Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Any corvette (c5) killers in here N/A?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 03:05 PM
350xfire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by max2000jp
This is 5 pages of nonsense....Without F/I, you wont beat a well driven C5. You guys are comparing the worst times for the C5's versus the best times(estimations) for 350Zs. Please, go look at what a C5 6 speed puts down to the rear wheels and do some research on "good" 1/4 times.
Thank You!!!
Why doesn't anyone close down this worthless post??? LOL!
YOU WILL NOT HANG WITH THE C5'S PERIOD!
Besides, even if you had forced induction, what's faster than a blown Z:

A C5 with about $1000 worth of mods. Stop dreaming.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:51 PM
NOBI

the greatest thing ever happened the other day... two guys in a drop top c5 pulled up next to me as i was driving, they started reving their engine and speeding up and slowing down trying to get me to race. i however had a pop charger, and rt cats... so i geared down into the whistle range, and pulled up next to them gave it a little so it made the turbo spool sound and the exhaust began to scream, the guys aparently thought i was running a turbo, hit the brakes, gave up and fell in behind me and stopped their revving. i wish i could have had a picture of two things that day, their face when they heard my "100 dollar turbo" and my face when they gave up all hope and got behind me.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:35 PM
zectasy

i know a kid with a newer 6spd C5 and it only runs lower 13s with exhaust...ive heard about people with 350z with DR's and a intake running low 13s...i say someone with full exhaust...intake...headers..pulley...and cams with DR's could kill a C5..
Old 07-09-2004, 05:50 AM
shanedog

Originally posted by 350xfire
Uhm!!! let me think... I think not! May be that plus forced induction. 345 horses from the Vette at over 300 lb ft of torque vs about 300 from the Z with less torque with all those mods. Not!
So with all those mods you are saying a Z will increase 13 hp....I think not. You are comparing RWHP to crank horsepower. The Z will put down the same power numbers of a Vette with those mods plus will pull harder through the gears because of the flywheel and gearing. Put me in a Z with those mods against a C5 and I will beat it every single time. I am not one of those guys who thinks the Z is some incredibly fast car by any means, in fact they feel slow without FI, but I am just stating what I know.

This is coming from a former Z06 owner so I know a little about Vettes. A stock C5 will get toasted by about 5 cars from a Z06, and will beat an SS Camaro by about 1 car. Really not that fast IMO. Plus the gearing in C5's suck.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:58 AM
Umrswimr

I don't know how much mods cost for the 350Z, but they ARE NOT cheap for the C5. Sure, you can buy cheap stuff as was mentioned earlier. But it's exactly that- cheap crap. I took a different route: but the good stuff once and don't worry about wanting to "upgrade" ever again.

As a rule of thumb, it costs $100 per pony, once you eliminate the "free" mods.

My list:

Halltech TRAP intake: $800. (Vararam is similar price and performance)
LS6 intake manifold: $350
LG Pro LT headers w/high-flow cats: $1900
Borla Stinger cat-back: $600
+ $800 for installation and tuning of the LS6 intake manifold and headers. I did the cat-back and intake myself.

Total: ~$4500 for a 55 rwhp gain.

Yes, it *can* be done for cheaper. But you'll get less power. The $600 "shorty" POS headers will get you 10-15 rwhp. My LG Pros cost three times as much and I gained nearly 30HP.

It's just like anything else- you get what you pay for. :cheers:
Old 08-05-2004, 10:17 AM
R1Rider

What's really to brag about taking a modded Z and beating a stock C5?

Take a stock Z and a stock C5, give each owner $10K to spend on whatever mods they like and then run 'em. Who do you think will win? I'm betting on the C5. Mainly because it has more power/torque to begin with and the small block Chevy should easily handle more power without the worry of going boom.

