Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

LSD on base?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 07:00 PM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD on base?

So I am one of those financially challenged owners who could only get the Base model. In truth I didn't realize at the Base didn't come with an LSD. I'm an idiot for not checking. I though all models came with at LEAST the LSD and same power output. Well, now that I have begun modding and will be doing A LOT very soon I was wondering if I could install an LSD on the Base. I know Nismo has one and Quaife I think makes one as well. But can it be done on the Base. Or should I attempt to find another models rear end at a junk yard?
Old 02-23-2004, 07:13 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nismo, kaaz, etc. (clutch-type) lsd's are MUCH better than the stock viscous lsd on other z models.

yes you can add an aftermarket lsd
Old 02-23-2004, 07:17 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by apex locator
nismo, kaaz, etc. (clutch-type) lsd's are MUCH better than the stock viscous lsd on other z models.

yes you can add an aftermarket lsd
Thank you very much for your reply. I did see the Nismo one on Courtesy the other day. I guess that will be part of a giant upgrade. I'm getting a rather large promotion soon at work. Once that sets in its $500 a month into the bank. I figure by the end of the year with the money I have already saved I'm going to go with the Greddy TT kit and I'll buy the Nismo LSD and install it all at the same time. Of course JWT has a kit in the works as well so I guess we'll see.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:24 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NISMO comes with all that you need...

We can do a core swap with you and send you a diff built up ready to be swapped and you send the core back...

Or you can pay to have someone instlal the diff its self...

the NISMO comes with EVERYTHING you need.

(if you have a MT of course)

available on our web site http://www.mynismo.com or click the banner below
Old 02-23-2004, 09:51 PM
ragster

Default Which models come with LSD?

I have Enthusiast Roadster. I haven't seen anything indicating that it has LSD or not.

thanks!
Old 02-24-2004, 04:43 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Default Re: Which models come with LSD?

Originally posted by ragster
I have Enthusiast Roadster. I haven't seen anything indicating that it has LSD or not.

thanks!
Your Enthusiast will have an LSD unit from the factory. However the Nismo unit is more of a Performance part and will lock the rear end solid as it detects slip, unlike the stock LSD that will still allow a good amount of traction loss.
Here is a paste from another thread that may help understand this:

The 350Z comes with 2 types of differential.

A differential is a device to transmitt torque to the rear wheels and also allow the outide wheel in a corner to spin faster than the inside wheel, otherwise the tires would have to slip across the road in order for the car to go around a corner.

The Base Z model comes with a 2 pinion "open" differential, all other Z models, the Enthusiast, Performance and Track models, come with a 4 pinion viscous limited slip differential.

The "open" differential of the Base model does not have the capability to transmit much torque to the wheel with the most traction, it has what is called a 0% locking factor. The wheel with the least traction gets essentially all the drive torque.

The viscous LSD of on the other hand has a friction device that couples the rear wheels together with a connection that contains a silicon fluid and some vanes connected to each side of the differential in the fluid. When the one side of the differential spins faster then the other side the fluid thickens and couples the sides together, transmitting torque to the wheel with greater traction. How much torque can be transmitted is limited, but greater than the open differential-I don't know what the locking factor is, I would guess around 20%.

The Nismo LSD has plates within it that are driven by the force on the pinion gear shafts that increase the friction within the differential when one wheel spins faster than the other. This is accomplished by coupling the output shafts of the differential to the case of the differential across the friction plates.

The percentage of torque that can be driven to the wheel with the most traction is user selectable in the Nismo at 60, 80 or 100%. This means that with the 100% locking factor, all the torque going to the spinning wheel also goes to the opposite wheel, i.e. both wheels are spinning at the same speed. This also decreases the ability of the differential to work as a differential when the car is going around a corner, hence all the racket when the diff is set at 100%. A setting of 60% decreases the amount of torque that can be sent to the wheel with the most traction, but increases the drivability of the car for going around a corner at slow speeds. Even at high speeds a 100% locking factor can lead to corner entry understeer and decreased turn in response.

And this is the link to the thread: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=44310
Old 02-24-2004, 06:08 AM
ragster

Default Thanks Jeff !

Great informational reply!

Jim
Old 02-24-2004, 06:16 AM
Blownaway

I installed the Nismo in my Base and am very pleased with it. It is a little harsh when driving slow and making a turn.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:51 AM
TheBigShow

if the nismo comes with everything u need, what doesn't the others come with?
Old 02-24-2004, 07:14 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

We have a "Diff ready to go" Package available.

PM me for pricing info. A core charge will apply.

Package pays for...

Shipping TO and FROM you of the pumpkin. Labor for building the Diff, and the cost of the diff...
Old 02-24-2004, 08:57 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

no wonder my left wheel is worn all out while my right one still looks new....
Old 02-24-2004, 10:47 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by TheBigShow
if the nismo comes with everything u need, what doesn't the others come with?
The others just come with the diff. No axle ends, no seals, no brgs, no shims, no fluid... well you get the picture.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:16 AM
TheBigShow

do u add the extras to the kit, or does the nismo come with everything no matter where u get it? not that i would get it anywhere else.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:07 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Jeff@Performance
The others just come with the diff. No axle ends, no seals, no brgs, no shims, no fluid... well you get the picture.
I'll give them another picture When your new brand X diff doesn't come with all that stuff, you'll be adding $400 to your swap bill to pay for the stuff. Yes the Nismo comes with all those required parts in it's purchase price, required for Base open diff owner's that is.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:46 AM
michaelgamrat

Default Base LSD Kit

Hey Jeff,

I'm also interested in adding a LSD to my base Z. How hard is it to install? You say it comes assembled, is it just a bolt on job then, overall? Also, how much is the kit? I only saw one part (#38420-RS141) for $900. Is that the kit, or is that something extra?

Thanks,

-Mike
Old 03-05-2004, 07:23 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Default Probably won't see this old thread, but...

Originally posted by Blownaway
I installed the Nismo in my Base and am very pleased with it. It is a little harsh when driving slow and making a turn.
... how did the install go? How many hours? What would you consider the difficulty of the install on a scale of 1 to 10?
Old 03-05-2004, 09:55 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Default Re: Base LSD Kit

Originally posted by michaelgamrat
How hard is it to install? You say it comes assembled, is it just a bolt on job then, overall? Also, how much is the kit? I only saw one part (#38420-RS141) for $900. Is that the kit, or is that something extra?Mike
The $900.00 is complete, you shouldn't need any more parts. This job isn't too bad to do once you pull the rear end out of the car. Makes the job MUCH easier. Yes, it is a bolt in...BUT... you need to check your ring gear lash to the pinion gear and make sure it has the proper tolorance's! This takes a special tool MOST of you won't own. Looks like this:

And here's the link to the diff:
http://www.performancenissanparts.co...products_id=59

And the diff set:
Old 03-05-2004, 10:04 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Hey Jeff, what is the install price from Peformance Nissan?
Old 03-05-2004, 10:24 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by yobri
Hey Jeff, what is the install price from Peformance Nissan?
We're a bit high.... but it's $425.00. If your local, come by and go for a ride in my car with one in it!!
Old 03-05-2004, 10:47 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

I actually planned on coming down to your shop (I'm in SF NorCal) to get the LSD installed some time during the next two years, but I didn't know installation would be so much. Still I plan on acquiring the setup from you guys as the price is the best on the market thus far. I'm supposed to be down in SoCal in April for a Z meet BBQ, and if I am, I'll be sure to take you up on the offer for that ride.