Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Low oil pressure damage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 11:58 AM
Bernardo Z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Low oil pressure damage?

Hello fellow z friends. I have a question. Maybe 7 months ago I went over a speed bump and noticed my lower oil pan had a small dent in it. I didn’t mind it as it didn’t leak and everything seemed normal. Last week my gasket started to leak and decided to replace the pan too with a non dented oem one. When I had the damaged pan on my idle oil pressure was maybe 10 PSI and cruising was always 45 PSI which was a little too low for me. Oil light never came on, oil level was always on H never burned any oil no noises no nothing everything was fine. Yesterday when I changed the pan out I noticed the pan did hit the pickup tube and actually pushed one of the slits closed which in theory would restrict oil flow but not a lot . There was also a piece of paint chips of the oil pan that got caught and I removed them. I use needle nose pliers and carefully bent the opening on the tube back open and installed my new pan. Now my cars psi is 30 at idle and 60 when cruising which is perfect. My question is did I cause a lot of damage driving for 6 months with 45bpsi and 10 psi at idle? The car never had a problem but would the lower oil pressure I had cause premature wear? Oil change every 3k with Mobil 1 full synthetic. Had drain plug with magnetic and never had any metal shavings or nothing. Maybe I’m just paranoid? Thanks again guys
Old 03-10-2019, 12:23 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

You're good. Engine is fine since you always had some oil pressure.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:08 PM
Bernardo Z33

Originally Posted by Spike100
You're good. Engine is fine since you always had some oil pressure.
thank you spike I appreciate it! So does that mean driving with 30 PSI not hurt your engine? I thought low oil pressure while driving was bad. Correct me if I’m wrong because I would think 60 PSI oils your engine better. Thanks again
Old 03-10-2019, 01:45 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Of course driving your car with inadequate oil pressure is asking for engine failure. 30 psi is minimum, but enough to preserve you engine.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:04 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Likely your sensor is going out ... if you want another weekend project I would replace the sensor and see how the pressure does.

The sensor controls the low oil pressure light and the gauge read-out.

If you want another weekend project I would remove the pickup tube and inspect it and replace it if you think it's at all damaged in any way. There are minimal welds on the tube that hold the tube to the flange. If the tube comes off that flange you'll toast your engine in less than a minute. Albeit a second hand story - I heard a story of a subaru guy blowing an engine because the tube detached off the oil pump. When I heard this I instantly re-built my pickup tube with thick-wall stainless steel tube and full welds.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:58 PM
Bernardo Z33

Originally Posted by Spike100
Of course driving your car with inadequate oil pressure is asking for engine failure. 30 psi is minimum, but enough to preserve you engine.
ok good it never went to 30. 45 minimum while driving.
The following users liked this post:
EJohn (09-18-2023)
Old 03-10-2019, 02:59 PM
Bernardo Z33

Originally Posted by bealljk
Likely your sensor is going out ... if you want another weekend project I would replace the sensor and see how the pressure does.

The sensor controls the low oil pressure light and the gauge read-out.

If you want another weekend project I would remove the pickup tube and inspect it and replace it if you think it's at all damaged in any way. There are minimal welds on the tube that hold the tube to the flange. If the tube comes off that flange you'll toast your engine in less than a minute. Albeit a second hand story - I heard a story of a subaru guy blowing an engine because the tube detached off the oil pump. When I heard this I instantly re-built my pickup tube with thick-wall stainless steel tube and full welds.
sensor works fine I replaced it last year. The only part of the pickup tube that got bent was the little slit at the end which isn’t welded on at all. Just bend it back with pliers. Also Incase you didn’t know the oil light and the pressure sensor work off of two sensors.