With enough $$$, one can make a Jetta outrun most stock exotics.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:47 AM
NOBI

THIS HAS GOT TO STOP! we all know that in a drag race the c5 will win, unless you arent na or hes got bald tires, or gets sucked up by a tornado halfway down the run etc. when we all purchased the z we knew it was a track car and not a drag car. no it doesent have a hemi, no it doesent have 400ftlbs of torque, yes it does have 50/50 weight distribution, somthing i doubt the corvette has with its 5.7 liter front mounted v8.

truth be told at willow springs the sages spec z (stripped down to 2900lbs) is less than 8 seconds off the record holder (ferraris spec challenge stradale). i dont care what anyone says that is impressive. mind you the spec z only has cams and exhaust work done, with forced induction id be willing to bet that it could make up most of those 8 seconds. we are comparing apples to oranges when we compare the z to the corvette, they were not designed to do the same things. the corvette although designed to take corners, was designed to go really fast in a straight line above all, following it heritage. the z on the other hand was designed to corner and handle well, turn heads at every corner, and give its driver big $ performance for a small price. i belive that it succeeded.

Last edited by NOBI; 08-05-2004 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:59 AM
Umrswimr

Originally posted by NOBI
yes it does have 50/50 weight distribution, somthing i doubt the corvette has with its 5.7 liter front mounted v8.
You are correct. It's 51/49.

The key is mounting the transmission in the back.

And nobody's arguing that the 350Z ISN'T a nice car. Nor are they sayng that it's slow.

But whether it's slow-er than a C5, even with most of the N/A modification. I believe that's the discussion.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:19 AM
jng1226

If you anything about track times, 8 seconds is an ETERNITY. I love my Z, but a C5/Z06 SMOKES a Z, AS MUCH around a road course racetrack as it does in a straight line. The amount of $$$$ it takes to get a Z competitve with a stock C5/Z06 on either the roadcourse or strip is NOT insignificant, and probably get you a C5/Z06.

Get over it - it's just a car, not a religion.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:22 PM
NOBI

incase you dident read, let me sum it up again for you

FERRARIS RACING CHALLENGE STRADALE- ferrari of north america built this car to race, its their car, professionally driven in competition all over n america, and probalby the world. it holds the record at willow springs for fastest lap time.
COST: id estimate it to be way north of $200,000 but lets call it an even 200 grand just to be fair.

SAGES NISSAN SPEC Z- stripped down z, with cams and exhaust, a platform to see if its feasable to build a super low weight nissan z version of the challenge stradale.
COST: 40grand, but we can call it 50 just to be safe.

360 modena- ferrari challenge

nissan z- the spec z

time difference
8 seconds
18,750 dollars for evey second, probably more.

net savings to you at least 150grand.

And then the clouds went away and God smiled, and all was good.

Last edited by NOBI; 08-05-2004 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:42 PM
NOBI

Originally posted by Umrswimr
You are correct. It's 51/49.

The key is mounting the transmission in the back.

And nobody's arguing that the 350Z ISN'T a nice car. Nor are they sayng that it's slow.

But whether it's slow-er than a C5, even with most of the N/A modification. I believe that's the discussion.

i agree, stock for stock, even modded for stock , the c5 is more than likely faster. but the fact that we are even having this discussion speaks volumes about the 26-35k z. we match it up against something, equal in bang for buck factor, for at least 10gs more, and then bittch at eachother for 6 pages about which one is faster modded or not i just think thats hilarious

Last edited by NOBI; 08-05-2004 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:18 PM
Javi

I usually don’t write about this stuff on the forum, because of people not knowing the potential their Z has, say IMPOSSIBLE! And I don’t like to argue about something I know for a fact.
My 2004 Z isn’t stock:

Crawford Plenum
Crank Pulley
Iridium Sparks
NISMO Headers
Cat Pipes
Greddy Exhaust
JWT Cams
JWT Intake
JWT Flywheel

I have raced on the freeway with late model 911’s Carrera and Carrera S, with late model M3’s, stock and modified Cayenne’s Turbo, CLK55’s, STI’s and Lancer EVO’s and of course C5’s and have won. Of course I have taken a beating too, but they have to be fairly modified in order to give me a good fight. This has been freeway races until 130mph or more. I’ve been a member here since early 2003 and don’t need any attention nor look for making an impression to anyone here, so believe it or not, that’s the truth.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:09 PM
C5DEMON

I know my slighlty modified Z is no where near as fast as my C5 was.

