Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Rattle/clacking from clutch when ENGAGED

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 08:35 AM
Zester

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rattle/clacking from clutch when ENGAGED

Well looks like I am nit at the end, yet.

After replacing DMF, clutch kit (with OEM parts) and CSC for HD one, I am getting chatter from the clutch. Let’s go step by step:

- I know CD009’s are loud and rattly. Mine is in neutral. That sound goes away when clutch is pressed in.
- when the clutch is in I still get very similar rattle/clacking sound. Engine warm and idling.
- if you rev the engine, when the rpm drop you can hear rattling/clacking
- CSC HD is new
- clutch was bled OK
- friction plate should be disengaging OK since I can shift normally. Also no problem engaging reverse gear. If friction/disc plate would be grabbing/sticking/not disengaging it wouldn’t be possible to get it in reverse.

- splines were lubed/greased with high temp bearing grease, but very, very lightly.

Where the chatter is coming from?? Could it be clutch disc? Not greased enough? I think the sound wasn’t there on the old clutch/dmf.

Once again - sound is heard when the clutch is engaged - pedal is pressed in.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:10 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 444 Likes on 360 Posts

tob
Old 08-30-2019, 09:17 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,263 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Zester
Well looks like I am nit at the end, yet.

After replacing DMF, clutch kit (with OEM parts) and CSC for HD one, I am getting chatter from the clutch. Let’s go step by step:

- I know CD009’s are loud and rattly. Mine is in neutral. That sound goes away when clutch is pressed in.
- when the clutch is in I still get very similar rattle/clacking sound. Engine warm and idling.
- if you rev the engine, when the rpm drop you can hear rattling/clacking
- CSC HD is new
- clutch was bled OK
- friction plate should be disengaging OK since I can shift normally. Also no problem engaging reverse gear. If friction/disc plate would be grabbing/sticking/not disengaging it wouldn’t be possible to get it in reverse.

- splines were lubed/greased with high temp bearing grease, but very, very lightly.

Where the chatter is coming from?? Could it be clutch disc? Not greased enough? I think the sound wasn’t there on the old clutch/dmf.

Once again - sound is heard when the clutch is engaged - pedal is pressed in.

The noise you're hearing is possibly neither clutch nor flywheel. The JK4x transmission (often referred to as "CD009" on HR and VHR) is - in general - very noisy from gear clatter and/or shaft bearing clatter. Although it is a bit strange to hear it when in gear and clutch engaged, it's still a possibility. The JK41B in my '08 Z33N also did that. (Way more noise than my CD001 with bad 3G synchro). It rattled while clutch disengaged (pedal depressed) then occasionally while in gear at just above idle. Never resulted in anything bad for me (nor subsequent owner to my knowledge, although he did have to replace the CSC). I wouldn't worry too much unless it gets worse. Changing the input bearing isn't particularly difficult but it's just all the hassle of getting to it (trans removal and breaking into the front case).

If you have access to someone with a lift (wheels off ground or lift ramp), get under it and listen to the bell housing area AND the transmission case with an automotive stethoscope (even a cheap one) to narrow down the source.

Rudimentary and old school - but a very handy tool.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:48 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Since it only happens with the clutch pedal in (engaged), that narrows it down to only a a few parts. A video would help if you can.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:18 AM
Zester

Old 08-30-2019, 11:02 AM
Zester

Tried the old school - screwdriver. Put it on transmission, bellhousing. Nothing. Put it on the catalytic converter ... AHAAAA! Gotcha!!!
core of cat is loose. Took a shaft, hammered it once in the hole of the housing - SILENCE! FIXED!
Old 08-30-2019, 11:26 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,263 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Zester
Tried the old school - screwdriver. Put it on transmission, bellhousing. Nothing. Put it on the catalytic converter ... AHAAAA! Gotcha!!!
core of cat is loose. Took a shaft, hammered it once in the hole of the housing - SILENCE! FIXED!
Nothing better than KISS principle fixes.

Psshh, and here we were thinking transmission bearing, T/O bearing, and it turns out to be a muffler bearing. A little PM next time maybe? Don't forget to oil that muff bearing while topping the headlight fluid.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:12 PM
Zester

350’s were known for this issues - cat cores going bad if I remember correctly.
But as seen on video it sounded terrible. I installed invidia catback and flanges are different to stock. So that could have warped case of the cat housing. Not sure.
Glad it is finally (hopefully) over.