If Rainer can't help you then i doubt anyone can. i hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:47 AM
MB037

Originally Posted by samsniss350z
These are the dogs dangly bits when it comes to LSD's. They are tunable for preload and lock up torque from 10% to 90%. They should fit directly to the 350Z. If the Rep you spoke to wasn't very helpful then try having a word with RAINER DREXLER who is the son of the boss. If Rainer can't help you then i doubt anyone can. i hope this helps.
Cheers mate, I'll make a note of that

They have been pretty good, but pretty odd. They have the two diff models, and they said they both fit the 350Z. However they have two different measurements for that ring gear on the diff.

They then said they ask the customer to measure that distance (bearing to gear) and then they select which diff from there to send out.

I would have thought it would be that 1 model is for a VLSD, one is for an open, but they don't seem to differentiate like that. Which just makes it weird.
My VLSD is still in the car, so I can't measure up for their sake.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:10 PM
MB037

Originally Posted by samsniss350z
Right, I have the unit in my hands now, confirmed the part number and measured the shafts up. They are both the same length which leads me to them being ones for an open diff replacement.

Do you have any info you could pm me to get in contact with Rainer Drexler?
The result I've had a couple of times with the Rep is him asking me to measure the bearing seat to gear seat on the VLSD, so he can send it through to the design team.
The translation sometimes makes it frustrating too, like we are not quite understanding each other.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:28 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Go above the dealer and contact Rainer himself. I can't find the phone number the only contact I can find at present is
info@drexler-automotive.com
If i come across the phone number I'll PM it to you.