If you can mod your Z to run a low 13 (13.0-13.2) on street tires, then you can beat a lot of every day driver C5's. -That goes for SS's and WS6's too.

Modified C5s are a different story. BUT WHO CARES???????

Jesus, -"if you modifed a corvette the same way as a Z.... snort" The majority of the people don't care that $10k in a vette will beat a Z with $10k in it.

I think the original post refers to what it takes to beat a stock vette. I am all about the same thing. When I traded my C5 in for my Z, my first thoughts were what am I going to have to buy to make this thing faster than the vette? It looks like you just about have to buy every mod out there to get in the NA power range(275-300rwhp) to be competitive with the 5.7 liters.

An *average* driver will probably not run any better than a mid 13 (13.4-13.6) in a corvette, camaro SS, or WS6- (I know that will hurt some troll's feelings and he'll ***** about how he ran a 12.9 with just a lid in his pontiac trans-am. You're probably better than an average driver, so save the bandwidth)

Bottom line, ask around to see what it will take to run low 13's in your Z. You will surprise a lot of V8's that line up next to you.

annnnnnnd... I'm out.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:12 AM
350Z-VDC=Bandit

4.3 L stock but not and eats vettes like a fat kid eats french fries.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:03 AM
VeeTec

I just want to run a 13.5 stock.

I am waiting for cool weather though, as the summer heat would make this a lot more difficult.

A well driven C5 6 speed is in the 12's stock. I have seen it time and time again, so I would think f/i would be needed, unless you do a serious internal build. Even then you may only have a chance against a stock C5.

My 7 ran a 13.5 stock, but after a Greddy T78 single conversion, street porting, and a lot of other supporting mods, 11.7@119. That was @ 14lbs of boost, as I wanted to stay somewhat reliable.

If you want to go vette hunting in a Z, you have a tall order, that will take a lot to get filled, and imo needs forced induction.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:32 AM
FuzzyThread

Default Oh Noooooooo

I'm tired of losing. I'm ordering a new C6 ASAP. They're supoosed to have 400HP stock.

Maybe I'll give my Z to my daughter.

Attached Thumbnails Any corvette (c5) killers in here N/A?-vette.jpg  
Old 08-06-2004, 11:59 AM
Umrswimr

Default Re: Oh Noooooooo

Originally posted by FuzzyThread
I'm tired of losing. I'm ordering a new C6 ASAP. They're supoosed to have 400HP stock.

Maybe I'll give my Z to my daughter.

Nice choice... What color?

I'm waiting for the C6 Z06, myself.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:13 PM
spazpilot

did somebody say 400 + rwhp and 400 + rwtq. I can tell you for sure that a C5 can not beat me and nor can a z06 because my brother owned one. N/a your right it would be tough to beat a vette but not FI. to tired to read the whole thread but my car is daily driven with these mods and has been solid for the last 9k + miles.
Attached Thumbnails Any corvette (c5) killers in here N/A?-dyno-3.jpg  
Old 08-06-2004, 12:26 PM
indochino3

Well just to let all u 350z owners.. anything is possible...I took my car out on a cruz with my friends he had an s2k and was with his gf and i was with my other friend, @ 10pm to los angeles crest,when we can back from the canyon, i was driving my z on the 210 when this ss came up next to me and wanted to go at it.. so i said y not and my other friend was like no way foo and said watch this... so i drop it into 3rd and went for it.... the race was close i knew i wasnt going to smoke him it was head to head and i only beat him half a car length we went at it for about 2 miles and then i guess he was **** that i was in front so shot his nos @130... and beat me by 1 car length..... it was a rush and my friend didnt believe it that i beat him before he hit the nos...My friend that was with me was sooo sacred becasue i we were taking turns on teh freeway arround 130's....It was a good race!!!
Old 08-06-2004, 04:21 PM
Rayden2001

Default Re: Re: Oh Noooooooo

Originally posted by Umrswimr
Nice choice... What color?

I'm waiting for the C6 Z06, myself.
Me too, but I'm keeping my z. I'm gonna get a black one but I'm gonna have it painted lamborghini green. So then I own a lambo orange z and lambo green vette. I can't wait.

Quick Reply: Any corvette (c5) killers in here N/A?