Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

resetting the ecu

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 09:59 PM
isalvus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default resetting the ecu

i ordered the kenetic plenum , hi flow cats and a jwt pop charger
after the install should i reset the ECU and if so anyone know how to do it ? any feed back mush appreicated
Old 03-11-2004, 02:21 AM
SungNamZ

Default Re: resetting the ecu

Originally posted by isalvus
after the install should i reset the ECU and if so anyone know how to do it ? any feed back mush appreicated
I have never been able to get the "ECU Reset" to work using the instructions that have been posted. That one has you turning key on, pressing and releasing gas pedal so many times in a period of time, etc., etc., and etc. Hasn't worked for me.

Don't know how much you plan to do in one day, but I knew FedEx was delivery Kinetix Plenum the next day, so disconnected the battery. They say leave it disconnected for at least 12 hours and your ECU will reset. ECU apparently picked up changed immediately. NO problems. I also have Kinetix Cats and JWT Pop Charger to install and will use same method.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:23 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default Re: resetting the ecu

Originally posted by isalvus
Resetting the ECU is simple. Just remove the negative battery terminal for about a minute, then put it back on. Done.

I got that information directly from the mouth of Tadashi at Technosquare. The resetting procedure on their site (doing the accellerator shuffle) is only for removing the SES light. It does nto actually reset the ECU.

-Chris
Old 03-11-2004, 07:56 AM
mcduck

Resetting the ECU is simple. Just remove the negative battery terminal for about a minute, then put it back on. Done.
No offense, but that is a load of bull... I talked to the Nissan Master Tech certified for 350Z service at the dealership I take my car to. He told me emphatically that the battery terminal "reset" does not work. the only way to reset the factory ECU is thru ConsultII or by following the manual reset sequence in the service manual.

I've heard several different versions of how this can be done, but I consider someone that is a certified MasterTech to be the best source of those I've seen listed.

The manual procedure is not difficult, it's mostly a matter of timing it correctly. If this is not easy for you, your Nissan Service department should be able to do the ConsultII reset with about 1hr labor charge
Old 03-11-2004, 08:23 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default ?????

Originally posted by mcduck
No offense, but that is a load of bull... I talked to the Nissan Master Tech certified for 350Z service at the dealership I take my car to. He told me emphatically that the battery terminal "reset" does not work. the only way to reset the factory ECU is thru ConsultII or by following the manual reset sequence in the service manual.
Wellllllll..... ???

I really don't know. I trust what Tadashi says and considering that his job is flashing ECU's, I'd put A LOT of stock in anything he has to say on the subject. I know that personally when I have tried the "manual reset procedure" nothing has ever visibly happened. I have done it 10 times in a row before and the SES light never indicated that the ECU was reset.

The one and only time that I actually got a real SES light, I did the procedure 1 time and the light went out. Sooooo... just based on that alone, it makes me think that what Tadashi said is true.

I guess what it boils down it is believe whoever you want to believe.

-Chris
Old 03-11-2004, 08:24 AM
PANCHOVILLA

Is the TS reseting procedures the same as the one thats in the manual?
Old 03-11-2004, 09:10 AM
ChrisMCagle

Question Which manual?

Originally posted by PANCHOVILLA
Which manual do you mean? I just checked and the word "ECU" is not mentioned anywhere in the Owner's Manual?

-Chris
Old 03-11-2004, 09:46 AM
mcduck

In the owners manual, no. In the service manual, yes.. around pages EC43-EC53

Which manual do you mean? I just checked and the word "ECU" is not mentioned anywhere in the Owner's Manual?
It's in the service manual under Engine - Engine Control System. ECU is a generic term often used to reference any particular car's electronic brain. In Nissan terms, the ECU is actually an ECS.

And, so we can continue to guess, I checked the Service Manual section concerning the battery and electrical system. It makes no mention of the ECU reseting if you disconnect the battery. Of course, it does not say that it does not do this either.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:40 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default Ahhhhhhhh

In the owners manual, no. In the service manual, yes.. around pages EC43-EC53

It's in the service manual under Engine - Engine Control System. ECU is a generic term often used to reference any particular car's electronic brain. In Nissan terms, the ECU is actually an ECS.

And, so we can continue to guess, I checked the Service Manual section concerning the battery and electrical system. It makes no mention of the ECU reseting if you disconnect the battery. Of course, it does not say that it does not do this either.
I see. I should be recieving the Service Manual in the mail either today or tomorrow so I can check it out.

I honestly don't know what to believe anymore when it comes to resetting the ECU/ECS/Computer/Brain/thingamabob.

It would be cool if there was a way to hook up a laptop to it and then just "reboot" it.

-Chris
Old 03-11-2004, 11:10 AM
mcduck

It would be cool if there was a way to hook up a laptop to it and then just "reboot" it.
You can do this if you have a copy of the CONSULTII software. Basically allows you to do the same thing a Nissan service tech can do with their little handheld thing-a-ma-jigger.

Unfortunately, the full blown CONSULTII program is very expensive (several thousand dollars!) and (I believe) only available to certified mechanics.

You can download a limited version of CONSULTII from Nissan through their technical support area. I have it, but have not used it because you still need the special connectors to hook into the OBD port. The limited version only allows you to view settings and temporarily make changes. Basically, you can reset parameters to see how the car would run, but it reverts to the old settings as soon as you unhook the OBD. At least, that is what I've been told...
Old 03-11-2004, 11:20 AM
Tim'sZ

I agree with McDuck, when i installed camshafts they had to reset computer using the handheld dealie and I had a CEL for about 4 days before it finally went away. I went back and they cleared the mis-fire code with the CONSULTII and I have had no more problems since. The mechanic that works on my car said that eventually the ECU would learn these mods through the self learn mode? Who knows.....
Old 03-11-2004, 11:22 AM
ChrisMCagle

Cool Hmmmmmm..

Unfortunately, the full blown CONSULTII program is very expensive (several thousand dollars!) and (I believe) only available to certified mechanics.

I wonder if there is a version of CONSULTII "out there on the net" somewhere?? Hmmmm... now I must begin the quest.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:58 PM
cinergi1

I think taking the negative battery lead off for a minute or so does indeed reset the ECU. Here's why.

I dyno'd my car. The A/F ratio was running between 12.8-13.2. I then installed the popcharger and re-dyno'd. My A/F ratio started at 18 and declined to 14. Very lean. I then called Tadashi and he told me to disconnect the neg. battery lead for a few seconds then go drive the car around for 15 minutes. I did this then immediately re-dyno'd and the A/F ratio was back to normal - 12.8-13.2.