Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

VIDEOS of my Setup (Borla, R/T, JWT)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 12:07 PM
6MTHavok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIDEOS of my Setup (Borla, R/T, JWT)

Here are a few vids that I have taken showing some of my new mods.

First video:
My car revving at idle and also a few clips from driving:
(Broadband)
http://www.197358246.com/~havoc/G35CupdateLarge.wmv (6mb)
(56k)
http://www.197358246.com/~havoc/G35CupdateSmall.wmv (3mb)

Second Vid:
My car on the dyno Machine. 3 pulls, 53.27rwhp on a hot day
(Broadband)
http://www.197358246.com/~havoc/DynoLarge.wmv (13mb)
(56k)
http://www.197358246.com/~havoc/DynoSmall.wmv (5mb)

As you can tell, I have absolutely no raspyness with the R/T cats. I believe it only happens on certain exhausts, especially Stillen. So if you have Borla exhaust and you want to get cats, R/T's are the way to go!

Tell me what ya think!
Old 03-11-2004, 01:12 PM
SoBe

great post buddy i like the setup and angles worked great!
Old 03-11-2004, 01:18 PM
damoniusmonk

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default windows files

Boo, whatever happened to quicktime? what was wrong with it? Bill Gates likes to make it so that people at work with macs cannot enjoy wasting time looking at peoples videos converted to windows-only video

booo
Old 03-11-2004, 01:35 PM
wren57
Banned

Why do the wheels not look like they are moving in the dyno vid...?
Old 03-11-2004, 04:32 PM
PainProphet

Default Re: windows files

Originally posted by damoniusmonk
Boo, whatever happened to quicktime? what was wrong with it? Bill Gates likes to make it so that people at work with macs cannot enjoy wasting time looking at peoples videos converted to windows-only video

booo
Bahaha, he said quicktime :P
Old 03-11-2004, 05:28 PM
mpol99

Wow, cats with no raspiness, thanks!!!
Old 03-11-2004, 05:42 PM
ajk4

i have almost the same setup (except k&n typhoon/kinetix plenum), and while i dont have any rasp when reving to higher rpms, there is a tad bit of rasp as the revs drop (after letting off the pedal) from about 3k-2k rpm. its evident also in your first video when you are reving. there is no noticeable rasp when reving up but its there as the rpms drop from 3k down to 2k. while this isnt a huge problem, it does sound kinda funky when downshifting.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:51 PM
jreiter

Default Re: windows files

booo

Not to start an argument, but Quicktime is an Apple-created format, just like Windows Media is an MS-created format. (Although Apple was nice enough to make a Quicktime player for Windows. MS should be nice and make a Windows Media player for MacOS.) I might ask this question instead:

Why don't people make generic mpeg videos that are not Quicktime or Windows Media dependent? Both players (along with scores of others for all types of operating systems) can play standards-based mpeg files.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:01 PM
thunder0880

nice vids
Old 03-11-2004, 06:26 PM
6MTHavok

Yes I was wondering about that. It doesn't sound raspy in the traditional sense of a metalic clanking sound. Rather it sounds like a woosh of air. I thought it might be a leak. I don't know.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:37 PM
cdrami

Default Re: Re: windows files

Originally posted by jreiter
Why don't people make generic mpeg videos that are not Quicktime or Windows Media dependent? Both players (along with scores of others for all types of operating systems) can play standards-based mpeg files.
Because MPEG1 compression is crappy. Quicktime or WMV provide at least 2 times better compression (with similar visual quality).
Meaning a 20MB mpeg will be only 10mb if it were in quicktime or wmv format (if not less than 10)

By the way, nice videos, i am looking at a similar setup in a month or so.... (when the weather gets a little warmer) CANT WAIT!!
Old 03-11-2004, 08:44 PM
ss350

nyce vids and mods...but weak shifting man!!!!!
Old 03-12-2004, 12:09 AM
jreiter

Default Re: Re: Re: windows files

Originally posted by cdrami
Because MPEG1 compression is crappy. Quicktime or WMV provide at least 2 times better compression (with similar visual quality).

There often can be a bit more to it. Quicktime and Windows Media formats are often just "wrappers" that go around a video that was compressed with some other type of compression codec. For example, you can have a Quicktime or Windows Media file that is actually compressed using an mpeg1 or mpeg2 codec... or any other codec. (There are bunches!) If you're going to use mpeg1 or mpeg2 codecs, though, there's not much reason to put them inside the Quicktime or WMV formats because there are plenty of players (including those two) which will play mpeg. As far as Quicktime, is there even a "Quicktime" codec? Most of the QT videos I see seem to use an mpeg codec or Sorensen Video. (another very popular codec)

On the topic of mpeg, there's no reason it has te be "crappy" if the creator of the video doesn't want it to be. When making the videos, you can determine what bitrate to use, which will determine the quality (and file size). Mpeg2 is my preference as it is the same codec used in DVDs and SVCDs and thus it is very standard.

All of this is sort of a moot point in this particular situation, though, because the above videos were compressed using Windows Media Video 9. This is actually a very nice codec, but like 'damoniusmonk' said, I don't know if Microsoft makes the WMV9 playback codec available to any player other than Windows Media Player. (I think...)

My original point was actually for 'damoniusmonk'. He said why not use Quicktime instead of WMV? I was just saying why not get rid of the "wrappers" altogether and just use mpeg1 or mpeg2. There are OSes (such as Linux) for which I don't believe there are Quicktime players *or* WMV players... but there *are* mpeg players. And you can't honestly say mpeg2 is a low quality codec unless you're saying DVDs are low quality.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:25 AM
jreiter

Ah heck. Just re-read my message and realized I didn't quite articulate what I meant... and now it's been past 10 minutes so I can't edit it. Oh well.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:14 AM
6MTHavok

Originally posted by ss350
nyce vids and mods...but weak shifting man!!!!!
Heh Let's see you try to juggle a camera, trying to keep it on the gauges while driving! Basically all those segments were done without holding the wheel, which is a little scary, as you don't have anything to hold onto, like the wheel. So I made sure i didn't chirp the tires or anything. That is not a representation of my shifting ability! haha
Old 03-12-2004, 08:45 AM
KJY9

Default Re: Re: windows files

Originally posted by jreiter
.. MS should be nice and make a Windows Media player for MacOS.) I might ask this question instead:
There is one out. My brother is on a Mac and has no problems whatsoever viewing the WMV files that I email him
Old 03-12-2004, 01:06 PM
damoniusmonk

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default quicktime

Hey I'm all for mpeg, Macs love 'em and so do PCs

Bring on the mpegs!

Oh yeah, there is a wmv converter for mac, but it only runs on OSX, and my Avid (editing system) is on OS9 only, oh well
Old 03-12-2004, 03:22 PM
jreiter

Default Re: quicktime

Oh yeah, there is a wmv converter for mac, but it only runs on OSX, and my Avid (editing system) is on OS9 only, oh well

Ah, Avid, eh? (Now that's a funny sounding sentence.) Nice. Too bad the OS9 version won't work. Maybe try out that wmv player for MacOS that was mentioned above. (?)