Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Lightewaight flywheel guys listen up

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 06:28 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It makes a little sense. The last percentages of a valve opening do not change flow a considerable amount compared to the early stages of opening. The design team must have found that a remaining 15% didn't affect performance (everything OEM) so they set that to WOT
Noone even knows for sure if this is happening - all you know is that an OBD2 scanner says it only opens 85% - none of us know for sure if this is really 85% or not.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:47 AM
Bait-Fish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heheh, anyone have a borescope camera to observe the TB under normal operation?
Old 03-26-2004, 08:03 AM
3rdpower

Originally posted by adanande
all this deeply scare me. maybe i should convert the stock z plenum set up to tommy Kaira's individual throttle bodies. Does anyone know if thse are still drive by wire? How much do they cost? Will changing the 85 percent throttle opening to 100 percent help with forced induction. I think it will. Headers are needed to increase flow but they are an impossible mod. with my RSX type s i installed headers and it made a fluttering noise untill i traded it in because it always got loose when i reved into vtec. But all this aside it pisses me off that the 350z had te potential to have at least9 to 95 horsepower per liter and nissan chose not to have that. If our valvetrains were better and our plunum didn't suck and if we didn't have four catylytic converters we would have some marginal throttle response. Bye everyone, i'm annoyed, the car is too expensive to be this slow. I guess i payed for looks not a sports car. And for all of those that say a sports car doesn't have to be fast, my z can'candle either the left compression rod has been faulty since i bought it 8 months ago, the steering response is non existant and the alignment is way off. peace
wow
Old 03-26-2004, 09:20 AM
adanande

hey third power, is your car really faster than an m3 or are you just kidding? i heard the crawford plenum doesn't really help because the tip design is too square and it induces turbulence? Also did you reprogram your ecu? Does your car need to be reprogrammed? Is kinetix any good? And whats your experience with the jun flywheel(nice brand by the way JUN is really high quality) Last but not least did you pass an M3 on a drag or a road race? Believe it was most probably on the latter of the two.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Zship

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
Noone even knows for sure if this is happening - all you know is that an OBD2 scanner says it only opens 85% - none of us know for sure if this is really 85% or not.
There are multiple posts on the board discussing this problem already. I am pretty sure TS has addressed it in their flash as well.

Fact: Drive by wire systems control the throttle opening and closing. Don't think it is always in a performance way. Sometimes things are programmed for emissions and comfort purposes.

A good example is any of the cars that use semi-automatics with paddle shifters. The throttle is actually lifted so the shift can take place, without the driver even moving his/her foot.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:15 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are multiple posts yes - none of which gave any more information than this thread has though.

Fact remains that all that has been witnessed so far is that the TPS signal is showing 85% at WOT. We have no idea what voltage that corresponds to on the TPS (easy enough to find out), or what the actual voltage range of the TPS sensor is (also easy to find out), nor have I seen any info showing the throttle plate is opening any less than at a 90 degree angle when the accelerator is pushed down all the way.

Better yet, if there is truly 15% "left on the table" in the TB butterfly opening, what does that really translate into? We are not enlarging the TB at all, but rather altering the position of the butterfly. We are talking about 6 degrees of differential here.....if it is truly happening, I'd be mighty surprised if anyone of us here could ever tell the difference.......

Adam
Old 03-30-2004, 08:58 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by hfm
I've PM'd someone who is very much in the know about the Z and hope to have something I can post. I'll do just that as soon as I hear anything further.
Well, I had a long discussion with my knowledgable contact. Apparently, my contact had a long discussion with other engineers and the terminology was a problem for them as well. The long and short of it is as follows:

1. The effect I notice in fact takes place is supposed to take place.
2. There is more engine braking when the clutch is up, the foot is off the throttle and the car is coasting in gear.

The end result, when I downshift, my feeling of less engine braking takes place and the distance travelled increases after these modifications.

It's very wierd but it turns out both view were correct. I'd like to thank my source for the time spent explaining it to me.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:44 AM
Infern0

So again I ask....do we need to get the timing adjusted...the idle adjusted...what mods make this necessary...just the flywheel? Thanks from all the people that need it spelled out.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:47 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Infern0
So again I ask....do we need to get the timing adjusted...the idle adjusted...what mods make this necessary...just the flywheel? Thanks from all the people that need it spelled out.
Neither the timing nor idle were discussed. In my experience, I needed to bump the idle due to stalling issues after the flywheel was installed. I also had the timing advanced two degrees. I'm noticing stalls again if I've been driving, shut down and restart the engine after a short while. You may expect to require some idle adjustment.

When it comes right down to it, what I experience as a greater distance to slow down during downshifts is the trade off to quicker acceleration. This from what I understand, is normal.